IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Sparkz 76

To be honest I’m a bit surprised at Joe not signing a new contract with us with say a release clause. Joe is a great lad and a pillar of the community with his charity work and wot not. Being a Bristol lad I thought he might of signed an extension. I know Bobby was also a Bristol lad and buggered off to Cardiff.

Does anyone think we should offload or run his contract down and let him go for free.

What ever Joe decides he has given us fantastic memories Man Utd and Rovers goals and the Swindon goal sticks to mind.

I wish him all the best regardless of his decision.

5 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

To be honest I’m a bit surprised at Joe not signing a new contract with us with say a release clause. Joe is a great lad and a pillar of the community with his charity work and wot not. Being a Bristol lad I thought he might of signed an extension. I know Bobby was also a Bristol lad and buggered off to Cardiff.

Does anyone think we should offload or run his contract down and let him go for free.

What ever Joe decides he has given us fantastic memories Man Utd and Rovers goals and the Swindon goal sticks to mind.

In my opinion he’s far more ambitious and ruthless than you’d think. In my opinion he wants to be in the Prem and match Reid.

I expect him to go this window. If not to a Prem team he will go to a big club in this division that seem better placed for promotion than us. 

I also wouldn’t be that surprised to see him involved in the possible Kieran Tierney transfer. Seems he’s going this summer as he’s very hot property. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Celtic bid for Bryan in that instance. Besides, hasn’t he got Scottish heritage? Maybe he would move there and explore playing for Scotland. Just wild speculation on my part though.

Doubt he’ll be our player by the end of the window though.

6 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

So he's got 23 other teams to choose from? Great!!!!!!

Haha well what I mean really is those clubs who can potentially double or triple his wages whilst offering him a better shot - on paper anyway - at promotion.

Boro, Derby, the relegated sides, Villa etc.. 

I’d love it if he went to boro with Flint and we beat them in the play off final. Or better still they don’t even make the play offs. Fair enough if you want to play prem football, sign for a prem team. If not do your absolute best to get your boyhood club promoted instead of middlesborough. We’ve shown we can get ourselves in the position, just players like Bryan who helped us slip out of it. All this nonsense of “well I’d have a better chance at this club” bollocks! You all had the golden chance last season! The way this league is looking at the moment it really doesn’t matter who you play for, there’s about 14/15 teams with a solid chance, we’re one of them. 

As you can see, I wish Joe Bryan well on his move to boro. 

To be honest, I'm surprised he's still here.  I thought he'd be the first out of the door this summer.

Be very interesting to see if he's involved in any way against Bitton.

Either way, if, and this is a big IF, he develops his game further, It'll be fascinating to see if he reaches the top and pushes for an International place.

14 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Either way, if, and this is a big IF, he develops his game further, It'll be fascinating to see if he reaches the top and pushes for an International place.

I’d say there’s no chance of him playing for England.

If he had heritage for one of the other home nations - pretty sure he has Scottish heritage - he could probably stand a better chance there. 

6 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

One day he will leave and people will realise what we have lost

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If he had heritage for one of the other home nations - pretty sure he has Scottish heritage - he could probably stand a better chance there. 

Two years ago nobody would think Maguire or Trippier would play for England. Two years previous to that and Vardy had ‘no chance’.

You never know in football

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Two years ago nobody would think Maguire or Trippier would play for England. Two years previous to that and Vardy had ‘no chance’.

You never know in football

Yep that’s true. Just my opinion but I don’t think he’s got it in him. Would be very pleased to see him prove me wrong. 

I also think we have a fair few good left sided players who he’d be competing with.. the next one coming through being Sessegnon who I hope we get involved in the main squad pretty soon.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep that’s true. Just my opinion but I don’t think he’s got it in him. Would be very pleased to see him prove me wrong. 

I also think we have a fair few good left sided players who he’d be competing with.. the next one coming through being Sessegnon who I hope we get involved in the main squad pretty soon.

I would love to know why he wont sign. Automatic thought is money but not sure he is that type. Maybe he sees himself as a midfielder in a three or left winger/wing back. Maybe he doesnt like Johnson. Fans abuse seems to get to him. 

I think he could hold his own in the Premier League but again just my opinion!

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I would love to know why he wont sign. Automatic thought is money but not sure he is that type. Maybe he sees himself as a midfielder in a three or left winger/wing back. Maybe he doesnt like Johnson. Fans abuse seems to get to him. 

I think he could hold his own in the Premier League but again just my opinion!

I’ve heard he is pretty money motivated, but not in the typical footballer flashy way - wants to be sensible with it and grow his wealth. A bit like Johnson when he was a player. 

I think he’ll want to match Reid and probably Reid’s move has made Bryan fancy a change too if he wasn’t already. I also heard he wanted out in January but that was rejected. Not sure how true that is though.

I would love to see him get a shot at the Prem. I wouldn’t begrudge him a move at all, he’s given us many years of his life.

I agree that fan abuse - or just critique in general - does seem to effect him more than most. A few unnecessary comments on his social media indicate that.

Flint wanted out, and he signed a year extension - enough to ensure the club gets what they want, and enough to ensure he could be sold when the market was right.

I say we either do the same for Bryan, with a £10m release clause for anyone that wants him immediately, or we tell him that if he chooses to not sign and he isn't gone for around that figure this summer then he won't play at all this year.

Yes, Bryan will go on a free, but he'll lose an entire year of football when it's important that he plays. Furthermore, his stock will plummet, and the best he'll hope for is a sideways move away from his friends and family.

3 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Flint wanted out, and he signed a year extension - enough to ensure the club gets what they want, and enough to ensure he could be sold when the market was right.

I say we either do the same for Bryan, with a £10m release clause for anyone that wants him immediately, or we tell him that if he chooses to not sign and he isn't gone for around that figure this summer then he won't play at all this year.

Yes, Bryan will go on a free, but he'll lose an entire year of football when it's important that he plays. Furthermore, his stock will plummet, and the best he'll hope for is a sideways move away from his friends and family.

Over the top.

A contract works for both parties, look at Gary O'Neil, we just let him go at the end of the contract. Imagine if he said he wouldn't play unless we offered him a new one?

Joe is a great lad, ruining his career by not playing him, purely because he only has one year left, is out of order really.

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Over the top.

A contract works for both parties, look at Gary O'Neil, we just let him go at the end of the contract. Imagine if he said he wouldn't play unless we offered him a new one?

Joe is a great lad, ruining his career by not playing him, purely because he only has one year left, is out of order really.

Completely agree. Doesnt do player, club or squad any good in the long run

58 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd agree about England, but anything could happen, if JB had a couple of decent Prem seasons under his belt, who knows?

11 minutes ago, Selred said:

Over the top.

Those two are hardly comparable, especially from a value perspective.

Like it or not, but football is a business, and if you're happy to spunk your value away then as a business you won't last very long. Gary O'Neil could've been let go because his value was low, whereas Joe Bryan's value is still extremely high.

Clubs do it all the time, and they should. As you say, a contract goes both ways, and while a club can let a player go to chase dreams of playing better football, the club can also enforce the contract they made with the player, and if no one will pay enough to pay off the remainder of his contract then we may as well keep him on the books and throw a handful of games his way this season.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

We need there to be actual bids for him first. 

Well thank god for you - that never occurred to me.

This of course presumes there has not been but the club have been able to keep under the radar thus far.

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

Well thank god for you - that never occurred to me.

This of course presumes there has not been but the club have been able to keep under the radar thus far.

My thoughts too.  I guess there is a lot of grey between interest and bids.  

29 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Suicidal idea and no way to treat Joe or anybody else. Even if we did that why would anybody decent want to join us if that's the way we operate.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Get rid now and get Kelly playing - letting any asset go for nothing is not good business

So was it poor business by Fulham to keep Ryan Fredericks last season, bearing in mind he was voted the best right back in the league and Fulham went up, which potentially they wouldn't have done without him?

Generally what you say makes sense, but it might not be that simple.

29 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Suicidal idea and no way to treat Joe or anybody else. Even if we did that why would anybody decent want to join us if that's the way we operate.

Yet it was fine to treat Flint in this way when his head was turned?

Again, like it or not, but this is how football operates. Hell, this is how companies operate. If someone wants out, separate them from the rest of the team, otherwise it'll spread.

If anyone thinking of bidding for Joe was watching his performances in 2018, they may think twice.  In 2017 he was playing fantastically.  In 2018 he was hardly ever going forward and his defensive play was a lot less solid.

Not sure what happened to him after Christmas.  I know but the team was not playing well but perhaps he was carrying an injury.  do you think that he may have become a bit complacent after his performances in the League Cup?

Just now, wendyredredrobin said:

If anyone thinking of bidding for Joe was watching his performances in 2018, they may think twice.  In 2017 he was playing fantastically.  In 2018 he was hardly ever going forward and his defensive play was a lot less solid.

Good job that they'll definitely look at a far bigger sample of games than just 2018 then :facepalm:

Archived