IGNORED

Newport friendly

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Now behind closed doors. Disappointed as I hadn’t been to Newport. Perhaps to do with World Cup semi finals. 

Correct.

"Both clubs have reviewed the fixture and have decided that, particularly in the light of the potential for England to be engaged in a World Cup semi-final on the same evening, the costs of staging the match would far outweigh any revenue derived from it and is therefore not commercially viable."

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2018/july/pre-season-bristol-city/

My lad ( now fully grown) still has embedded in his memory that pre-season we played them at Cwmbran. One of his first fixtures and only a toddler he asked: "Dad, why has that man no clothes on?"

If you're the City fan whose mates stitched him up by not appearing on the far terrace with a spare set of clothes I feel for you, last seen a**e disappearing over the back of the terrace stewards in pursuit. Hysterical.

48 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I've been to Newport to change train/bus/rail replacement.

You haven't missed out.

I went to Newport in March 1981 to watch them play Carl Zeiss Jena in the quarter finals of the European Cup Winners Cup second leg.

They had drawn 2-2 in Switzerland, but lost 1-0 at home in front of a full Somerton Park crowd.

A great game and one that I will always remember.

12 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

My giveafuckometer is firmly at zero.

Yet you gave enough of one to open this clearly titled thread and comment. 

Anyway, this fixture was always a bit strange. Due to ground works was either going to be played at Newport stadium,  which is approx 3 miles away from the train station or at Newport’s ground. It hadn’t been announced so I thought something was up, and then the World Cup progress happened. Even if England weren’t in it I think many like to watch the semi finals, especially as they are on tv at a reasonable time.

Also the match is the next day to the WSM match, even with split squads how many first team squad players will feature. 

20 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I went to Newport in March 1981 to watch them play Carl Zeiss Jena in the quarter finals of the European Cup Winners Cup second leg.

They had drawn 2-2 in Switzerland, but lost 1-0 at home in front of a full Somerton Park crowd.

Ok I'll bite,why would an East German team be playing in Switzerland ?

45 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Was that with Tynan and Aldridge up front?

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

I spent two weeks working there either side of bonfire night - it was like bloody Beirut.

When I said I hadn’t been to Newport I should have been more succinct. I meant their current ground now they’re back in the EFL. I did see us play a friendly at some little ground out near the car auctions, and I have had a drink in Newport, which I wouldn’t recommend albeit it’s probably better than Merthyr or Pontypridd.  

When I said I hadn’t been to Newport I should have been more succinct. I meant their current ground now they’re back in the EFL. I did see us play a friendly at some little ground out near the car auctions, and I have had a drink in Newport, which I wouldn’t recommend albeit it’s probably better than Merthyr or Pontypridd.  

If ever the expression `damning with faint praise` needed an example that`s it right there!

The council`s tourist board ought to use it;

`Visit Newport. It`s not as bad as Merthyr or Pontypridd.`

My uni campus was in Treforest, about 2 miles from Pontypridd.

Treforest outdoes Pontypridd on the whiteness scale, because if not for the uni it would probably be abandoned.

Merthyr I only went to for football matches when a Bristol side were playing them, even the walk from the ground to the station was too much time spent there.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

If ever the expression `damning with faint praise` needed an example that`s it right there!

The council`s tourist board ought to use it;

`Visit Newport. It`s not as bad as Merthyr or Pontypridd.`

See, I didn't mind Pontypridd.

It was a dump, but so much better than (the limited bits of) Merthyr (that I saw).

Archived