IGNORED

Atmosphere

SStandUp

Oh dear... 

The quietest I've ever heard AG on opening day of the season.

The game was cagey and not necessarily a type of game to get the crowd going, but was bitterly disappointed. 

We all know what an AG crowd can do. But we didn't really get that advantage today.

1 minute ago, ForeverRes said:

Oh dear... 

The game was cagey and not necessarily a type of game to get the crowd going, but was bitterly disappointed. 

We all know what an AG crowd can do. But we didn't really get that advantage today.

Thats because we were shite 2nd half!

unfortunately we require encouragement to be noisy, today there wasnt much to get us out of our seats bar 25 mins first half. 

8 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Oh dear... 

Will always be the same nowadays,apart from the cup games you will struggle to get a atmosphere and you only have to look at Man Utd Man City arsenal and Chelsea,they are all library’s 

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Will always be the same nowadays,apart from the cup games you will struggle to get a atmosphere and you only have to look at Man Utd Man City arsenal and Chelsea,they are all library’s 

Unfortunately I don’t think we quite fall into their territory yet, with their ground full of tourist fans, it was simply too hot Dolman side and we created no chances.

36 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Oh dear... 

I think this statement is factually incorrect. 

I was in the south stand and said to my mate, I wonder how long before somebody posts on the forum about the ‘poor atmosphere’. It’s such a laughable topic now but we almost began filming the latest round of red army (which my 4 year old thought was Zombie!) just to prove s point perfectly fine atmosphere for a blistering hot day that at times was played in the manner of a preseason friendly 

I agree that it was poor today and I have finally come to the opinion that we’ll never get what we once had. 

As a member of the ‘Section 82’ that has made attempts to improve the atmosphere at AG for a number of years, I was actually going to post this week about my fears for this season. 

The lackadaisical attitude of our fanbase, as well as the barriers the club put in place, has been growing more and more evident to me over the last few years, and I see less and less fans wanting to join in whilst more and more fans just looking on ‘expecting’ others to sing. It’s been on a steady decline for a while and I just get the impression that there are too few fans now who want to sing all game and create noise. Of course, the odd song will get everyone joining in but even in the unreserved area there are so many who are there just for the cheaper tickets rather than wanting to contribute to the atmos. 

From about 15 mins in today it was piss poor. The usual 40-50 trying to do something and the rest just looking on and only bothering if we had a corner or something. 

Ashton Gate, as an atmospheric experience, is dead to me now. Good luck to those 40-50 hardy souls who are still making every effort, but I’m too long in the tooth now, and too old to want to return home every Saturday with a horse throat, that I can’t be bothered with the futile experience any more. 

Edit. And eff me. Have you seen this effing thread. People are now saying “it’s too hot to sing”. That’s me done. FFS!! 

Also is it me or do we get way more absolute numpties down the Gate than we used to? Sat in lower block E28 today and the guy in front of me cottoned on to the fact that I live in Birmingham now through over-hearing a conversation, and proceeded to shout to anyone that would listen on his row that me and the people that i was with are "####### Brummie ####s", even when we produced our City memberships he carried on and then started on us again on our way out the ground. 2 neutrals who wont be going back any time soon, and as for me, I have never felt so much disconnect with some of our own. Hardly makes for a positive and energetic atmosphere, and maybe I'm just getting old but I'm sure the Gate just didnt used to be like that

What with flag day, first day of the season- which tends to be a feelgood factor of it's own accord, have to say I hoped for more atmosphere today- especially a game v a well fancied side in Forest.

Ashton Gate often steps it up in big games... I get the heat argument but still I was a bit surprised.

@Harry

You're obviously a lot more clued up on this than me about this- but how do you know it's the club as such and not the SAG or other authorities- would the authorities even allow an expansion of the singing section?

Not ruling out the prospect that it might well suit the club to just go along with this way of thinking though and not push too hard for a change of view.

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

I think this statement is factually incorrect. 

I was in the south stand and said to my mate, I wonder how long before somebody posts on the forum about the ‘poor atmosphere’. It’s such a laughable topic now but we almost began filming the latest round of red army (which my 4 year old thought was Zombie!) just to prove s point perfectly fine atmosphere for a blistering hot day that at times was played in the manner of a preseason friendly 

Unfortunately I think it depends on where you sit. I'm  Dolman E34 or b block in old money.  Forrest seemed louder and giving it the is this a library chant half the game...

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I agree that it was poor today and I have finally come to the opinion that we’ll never get what we once had. 

As a member of the ‘Section 82’ that has made attempts to improve the atmosphere at AG for a number of years, I was actually going to post this week about my fears for this season. 

The lackadaisical attitude of our fanbase, as well as the barriers the club put in place, has been growing more and more evident to me over the last few years, and I see less and less fans wanting to join in whilst more and more fans just looking on ‘expecting’ others to sing. It’s been on a steady decline for a while and I just get the impression that there are too few fans now who want to sing all game and create noise. Of course, the odd song will get everyone joining in but even in the unreserved area there are so many who are there just for the cheaper tickets rather than wanting to contribute to the atmos. 

From about 15 mins in today it was piss poor. The usual 40-50 trying to do something and the rest just looking on and only bothering if we had a corner or something. 

Ashton Gate, as an atmospheric experience, is dead to me now. Good luck to those 40-50 hardy souls who are still making every effort, but I’m too long in the tooth now, and too old to want to return home every Saturday with a horse throat, that I can’t be bothered with the futile experience any more. 

Edit. And eff me. Have you seen this effing thread. People are now saying “it’s too hot to sing”. That’s me done. FFS!! 

Mate everything you said was bang on. There's like 70 odd people that every week are up for it and 20K ******* zombies just sat there doing **** all Just "watching the game" you can do both you know.

Then people have the cheek to say the atmosphere is bad, no ******* shit when there is only a coach full even bloody trying. 

Too ******* hot? ... piss off, waste of a ******* seat

11 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Mate everything you said was bang on. There's like 70 odd people that every week are up for it and 20K ******* zombies just sat there doing **** all Just "watching the game" you can do both you know.

Then people have the cheek to say the atmosphere is bad, no ******* shit when there is only a coach full even bloody trying. 

Too ******* hot? ... piss off, waste of a ******* seat

Sorry but that’s complete nonsense WOW

Superfan proclamation alert

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Negative about the Lions flag day.

Negative about fans in the ground.

Do you fly to the ground in a red and blue skin suit?

What a load of bollocks this thread is!

Yes. it was crap today but do people think it was orchestrated in yesteryear? No, fans just turned up, stood in certain areas where noise was expected and sang. If people choose to sit and watch, no problem, I'm probably one of them nowadays. 

The club have decided that the Dolman / South stand corner is now the 'noisy place', if you want to make a row, go for it, but don't criticise people that choose to sit elsewhere and don't! What happens in that corner should be more spur of the moment. That's modern football in a nutshell.

Sanctimonious prat (uber fan!). 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Yes. it was crap today but do people think it was orchestrated in yesteryear? No, fans just turned up, stood in certain areas where noise was expected and sang. If people choose to sit and watch, no problem, I'm probably one of them nowadays. 

The club have decided that the Dolman / South stand corner is now the 'noisy place', if you want to make a row, go for it, but don't criticise people that choose to sit elsewhere and don't! What happens in that corner should be more spur of the moment. 

Nail on head

Biggest factors for me and you’ve highlighted both

Standing

Ability for people to choose where around the group they wished to allowing anyone to join in to position themselves in the right area

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nail on head

Biggest factors for me and you’ve highlighted both

Standing

Ability for people to choose where around the group they wished to allowing anyone to join in to position themselves in the right area

Spot on Bob. Wierdly, it kinda self policed in our day! ;)

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Must depend where you sit. They were very loud from my seat in the Lansdown.

Thought they were fairly noisy for good parts tbh. That said, how well does sound carry from the Atyeo? Not too well I don't think.

Acoustics or whatever, don't know how it was designed but there's something not quite right about how sound travels from there IMO.

4 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Negative about the Lions flag day.

Negative about fans in the ground.

Do you fly to the ground in a red and blue skin suit?

No superhero here mate. Just finally come to the realisation that things won’t be the same as they were, so that frustrates me. Maybe it’s an age thing and I’m finally moving on to being a ‘quieter’ one. 

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

The club have decided that the Dolman / South stand corner is now the 'noisy place', if you want to make a row, go for it, but don't criticise people that choose to sit elsewhere and don't! What happens in that corner should be more spur of the moment. That's modern football in a nutshell.

I don’t have any problem with people in certain places not singing. But as you say, there’s an area where people can go where they know what to expect and most in there can’t be arsed. The bit that’s meant to me the “noisy place” is full of onlookers with only a small number in there trying most of the game. 

As said above, maybe I’m just too old for it now but I’m getting to the point where I can’t be arsed with it all 

5 hours ago, Judda said:

Unfortunately I think it depends on where you sit. I'm  Dolman E34 or b block in old money.  Forrest seemed louder and giving it the is this a library chant half the game...

Fair point. I could barely hear forest and considering it was first game of the season thought there would be much more noise from them

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Fair point. I could barely hear forest and considering it was first game of the season thought there would be much more noise from them

Yep depends on where you were sat. I was in LL and they were very loud at times.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Yep depends on where you were sat. I was in LL and they were very loud at times.

Indeed. They were loud from mid-Dolman.

But the acoustic advantage of being given a whole stand with a low roof helped them. And of course, they can't hear any singing from fans sat in our stands that are higher than the Atyeo roof.

Arrogant gits, as ever.

Archived