IGNORED

City Squad around the mid 60s.

gavlin

Gutted I missed the end of Atyeo's career, started going to the Gate a season or two too late..  Some great names and faces from that era though.

(amazing looking at the old mid 60's Ashton Gate ground to think that in all honesty it was better then than what the Gas call home now! … reckon they'd move into a 50year old Ashton Gate in a flash today if they had the chance.. Phew mind the gap!)

If any younger fans are wondering what the alphabet board is in the background they were for the half time scores at selected grounds, the games they related to were printed in the matchday programme, ah! the good old days before mobile phones.

5 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Gutted I missed the end of Atyeo's career, started going to the Gate a season or two too late..  Some great names and faces from that era though.

(amazing looking at the old mid 60's Ashton Gate ground to think that in all honesty it was better then than what the Gas call home now! … reckon they'd move into a 50year old Ashton Gate in a flash today if they had the chance.. Phew mind the gap!)

Same here just missed the man but Mr Galley didn't do too bad as a replacement him and Garland ran many defenders ragged; of course then there was the other legend Gow you knew you were tackled when you ran into him.

Great days and memories and I`d rather be back at that ground in a flash proper grounds proper football :mafia:

8 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Gibson, Ford Briggs, Parr, Connor, Low. Derrick, Atyeo, Bush, Clark, Peters.

I'd say 1966.....a young looking Garland and Sharpe not yet 1st teamers......pathway???? Nothing new!

They  are wearing a mixture of the new all red kit and the old red shirts / white shorts kit. From memory, City changed to all red following promotion from division 3, so I guess this is a pre-season picture prior to the 65-66 season in division 2. In those days clubs didn’t have an endless supply of kits, so City probably couldn’t find sufficient sets of the all red for the picture 

9 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Gibson, Ford Briggs, Parr, Connor, Low. Derrick, Atyeo, Bush, Clark, Peters.

I'd say 1966.....a young looking Garland and Sharpe not yet 1st teamers......pathway???? Nothing new!

I’d say 65-66 pre-season. What is now called ‘pathway’ would have been ‘the reserve team’ and Fred Ford has shown in one picture what used to happen. If the first choice number 6 was injured the bloke alongside him in this picture moved up to the first team. 

That was pretty much the team when I started going. Atyeo was passed his best but still a presence, Brian Clark was prolific and Terry Bush had a cannonball of a shot. Our defence was pretty strong too, Jack Connor would tackle anything!

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

They  are wearing a mixture of the new all red kit and the old red shirts / white shorts kit. From memory, City changed to all red following promotion from division 3, so I guess this is a pre-season picture prior to the 65-66 season in division 2. In those days clubs didn’t have an endless supply of kits, so City probably couldn’t find sufficient sets of the all red for the picture 

... and not a badge in sight on any of the shirts!

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

... and not a badge in sight on any of the shirts!

I hated that kit. Apart from a bit of white on the socks and the shirt numbers it was all red. A sort of a fluorescent pillar box red that gave me eye strain when I looked at it.  

The first team: Gibson, Ford Briggs, Parr, Connor, Low. Derrick, Atyeo, Bush, Clark, Peters.  is clear enough, plus Sharpe,Garland, Peter Hooper and Chuck Drury & Ray Savino but I'm struggling after that to name the rest of the reserves....anyone fill in the blanks??

Good to see Harry Dolman, Fred Ford, Les Bardsley and I assume the bloke in the cardigan is John Lillington the secretary ( who's role is now covered by Mark Ashton and a staff of 100)

7 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I imagine you are correct, because it was in the 1965-66 season that I first started watching.

Amongst many observations, two spring immediately to mind, and I am sure somebody on here will be able to assist.

1. The team I recall from that 1965-66 season had Gordon Parr at number 4 (right half), but who is the player in the centre of the photograph, highlighted as number 4 with GP standing on his right?

2. Ray Savino is highlighted in the photo as number 7, but my recollection is that Jantzen Derrick, later of PSG fame, was the right winger back in 1965-66.

Is my memory failing me?

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I imagine you are correct, because it was in the 1965-66 season that I first started watching.

Amongst many observations, two spring immediately to mind, and I am sure somebody on here will be able to assist.

1. The team I recall from that 1965-66 season had Gordon Parr at number 4 (right half), but who is the player in the centre of the photograph, highlighted as number 4 with GP standing on his right?

2. Ray Savino is highlighted in the photo as number 7, but my recollection is that Jantzen Derrick, later of PSG fame, was the right winger back in 1965-66.

Is my memory failing me?

I think no4 is Chuck Drury.  Is that a young Trevor Tainton next to Gordon Low (no6)?

17 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

I think no4 is Chuck Drury.  Is that a young Trevor Tainton next to Gordon Low (no6)?

I never had the pleasure of seeing Chuck Drury play, though I was informed by many that he was quite a hard player; harder even than Gordon Parr, which is saying something.

Incidentally, it does look like TT to me.

Think you are right about it being Trevor Tainton,  I thought originally it was possibly a bit before his time and also he was left half in the photo but I remember him firstly as a right winger then later centre mid, but it certainly looks like it could be him as a young 'un.

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Is my memory failing me?

My memory for that period is a bit vague but I’m sure Ray Savino and Jantzen Derrick’s careers overlapped at City. I can remember seeing them both. Savino definitely played in the promotion season prior to this picture as I can remember him breaking his leg at Carlisle on Good Friday in a 2-2 draw. I don’t usually remember specific things such as this, but the draw seemed to kill City’s hope of promotion. I then saw John Atyeo score 4 goals away to Shrewsbury on the Monday and promotion was back on track! Being a young, impressionable, schoolboy I thought this was how it would always be. How wrong I was 

17 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

My memory for that period is a bit vague but I’m sure Ray Savino and Jantzen Derrick’s careers overlapped at City. I can remember seeing them both. Savino definitely played in the promotion season prior to this picture as I can remember him breaking his leg at Carlisle on Good Friday in a 2-2 draw. I don’t usually remember specific things such as this, but the draw seemed to kill City’s hope of promotion. I then saw John Atyeo score 4 goals away to Shrewsbury on the Monday and promotion was back on track! Being a young, impressionable, schoolboy I thought this was how it would always be. How wrong I was 

I didn't start watching City until the season after promotion, so 1965-66.

I recall seeing RS, so that must have been the same season,; idem JD.

Interestingly, however, whilst my memory says otherwise, WIKI says that TT didn't make his debut until the 1967-68 season.

Think right of number 10 Brian Clarke is Johnny Giles, played in same Bristol Boys team as Trevor Tainton, John Macey who could be right of Gibbo and Dickie Down. Giles only played acouple of first team games then went off to Exeter.

Right of number 9 Terry Bush could be Steve Stacey who started as a Centre Forward but came back to us as a Full Back later.

32 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Think right of number 10 Brian Clarke is Johnny Giles, played in same Bristol Boys team as Trevor Tainton, John Macey who could be right of Gibbo and Dickie Down. Giles only played acouple of first team games then went off to Exeter.

Right of number 9 Terry Bush could be Steve Stacey who started as a Centre Forward but came back to us as a Full Back later.

It -IS Steve Stacey, well done! Recognised him but couldn't recall the name - been flicking through my BCFC history books trying to place that player but he's not shown in any of them.

The 2 lads either side of Gordon Low have got me stumped!

I’m sure the person to the left of Terry Bush (No. 9) is Dickie Downs who played a few first team games for City and then left for the far north - Bradford possibly.  Is the man at the back in the cricket umpires’ cost Les Bardsley?

Archived