IGNORED

Birmingham City Transfer Embargo / Points Deduction (Merged)

It’sSmiittthhh

On 11/09/2018 at 16:04, cidered abroad said:

Just spoke with a Blues fan here in Burnham and he said he'd heard that they are getting a 12 pt deduction for a recent loan signing.

Anyone else know anything?

Yep..... https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11694/11492703/birmingham-could-face-12-point-deduction-for-breaking-financial-fair-play-rules

27 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Bolton didn't go into administration as expected. Seems like people were making threats which weren't carried through. I expect it will be the same with Birmingham.

Birmingham is different. They’ve broken FFP allegedly. Bolton were having cash flow issues not FFP probs. 

36 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

And some on here want SL to ‘break the bank’ to get to the premier league...

To paraphrase the old saying; " A fool and someone else's money are easily parted!"

Sky have just done a report on Birmingham for the live game tonight relating to their situation. They deserve a points deduction after taking the piss re Pedersen. Interesting to know though that there is a £7m shortfall in tv revenue / solidarity payments from the prem if they drop down to league 1. Obviously nowhere near prem payments but I personally didn’t know it was as much as £7m 

On 13/09/2018 at 09:55, Davefevs said:

Birmingham is different. They’ve broken FFP allegedly. Bolton were having cash flow issues not FFP probs. 

I realise they have different issues. Seems to me we regularly hear these stories of impending doom but in most cases nothing actually gets done.

Points deductions are oft threatened but rarely come to pass. Partly because journalists love to focus on bad news stories.

About the last thing they said in the studio on Sky last night was that they could get a twelve point deduction but doubted if they would. it sounded a little bit too ITK to me.

if the EFL back down massively on the first case like this they lose all credibility and everyone else might as well say `**** you` and carry on as normal.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

I realise they have different issues. Seems to me we regularly hear these stories of impending doom but in most cases nothing actually gets done.

Points deductions are oft threatened but rarely come to pass. Partly because journalists love to focus on bad news stories.

12 point deduction is the automatic penalty for administration- that's Bolton's case. They were bailed out at the last so for now, no admin and no points deduction. 

As for Birmingham, EFL have to take a stand- I dare say some of their actions were down to serious ignorance or a belief that as in their home countries, the authorities may be pliable- but that's no excuse at all.

12 point deduction seems to fit the crime, but one school of thought is that it maybe 6 pts this season and 6 suspended or maybe 6 this and 6 next.

42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Update on this.

Latest talk is that Birmingham's points deduction will be 15 points. EFL have the power as they now appear to be clarifying it, to dock anything up to 21 points- depends on the severity of the breach, repetition of the breach and so on.

The fact that it’s Bitmingham and not one of the true big fish, means the EFL can ‘go to town’ on this one, and make Brum an example and then hit future clubs with ‘the precedent’ has been set.

Had it been Vills first, they’d have bottled it.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The fact that it’s Bitmingham and not one of the true big fish, means the EFL can ‘go to town’ on this one, and make Brum an example and then hit future clubs with ‘the precedent’ has been set.

Had it been Vills first, they’d have bottled it.

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be the case.

The punishments a bit all over the shop though, QPR- embargo (but not until Jan) fine (but over 10 years and x pct converted to equity was it?)

'Oh and by the way you can loan Wells, Hemed, Cameron and sign Rangel on a free.' The first 3 of whom would have been on contracts at their parent clubs on PL wages!

17 minutes ago, Unan said:

Hopefully they get fined points, I’m sure they wouldn’t be top 6, but that’ll be one less team to worry about.

They'll be a cert to go down if they do.

We should've put them down the season before last and they picked up a fair few wins towards the end of last season to drag themselves out of the drop zone again after being in/around it all season. 

Plus, they still haven't won a game this season. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be the case.

The punishments a bit all over the shop though, QPR- embargo (but not until Jan) fine (but over 10 years and x pct converted to equity was it?) 'Oh and by the way you ca loan Wells, Hemed, Cameron and sign Rangel on a free '.

QPR saved by the the fact that it was under the previous rules.  

Hiwever, looking at their recent results, we definitely played them at the right time.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

QPR saved by the the fact that it was under the previous rules.  

Hiwever, looking at their recent results, we definitely played them at the right time.

I wonder why their Embargo wasn't effective immediately though. Unless that was also part of old rules.

Agreed, they're putting a bit of a run together now!

23 hours ago, paul_fox said:

About time and probably a chance to have a clear out 

I think you could be right, a bit like us a few years ago. Give up on hanging on by the skin of your teeth and spunking loads of cash to do so, go down, clear out the deadwood and come back stronger for it. A step backwards needed to take two forwards.

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think you could be right, a bit like us a few years ago. Give up on hanging on by the skin of your teeth and spunking loads of cash to do so, go down, clear out the deadwood and come back stronger for it. A step backwards needed to take two forwards.

Wouldn't mind Che Adams from them if they do 

Sounds like Villa aren't out of the woods yet either.

Aston Villa are latest Championship club who could be facing a a points deduction f they are found in breach of financial rules.

Midlands rivals Birmingham City could be looking at a 15-point penalty for breaching the rules this season. They are set to face a disciplinary panel on charges of breaking the EFL's profit and sustainability rules and the Times now suggests that Villa could also be punished for a similar offence.

The report says that Villa could be docked 12 Championship points next season after breaking the spending cap.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sounds like Villa aren't out of the woods yet either.

Aston Villa are latest Championship club who could be facing a a points deduction f they are found in breach of financial rules.

Midlands rivals Birmingham City could be looking at a 15-point penalty for breaching the rules this season. They are set to face a disciplinary panel on charges of breaking the EFL's profit and sustainability rules and the Times now suggests that Villa could also be punished for a similar offence.

The report says that Villa could be docked 12 Championship points next season after breaking the spending cap.

This will be the acid test. Will the EFL have the guts to punish a big club or will they bottle it and pick the easy targets?

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

This will be the acid test. Will the EFL have the guts to punish a big club or will they bottle it and pick the easy targets?

If it was just Birmingham I think they would have. They`re the ideal target - `big` club fallen on hard times that have been mismanaged for years and are a financial basket case. Very few fans of other clubs like them and most would applaud them being made an example of.

Now Villa are involved though things change and they may well bottle it.

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

What happens if Villa are promoted to the PL? 

As this is an EFL sanction do the PL oblige with carrying it out? if not what on earth is the point of levying the deduction next season?

I think there`s some sort of `gentleman`s agreement` now that means they should. Whether they would enforce it for a `big club` or just reserve it for upstarts like Huddersfield though is anyone`s guess.

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think there`s some sort of `gentleman`s agreement` now that means they should. Whether they would enforce it for a `big club` or just reserve it for upstarts like Huddersfield though is anyone`s guess.

How ridiculous if that came to pass. The Football League would then truly be considered a bunch of impotent wimpish bystanders.

Archived