IGNORED

Downhearted ?

BigTone

Engvalls gone - Inevitable

Flints gone - sad but also inevitable

Mags gone - sad as I thought he had great potential

Reid - to get £10m for a player who has had one good season in 18 years is an amazing bit of business

Bryan - inevitable he will go next

Am I downhearted ?  - surprisingly not

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Reid - to get £10m for a player who has had one good season in 18 years is an amazing bit of business

Not really, because I can understand why we sold these players.

What I am interested in is how we reinvest the money. We've got to bring in a few direct first teamers and that'll be expensive. These will probably be the most important signings LJ has made during his time here and it's essential they're correct.

If he gets these wrong and we go through a bad run of form early season.. I can't see him staying in his job

I'm not either!

The way we played in the second half of the season showed that a few players really didn't want to be here, and 1 of them has already gone (Flint) with Bryan maybe on his way as well.

Things IMO had gone a bit stale and some new faces were required. Marley in already, Webster looking highly likely, and Marriot a possible with the Scunny lad. We've made some serious profit as well, so personally I'm well happy so far.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What I am interested in is how we reinvest the money. We've got to bring in a few direct first teamers and that'll be expensive. These will probably be the most important signings LJ has made during his time here and it's essential they're correct.

If he gets these wrong and we go through a bad run of form early season.. I can't see him staying in his job

Pretty much sums up where we are at as it stands. This next 6 months will make or break LJ at BCFC. If he makes quality signings and beds them in and we finish at least mid table with a decent home record he will be sitting pretty. If he makes a mess of it and we struggle he wont see the new year. If we are going to develop players to sell and then replace them with other prospects then you cant keep using the excuse that we have bad runs due to a 'young group;, as basically you are just advocating constant failure.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I really think this will be the making or breaking of our time in the Championship. Replacing the spine of the team is not easy but we've seen over the past three years that it was an imperfect spine in any case. Keep with the same team and we'd keep getting great streaks and poor streaks as we know that group of players are prone to extended to winless runs.

But those were decent some players nonetheless and we could really struggle. Ultimately, even if we've been forced to twist rather than stick, this is the point where we gamble our future. Get it right and we might find ourselves in a far stronger position this time next year. Get it wrong and, even if we stay up, we may find ourselves on a slow lurch towards league one...

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really think this will be the making or breaking of our time in the Championship. Replacing the spine of the team is not easy but we've seen over the past three years that it was an imperfect spine in any case. Keep with the same team and we'd keep getting great streaks and poor streaks as we know that group of players are prone to extended to winless runs.

But those were decent some players nonetheless and we could really struggle. Ultimately, even if we've been forced to twist rather than stick, this is the point where we gamble our future. Get it right and we might find ourselves in a far stronger position this time next year. Get it wrong and, even if we stay up, we may find ourselves on a slow lurch towards league one...

I actually think he will get it right too. I've believed in Johnson for a long time, if he has total autonomy of transfers - without any meddling from Ashton - I think he'll recruit well and we'll have another good season.

11 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I'm not either!

The way we played in the second half of the season showed that a few players really didn't want to be here, and 1 of them has already gone (Flint) with Bryan maybe on his way as well.

Things IMO had gone a bit stale and some new faces were required. Marley in already, Webster looking highly likely, and Marriot a possible with the Scunny lad. We've made some serious profit as well, so personally I'm well happy so far.

Pardon my ignorance but I am away in Australia so have been out of the loop a tad. Who is the Scunny lad everybody is referring to ?

Are there any players left that people would be truly shocked/upset if they left?

Personally for me the only one now would be Josh Brownhill as he would be the first name on the team sheet everytime for me, and very much the unsung hero with all his all action displays wherever he is positioned.

1 minute ago, brad blit said:

Are there any players left that people would be truly shocked/upset if they left?

Personally for me the only one now would be Josh Brownhill as he would be the first name on the team sheet everytime for me, and very much the unsung hero with all his all action displays wherever he is positioned.

Personally I think it would be disappointing to see any of Brownhill, Diedhiou, O'Dowda, Kelly, or Pack go.

The first four because they've all got the potential to improve further and become excellent players for us. Pack because he's really blossomed and become an excellent midfielder.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Personally I think it would be disappointing to see any of Brownhill, Diedhiou, O'Dowda, Kelly, or Pack go.

The first four because they've all got the potential to improve further and become excellent players for us. Pack because he's really blossomed and become an excellent midfielder.

Pack will go if he doesn't sign a new contract, fact will be we can probably get £2m-£3m for him with 12 months left so to take him from that from £75k is excellent business.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I did forget about O'Dowda to be fair, he would probably be included in that if he could regain his form before he got injured.

It would not surprise me if Pack was another that leaves this summer....

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I actually think he will get it right too. I've believed in Johnson for a long time, if he has total autonomy of transfers - without any meddling from Ashton - I think he'll recruit well and we'll have another good season.

What I suspect - with no real evidence to back it up - is there have been certain players in the squad who LJ pereceived as detrimental to the group. I actually think the major issue with autonomy may have been less who he was free to recruit than who he was free to move on. When we had the statement a few months back about "difficult choices" during the summer or whatever it was, I think he had reached a point where he had said to the board that some players needed to leave or we would get the same slump each season. I don't know which players those would be and don't necessarily think that is the reason for players who have left this week but I would not be surprised to see more players out before the summer is over...

• Admin
1 hour ago, BigTone said:

We've been here before many times over the years and no doubt a new hero will step up from the shadows over the coming season

I can honestly say since watching City since 1987 the only time I've been really down about a player leaving was when Scott Murray left for Reading, I was just off to Glastonbury festival, I was on a downer all sober parts of that weekend

feeling totally deflated and defeated tbh. After all the good work and progress it feels like we've let the handbrake go. I'm hoping to be proved wrong, and I'm hoping we pump the cash back and sign well. It just feels so city and so predictable. Landing Marriott would be a good start. 

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Not at all. As ever looking forward to the start of the season. The only cloud is the hysteria regarding the selling of a couple of players. It’s quite embarrassing really. 

Thing is though most fans are realistic and knew this would happen but dont feel the need to be keyboard warriors.  If we Sell players like O'Dowda or Brownhill young players who will only get better then yes I would be  angry. It will be interesting to see how we replace this players as Tone said above .

I'm a little downhearted but in all honesty but the main blow for me was Flint rather than Bobby, I still feel like the price was too low and it's not just what he offered on the field but off of it too, he's a real positive guy.

I think Webster looks like a really good signing if he can stay fit which helps soften the blow but I think my optimism will be based on who we bring in now.

I'm crushed.

We've lost the crown jewels. The men in charge of replacing the Great Star of Africa could easily try and replace it with the Alright Star of Barnsley.

Joking aside this is devastating. I'm very realistic about our position in the footballing world, I understand why they've gone but that doesn't mean I'm not massively saddened by it.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

What I suspect - with no real evidence to back it up - is there have been certain players in the squad who LJ pereceived as detrimental to the group. I actually think the major issue with autonomy may have been less who he was free to recruit than who he was free to move on. When we had the statement a few months back about "difficult choices" during the summer or whatever it was, I think he had reached a point where he had said to the board that some players needed to leave or we would get the same slump each season. I don't know which players those would be and don't necessarily think that is the reason for players who have left this week but I would not be surprised to see more players out before the summer is over...

Interesting conjecture LB.

Germany had  avery strong squad going into the WC yet almost across the board  the pundits have commented that something is not right within the squad. Perhaps it is that after a period of time, some players - or more likely, small groups of players - become a bit too big for the squad. Perhaps this then makes it difficult for new players to be accepted and break into the team because of a "controlling clique". Have we got this sort of issue in our dressing room?

I am absolutely not ITK in this regard, but when i was playing, back in the days when they kept score with wax tablets, I moved around with my job, so was always an outsider coming in to the clubs I joined and at one or two clubs it quickly became apparent that there was a small group of players who either had the managers ear, or had a huge amount of influence within the dressing room.

Ive read loads of posts over the last season or so commenting that it is the nucleus of the promotion team that has been crucial for LJ. In order for us to move on and improve perhaps we need to make a clean break from our league 1 days, halcyon though the promotion season might have been. Losing players like Flint. Reid and Bryan is no easy thing, but it might just turn out to be a blessing in disguise longer term.

Sorry to sound optimistic, but if we're going to lose players it's good that it happens early, so we don't have to panic buy a replacement or get left in the lurch. Apologies if this implies that someone working at the club is mildly competent, as we all know that's not true :whistle2:

Archived