IGNORED

Hordur Magnusson - Signed for CSKA (Merged)

bcfcredandwhite

11 hours ago, Monkeh said:

last time i checked middlesborough werent a prem club, and if he wanted to leave he can submit a transfer request or not sign a new contract,

him wanting to leave is bollocks 

Let’s be honest, every single player we own, in the back of their minds, wants to leave us either to join a bigger club, in the prem or simply to earn more money.

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

It's funny, but even though he wasn't the best defender in the world, I'm gutted about his departure. You almost gloss over his faults as he is such a great person. 

Great guy, loves the fans, we love him, but probably not quite suited to championship football and was probably our weak link in defence a lot of the time. 

Is that fair to say?

Hörður Magnússon passing ability is on a level of players in teams promoted. The actual mistakes leading to goals he makes is in line with players in Wolves side and Fulham's. It depends on what you want in  a player and what your perception is.

When Magnússon played at CB for City he affected the way the team played. The team played shorter, Fielding played to feet through thirds … Sheffield Wednesday at home is an example of how City played entirely differently with Magnússon at CB.  

It is about perceptions and what you want in approach. A way of viewing defenders is that they are footballers and stray passes, wacking, it, putting feet through it is error and weak attempting to play out will lead to less error, but the error this  approach inevitably leads to is part of the risk and its reward. 

Magnússon would have been good enough for a Fulham,  not the required skill set in a Cardiff and Bristol City were a in between.

Would have considered keeping him, but maybe it's for the best- his versatility was useful IMO.

However if selling him enables us to keep Flint, Bryan, Pack and Reid- helping with FFP as it would- then it's a sale worth making IMO- doubt we got the best of him though, but maybe a more counter-attacking style, deeper defence a'la Iceland brings the best out of him.

Best of luck to him in any case.

22 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Have a horrible feeling this will be one we will regret in the years to come.

Still at this point seems to be the best thing for all parties involved!

All the best Mags.

People are talking like he is a promising youngster, at 25 he is close to being in his prime and he should have really taken a lot of those silly mistakes out of his game by now.

If joe Bryan, Aden flint or Nathan baker were Icelandic, they would be ahead of him. Simple.

iceland are a team far greater than the sum of their parts, but as observed in the game against Argentina, his boundless energy enthusiasm and overall niceguyism isn’t enough for us. The Russian league is also pretty poor, probably not far off a championship equivalent overall.

34 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

He made 3 costly errors, Bryan is a shite LB week in week out HM isn’t.

Yet Bryan is expected to cost triple what  Magnússon did, so the professionals clearly don’t agree with your view.

I liked Magnússon, but to say he was a better LB than Bryan is hilarious

42 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

He made 3 costly errors, Bryan is a shite LB week in week out HM isn’t.

He made more then 3 errors,

bryan rarely if ever makes an error but is judged a lot more harshly as he came through the youth ranks, it’s the same with all the players that come through 

If we are playing out from the back, and a pressing Man City style, you need to sign Mags not sell him. We are probably going to our Cardiff style long ball game next season, as per second half of the season. Maybe ... Or has LJ been playing on Championship manager and come up with a new idea. 

On 24/06/2018 at 13:59, Jon6956 said:

Yet Bryan is expected to cost triple what  Magnússon did, so the professionals clearly don’t agree with your view.

I liked Magnússon, but to say he was a better LB than Bryan is hilarious

On 24/06/2018 at 14:04, Monkeh said:

He made more then 3 errors,

bryan rarely if ever makes an error but is judged a lot more harshly as he came through the youth ranks, it’s the same with all the players that come through 

Never said I didn’t like Bryan or that he’s a shite player if you know anything about football you will clearly recognise JB is not a left back and never will be, why LJ continued to play him there is anyones guess, the point I am making is Mags is a much better LB/defender than Joe.

11 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Never said I didn’t like Bryan or that he’s a shite player if you know anything about football you will clearly recognise JB is not a left back and never will be, why LJ continued to play him there is anyones guess, the point I am making is Mags is a much better LB/defender than Joe.

So because I don’t share the same opinion as you I know nothing about football? Right you are, I bow down to your superior knowledge :clapping:

On 20/06/2018 at 13:04, Monkeh said:

he wanted out that much he signed a new contract........... in march towards the end of the season.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43241961

I guess after today this proves my point about a new contract not having anything to do with wanting to stay. As I said before, he is a professional, he signed that contract as a small financial boost for himself and to ensure the club could get a good price for him when he wanted to go. Him signing for Middlesbrough shows that he's chosen to leave, it would be different if it were a Premier League team, but to leave one Championship club for another just leads me to believe the club had no real say in it as why would they sell to a rival club.

22 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Agree with you 100%. JB doesn’t have the positional sense to play LB. Gets caught out numerous times per game but his pace often bails him out! 

Archived