IGNORED

Aston Villa in serious trouble (Merged)

42104RED

Good old Steve Lansdown realised that spending vast sums on transfer fees and salaries was a recipe for disaster. It’s taken a while to change things,  and it’s meant that some players have been sold, but we’re on the verge of having a steady Championship team and financial stability 

29 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Hourihane please. Use Kodjia outstanding fees as leverage.

:shifty:

Cash is king for Villa at the moment. They won’t let anyone go unless they are getting £££ in. 

They’ll leave their debt to us outstanding. I wonder how much we are owed? You’d have to think it’s at risk. 

28 minutes ago, City Ben said:

I wonder how much we are owed? You’d have to think it’s at risk. 

Although the rules have changed , football debts used to be paid first, I don't think we're in much danger of losing the money. They have assets and I imagine of it gets that serious football debts would still come just after HMRC,  I think they made a payment recently after chasing up money they were owed. I'd like to think we would be looking at the situation though.

39 minutes ago, Negan said:

Surely we can go in for a player and say don’t worry about what’s owed, we’ll take him for free. Lansbury would be top of my list. 

He would be the very bottom of mine. He has about 2 good games a season.

He has got a wonderful reputation considering  he has done nothing other than move from Arsenal to various biggish championship clubs, earns a load and flatters to deceive.

I really do wonder why his names gets banded around so often.  He had done bugger all for years. I bet they are gagging to get him off the books for ffp  reasons.

43 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Wonder if it's like "don't pay, we'll take it away" we could have him back for the start of the season.  ;)

I believe back in the early 80's we signed Ray Harford from Newcastle but missed a payment and they "repossessed" him and sold him on to clear the debt.

18 minutes ago, numbeast said:

I believe back in the early 80's we signed Ray Harford from Newcastle but missed a payment and they "repossessed" him and sold him on to clear the debt.

I remember the deal, gutted when we imploded and had to send him back so they could sell him on to someone with money. Great player.

21 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember the deal, gutted when we imploded and had to send him back so they could sell him on to someone with money. Great player.

Hard man - would not have fancied being a defender having to mark him.

44 minutes ago, TRL said:

He would be the very bottom of mine. He has about 2 good games a season.

He has got a wonderful reputation considering  he has done nothing other than move from Arsenal to various biggish championship clubs, earns a load and flatters to deceive.

I really do wonder why his names gets banded around so often.  He had done bugger all for years. I bet they are gagging to get him off the books for ffp  reasons.

Me too. Really dont get the Lansbury hype. 

Lazy and to me gives off the kind of ‘i’m entitled’ look. 

Cant quite say hes stealing a wage but hes definitely earning more than hes worth!

1 hour ago, numbeast said:

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Mick* not Ray

Think we were due the next instalment based on appearances.

My first real favourite player.  Loved Mick.

19 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Good old Steve Lansdown realised that spending vast sums on transfer fees and salaries was a recipe for disaster. It’s taken a while to change things,  and it’s meant that some players have been sold, but we’re on the verge of having a steady Championship team and financial stability 

Still though, there is a happy medium- between seizing a moment at an opportune time and financial responsibility.

We could have made a bigger push in Jan, owing to a healthy FFP position. Villa clearly went nuts, bet the farm but IMO 6 month loan for Mitrovic, Grabban or Afobe had any one of them chose to come here? We could have afforded as a one-time hit. Especially with Kent and Diony had we not gone for one or both of them- but that's a bit of an alternative history.

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Still though, there is a happy medium- between seizing a moment at an opportune time and financial responsibility.

We could have made a bigger push in Jan, owing to a healthy FFP position. Villa clearly went nuts, bet the farm but IMO 6 month loan for Mitrovic, Grabban or Afobe had any one of them chose to come here? We could have afforded as a one-time hit. Especially with Kent and Diony had we not gone for one or both of them- but that's a bit of an alternative history.

our problem was keeping goals out not scoring them so i don't think they would of made a difference 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

our problem was keeping goals out not scoring them so i don't think they would of made a difference 

Not saying we'd have gone up top 2, but I think one of those 3 could have pushed us over the line for playoffs.

When you then are in the playoffs, anything can happen.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not saying we'd have gone up top 2, but I think one of those 3 could have pushed us over the line for playoffs.

When you then are in the playoffs, anything can happen.

What gets lost here is the player’s decision. Those 3 went to Villa, Fulham and Wolves. All with recent premier league history. All with more well known managers. Mitrovic went with a manager that gave him his start. Grabban went with Steve Bruce and Afobe went back to the club that got him his premier league move and where he is loved not to mention Nuno. They were never coming to Ashton Gate even if we agreed to pay their ridiculous wages. We were battling it out with the Sheff Uniteds and Prestons of the world for Kent and fair play we won that even if he didn’t fit in. 

Our season didn’t go south because we didn’t recruit well in January. It went south through a ridiculous number of serious injuries, fatigue and a lack of nous on the pitch when times got a bit harder. Don’t underestimate either teams adapting to our style either. Big teams played football against us and we found goals. The second time around they were more patient and hit us on the counter. Would Afobe, Grabban or Mitrovic helped that stretch? Surely but doubtful that it would have seen us make playoffs. 

Steve Bruce seems to have a reputation lately of being a crisis hit clubs - Birmingham, Hull and now Villa.  Is it time to wonder if he causes part of the problem..? 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What gets lost here is the player’s decision. Those 3 went to Villa, Fulham and Wolves. All with recent premier league history. All with more well known managers. Mitrovic went with a manager that gave him his start. Grabban went with Steve Bruce and Afobe went back to the club that got him his premier league move and where he is loved not to mention Nuno. They were never coming to Ashton Gate even if we agreed to pay their ridiculous wages. We were battling it out with the Sheff Uniteds and Prestons of the world for Kent and fair play we won that even if he didn’t fit in. 

Our season didn’t go south because we didn’t recruit well in January. It went south through a ridiculous number of serious injuries, fatigue and a lack of nous on the pitch when times got a bit harder. Don’t underestimate either teams adapting to our style either. Big teams played football against us and we found goals. The second time around they were more patient and hit us on the counter. Would Afobe, Grabban or Mitrovic helped that stretch? Surely but doubtful that it would have seen us make playoffs. 

Oh I don't disagree from that angle.

Afobe for a start was especially a no-brainer to return to Wolves when they were in on loan you're quite right.

Didn't know about the Mitrovic and Jokanovic connection- that would make sense too.

Grabban? Maybe.

Agree about lack of nous, serious injuries, fatigue- it all contributed, big parts in fact.

What I am saying though is that we could on paper have afforded the loan of one of those 3. Just IMO of course- whether they would have come is a different debate.

I also maintain we should have finished 5th or 6th, but maybe my expectations were out of kilter?

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh I don't disagree from that angle.

Afobe for a start was especially a no-brainer to return to Wolves when they were in on loan you're quite right.

Didn't know about the Mitrovic and Jokanovic connection- that would make sense too.

Grabban? Maybe.

Agree about lack of nous, serious injuries, fatigue- it all contributed, big parts in fact.

What I am saying though is that we could on paper have afforded the loan of one of those 3. Just IMO of course- whether they would have come is a different debate.

I also maintain we should have finished 5th or 6th, but maybe my expectations were out of kilter?

Fair enough. 

6 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Steve Bruce seems to have a reputation lately of being a crisis hit clubs - Birmingham, Hull and now Villa.  Is it time to wonder if he causes part of the problem..? 

No, but perhaps he’s too keen to take the money without any due diligence on the clubs, or ignores the risks with dodgy owners.

29 minutes ago, Leveller said:

No, but perhaps he’s too keen to take the money without any due diligence on the clubs, or ignores the risks with dodgy owners.

He's starting to get Redlknapp esk at it thou! 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not sure about that. Had we recrutied at a minimum a top striker who hit form immediately and a first team right back plus cover elsewhere where necessary, I can't imagine we'd have imploded like we did. The other things you mention are factors of course, and all of them true, but good recruitment in January would've made the difference in my opinion.

Of course, signing these players at reasonable prices is easier said than done but that's another debate.

Archived