IGNORED

Have I missed something? Bailey Wright not at world cup?

Jcolebristol

7 minutes ago, Jcolebristol said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44083365

Went on here to see if Diedhou made the Senegal squad, unfortunately not. A quick search for Bristol City & only Mags appears. No Bailey Wright for Aus? Is he injured?

This could be a very quick thread, but I cant see anything else on here about it.

Not selected

1 hour ago, Jcolebristol said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44083365

Went on here to see if Diedhou made the Senegal squad, unfortunately not. A quick search for Bristol City & only Mags appears. No Bailey Wright for Aus? Is he injured?

This could be a very quick thread, but I cant see anything else on here about it.

Been out of the country ?

Think it was a combination of his injury for us at the end of the season and the fact he was woeful for Australia against Norway. Their new manager (who’s only had two games with them) played Bailey at RB and he was absolutely destroyed by a team not even going to the WC, so he was ditched for better RBs. He still could’ve done a job for them at CB but I guess that’s where the injury comes into play. 

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Aye it was announced a week or two ago that he’s not been picked, must be the injury that sidelined him tail end of the season. Big shame, he looked a dead cert. 

Injured. Funny how he got “injured” right after that absolute mare he had against Brentford. Indeed he was on the bench for two of our last six games. 

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Aye it was announced a week or two ago that he’s not been picked, must be the injury that sidelined him tail end of the season. Big shame, he looked a dead cert. 

He did have a couple of less than impressive games in their playoffs according to the match reports at the time. He was even subbed off in one I think.

i feel sad for Bailey Wright.  He was burnt out and injury was inevitable.  If I were him I'd want to strangle LJ and Mark Ashton.  Too much was expected of him.  People forget he played in the Confederations Cup last June and left that and came straight to pre-season training.  Then travelled to the other side of the world in September, October and November when the other players had 2 weeks off matches.  

There was talk that the Aussie squad picked a couple of weeks ago was a warm-up / friendly squad as there would be players involved in domestic games or coming back from injuries.  I believed Bailey fell into that group, and was thought to be going in for an op to sort out his knee.  It sounded like there were a couple of bits floating around and a quick exploratory op would sort out and he could make the World Cup (if selected).

That appears to be gone.  I bet Bailey is pig sick that playing through injury has cost him a good chance of a place.  I hope fans recognise that.

Selfishly, Bailey - get that knee sorted, rest and get a full pre-season and see you return to that steady-Eddie we got used to pre-Leeds Utd (away).

3 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Dont understand why people are desperate for our players to be wearing themselves out in the summer. It might be different if we were in the prem with a lot less games to play.

You’re not gonna stop a player wanting to play for his country. So id rather support that rather than hope they never make it.

Plus let’s be honest, it’s win-win when it’s playing for teams like that. If aus or Iceland did as expected, out early, exp gained. If they over achieve, exp gained + morale high

Final Australia squad will be announced no later than June 4.

The preliminary squad are in Turkey and have four days of training, then a friendly against the Czech Republic on Friday.

Still hope but, as mentioned above, he did have a couple of shockers under the new manager, so may well be out of favour.

EDIT - looks very unlikely:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/exclusive-bailey-wright-opens-up-about-world-cup-omission-491687

15 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Dont understand why people are desperate for our players to be wearing themselves out in the summer. It might be different if we were in the prem with a lot less games to play.

Financial reasons too - if a player has a couple of good games in a world cup they can add millions to their value and get big bids.

Magnússon scoring a perfect free kick against Argentina is exactly the sort of thing I can see happening..

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Financial reasons too - if a player has a couple of good games in a world cup they can add millions to their value and get big bids.

Magnússon scoring a perfect free kick against Argentina is exactly the sort of thing I can see happening..

I see we are going to miss out on a fair few  grand due to BWs non selection (In terms of compensation from FIFA)

Just under £6500 per day

The meter starts running TWO WEEKS before the opening match on June 14 and ends the day after a player’s country is eliminated from the competition – 46 days for those that reach the final.

Fifa calculate that this makes a total of 24,500 working days, taking into account the 736 participating players (23-man squads for 32 nations). So the rate per player per day is $8,530 – or just under £6,500.

On 29/05/2018 at 03:49, Davefevs said:

There was talk that the Aussie squad picked a couple of weeks ago was a warm-up / friendly squad as there would be players involved in domestic games or coming back from injuries.  I believed Bailey fell into that group, and was thought to be going in for an op to sort out his knee.  It sounded like there were a couple of bits floating around and a quick exploratory op would sort out and he could make the World Cup (if selected).

That appears to be gone.  I bet Bailey is pig sick that playing through injury has cost him a good chance of a place.  I hope fans recognise that.

Selfishly, Bailey - get that knee sorted, rest and get a full pre-season and see you return to that steady-Eddie we got used to pre-Leeds Utd (away).

Spot on Dave. Bailey initially hurt his knee at QPR in December, he played thru injury for quite a long time for the team - shows what he's made of and why he's a leader.

Ultimately though, its cost him a place at the World Cup. 

Archived