IGNORED

We are getting a brand new team next season

Squire Dastardly

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The period between the ‘early’ Window closing and the ‘loan’ window closing will see teams scrambling to cover injuries and also picking up out of contract players.

I’d forgotten about loan players, or probably subconsciously dismissed them after our recent experiences. :facepalm:

I should think more Tammy and less Diony. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’d forgotten about loan players, or probably subconsciously dismissed them after our recent experiences. :facepalm:

I should think more Tammy and less Diony. :thumbsup:

Think it will be a funny window.  No idea how it is gonna pan out.  Got to be prepared to move quickly.

12 hours ago, screech said:

Flint and Reid were the better performers throughout the season, we've lost solid performers and goals and the replacements are ............ Fresh faces happen every summer, reports suggest that we have signed inconsistent players to replace solid performers, i.e more punts in the market.

I'll get excited when the proven quality appears on the website to replace these two.

We still have in our squad the ones who didn't turn up after December, will they turn up this season, hope so.

This time last year we were worried who would  replace the solid performer and consistent goalscoring Tammy Abraham.

The "proven quality" replacement turned out to be the previously inconsistent Bobby Reid - were any of us excited by that in the run up to the start of last season? Similarly, Wilbraham was the previously  inconsistent and notoriously non-scoring striker, until he came here and that turned out more than OK.

Don't get me wrong, the summer and start of the season are huge for LJ as we have lost 2 key players from last season, and will probable one more,  and the slump in the second half of the season lost him much of the credit he gained for the first half of the season. I don't expect us to bring in the so called "proven" players so many fans call for, not because we can't afford the transfer fees.but because we can't afford the wages.

Imagine we had gained promotion and appointed the all knowing sage of football management that is Neil Warnock ( as he is, according to many experts on here) to keep us there. How would we now feel if he had spent £10m on a striker, if that player had just one season out of his 8 year senior career where he had managed any level of goalscoring success and that was  in the championship? Does Bobby Reid's last season constuitute £10m worth of proven quality at premier league level if you are buying him?

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Oh, the Reid that spent 8 very but part wilderness years prior to turning in a good half season. Bryan had a very short spell recovering at Plymouth and I think may have had a fitness month early in his career at Bath, so not exact long-term development loans. And who else, go on who else? Funny every time we're short of stock (laughable given the numbers lurking in the cupboard) we go to the market and buy, presumably because we don't rate what we have. Two young 'uns who put in decent turns at Watford in the Cup only to be banished? Only one game but are they really going to learn more at Solihull Moors than with us?

How many did we have out on loan last term? How many had we paid good money for? Did they set the lower leagues slight or were most of the reports from their clubs, er, less than complementary?

So we've 'retained' yet another who's going to learn all that Rotherham can teach him, really? That's a model for success?

you think reid only had a good half of a season?

you're ether very slow or a troll

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

you think reid only had a good half of a season?

you're ether very slow or a troll

It's clear you've an issue with me, not that I'm remotely bothered, but I'm neither stupid ( if that's what you infer by bring slow) or a troll.

Reid was effective for about half the games he played in , in which he was very good indeed. He also played a comparable number of games whereby other than running around chasing rainbows he was pretty much ineffective, not that was necessarily his fault given he was tasked to play a role I don't think he can in system whereby we didn't support him. Too often isolated with aimless balls pumped in his direction that he wouldn't have competed for had he carried a step ladder. We can debate whether on those occasions when, in frustration,  he dropped so deep as to try and get near the ball he was being a proactive player  else recklessly derelicting the duties he'd been tasked to carry out, but that matters not. It's easy to remember the many highlights, not so the many the mind-numbing ineffective passages of play that accompanied them. Reid's performances mirrored the team's results: we were partly brilliant yet also significantly woeful. That's why we ended up mid table.

On 03/07/2018 at 12:09, BTRFTG said:

It's clear you've an issue with me, not that I'm remotely bothered, but I'm neither stupid ( if that's what you infer by bring slow) or a troll.

Reid was effective for about half the games he played in , in which he was very good indeed. He also played a comparable number of games whereby other than running around chasing rainbows he was pretty much ineffective, not that was necessarily his fault given he was tasked to play a role I don't think he can in system whereby we didn't support him. Too often isolated with aimless balls pumped in his direction that he wouldn't have competed for had he carried a step ladder. We can debate whether on those occasions when, in frustration,  he dropped so deep as to try and get near the ball he was being a proactive player  else recklessly derelicting the duties he'd been tasked to carry out, but that matters not. It's easy to remember the many highlights, not so the many the mind-numbing ineffective passages of play that accompanied them. Reid's performances mirrored the team's results: we were partly brilliant yet also significantly woeful. That's why we ended up mid table.

I was going to post a quite lengthy response, but suffice to say your post sort of mirrors my own view (about BR, not whether or not you are stupid :innocent06:.)

Bobby Reid is, unquestionably, an extremely talented footballer; a sort of goalscoring Jack Wilshere if you like, but he has only performed at such a high level (with City) for one season.

Next season in the Premier League will prove whether BR is really the star some think he is or, rather, and as I fear may be the case, just a one-year wonder.

I really and truly hope that BR succeeds in the Premier League (although I should have felt more comfortable supporting him playing for Fulham or Bournemouth, rather than Cardiff!), and I am sure we will all applaud him if and when he scores on MotD.

Hopefully, having discovered that the grass is not that much greener in Wales, he comes back more experienced (and certainly more wealthy) to the club with whom he developed in to the top clas player he undoubtedly is. 

1 hour ago, Unan said:

If our widemen don't track back and double over defensively then we will come equally unstuck this year, something Paterson has always failed to do when playing on the wing.

Disagree.  At the end of 16/17 he worked really hard on LM in front of Bryan following Tomlin’s Drop.  He might not be the greatest defensive LM, but he tried to put a shift in.  

Did the same at start of 17/18, until virus, then started playing alongside Reid centrally.  I wonder whether he never got his energy back fully.

I think we see him as lightweight and certainly lacked a work post-Xmas, so we then unconsciously bias our opinion of what he was like previously.

He’s never gonna go round steaming into tackles, but he’s always put in a reasonable shift.

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Disagree.  At the end of 16/17 he worked really hard on LM in front of Bryan following Tomlin’s Drop.  He might not be the greatest defensive LM, but he tried to put a shift in.  

Did the same at start of 17/18, until virus, then started playing alongside Reid centrally.  I wonder whether he never got his energy back fully.

I think we see him as lightweight and certainly lacked a work post-Xmas, so we then unconsciously bias our opinion of what he was like previously.

He’s never gonna go round steaming into tackles, but he’s always put in a reasonable shift.

Yeah this is probably correct, when writing the comment I only thought about my most recent memories of him. Either way the point still stands, minus the Pato part, I don't imagine Adelakun done the most defensively at Scunny so hopefully that's drilled in to him in pre season.

Archived