IGNORED

Derby Kings

sglosbcfc

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11043204/which-is-the-most-competitive-derby-in-england-and-scotland

Genuinely surprised by a few things in this article - I thought City had an even bigger margin of wins over the Gas, I'm surprised Swansea come out on top over Cardiff and I'm equally surprised that United edge out Wednesday in Sheffield. Finally, I didn't expect Southampton to have such huge superiority over Pompey.

8 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11043204/which-is-the-most-competitive-derby-in-england-and-scotland

Genuinely surprised by a few things in this article - I thought City had an even bigger margin of wins over the Gas, I'm surprised Swansea come out on top over Cardiff and I'm equally surprised that United edge out Wednesday in Sheffield. Finally, I didn't expect Southampton to have such huge superiority over Pompey.

I guess it depends on what you choose to remember...  there was a period in the late 80s early 90s when we couldnt buy a win against the Gas.... I try to forget it as well.

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

I guess it depends on what you choose to remember...  there was a period in the late 80s early 90s when we couldnt buy a win against the Gas.... I try to forget it as well.

That period was mid 80’s to 1990. 

By 1991( Donowa goal) we got ourselves back on top again, bar the odd horrible result..! 

2 hours ago, cider-manc said:

47 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That period was mid 80’s to 1990. 

Yep that was horrible - we went 10 games against them without a win I think it was - hearing them chant “will you ever beat the gas?” was a low point...

2 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

From the thread title I thought maybe Frank Lampard's Derby were changing their name.

Just read this thread and this was the first thing that crossed my mind.

4 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I swear...if I ever hear them bleating that again....godknows how Id react

Don't want to tempt fate but that seems miles away. Even playing them in the league seems remote but them racking up ten matches unbeaten seems a fairytale. From their perspective if only they had a wealthy foreign owner who could change the balance of power!

7 hours ago, bcfcshorey said:

Can't believe how little West Ham and Millwall have played each other, shows that the rivalry is much more off the pitch than on it!

Their rivalry, certainly historically, is nothing to do with football. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/6105500/West-Ham-v-Millwall-a-history-of-how-the-rivalry-started.html

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

- hearing them chant “will you ever beat the gas?” was a low point...

I remember the EP reported that when City won 4-2 at Twerton, the fans left mockingly singing "Will we ever beta the gas"?

On the South coast Saints / Pompey was not just football related. Portsmouth was Royal Navy, Southampton Merchant Navy. I never heard of any real rivalry between Saints & Bournemouth or Pompey & Brighton.

Because of off field antics, the Police will not let Chester v Wrexham be played at 3.00pm on a Saturday, usually 12.00 on a Sunday lunch time. Mansfield v Chesterfield was even recently "tasty". "They built the M1 to separate us" claim some locals. Colchester v Sarfend can still be interesting at times as well.

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep that was horrible - we went 10 games against them without a win I think it was - hearing them chant “will you ever beat the gas?” was a low point...

7 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I swear...if I ever hear them bleating that again....godknows how Id react

They have to play and beat us first!

2 hours ago, 22A said:

I remember the EP reported that when City won 4-2 at Twerton, the fans left mockingly singing "Will we ever beta the gas"?

Yep I remember that - a great victory as the gas had beaten us 0-2 at Ashton Gate a couple of months before...also, just to put a little dampener on this Monday evening - we’ve only beaten the gas three times in the last eight games we’ve played against ‘em....

2 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

The boner when Donowa notched, was worth it though!:clapping:

59 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It may just be the wish being father to the thought but weren`t they actually singing it when he banged it in?

The boner?

13 hours ago, 22A said:

On the South coast Saints / Pompey was not just football related. Portsmouth was Royal Navy, Southampton Merchant Navy. I never heard of any real rivalry between Saints & Bournemouth or Pompey & Brighton.

Because of off field antics, the Police will not let Chester v Wrexham be played at 3.00pm on a Saturday, usually 12.00 on a Sunday lunch time. Mansfield v Chesterfield was even recently "tasty". "They built the M1 to separate us" claim some locals. Colchester v Sarfend can still be interesting at times as well.

The Mansfield V Chesterfield fixture went up a notch during the miners strike. The Notts miners of Mansfield accepted a deal from the Tory government and sold out, the Derbyshire miners of Chesterfield stayed resolute ( I think i have that the right way around). This just added to the already pretty intense dislike. I believe Notts County v Mansfield is also viewed as a derby as Notts play Forest so infrequently and Forest view Derby as their number enemy.

10 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It may just be the wish being father to the thought but weren`t they actually singing it when he banged it in?

I do believe they were ,Im sure a gashead I know told me they were .But of course its all shrouded in the mists of time now . Do remember getting back to Kings Head in Pill and singing for what seemed like hours .Great night 

Archived