IGNORED

Good result yesterday. Be positive.

barneyrubble

I don't get why  we don't recognise a good result when we get one. Florist will be up there come the end of season. We have lots of new players and this was there first competitive game ,pre-season is not the same. Weimann is scoring we conceded one and didn't play too bad. Our first choice centre forward didn't play and it was our keepers first game.

Now if you were a rovers fan and you got stuffed at posh you'd have something to moan about.

COYR.  

I don't think it's the result, I'd have taken a draw before kick off , but the performance threw up some concerns although it is very early days. We already have  injuries and some long term and with Djuric not on the bench we were very lightweight upfront. While I applaud playing out from the back it seemed only one choice at times, Baker did not want to receive the ball meaning Webster ( or Pack when he dropped deep) was the only out. That made it easy from Forest to close us down meaning that we would have to play longer balls anyway.
Although they didn't create loads of chances , Forest bossed long spells (I was surprised to see possession stats were so close) and little seems to have changed from last year. Movement was poor, it was noticeable the difference in the teams, Forest had players anticipating passes and playing balls into space for willing runners . We seemed to wait for the run before thinking about passing . That said.....
Yes I think it was an OK result against a team who I think will be challenging at the top. Also there were signs of promise.
The keeper looks good , I'd like to see what he's like on crosses.
The defence looked OK, Webster looks comfortable on the ball, as does hunt , Baker concerns me though.
The MF , Pack seems to get better year on year, I like Brownhill more central and COD will get better along with Eliasson if he gets more service.
The front 2, I don't think Patterson will play when we have a proper CF. Weiman will probably slot in that No10 role behind FD (when available) or Djuric (when he's sorted) or even Eisa who I'm excited to see given a run. 
I think the best way to look at it is, point won  but Jury's still out . Bolton will be another tough test up there.

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think it's the result, I'd have taken a draw before kick off , but the performance threw up some concerns although it is very early days. We already have  injuries and some long term and with Djuric not on the bench we were very lightweight upfront. While I applaud playing out from the back it seemed only one choice at times, Baker did not want to receive the ball meaning Webster ( or Pack when he dropped deep) was the only out. That made it easy from Forest to close us down meaning that we would have to play longer balls anyway.
Although they didn't create loads of chances , Forest bossed long spells (I was surprised to see possession stats were so close) and little seems to have changed from last year. Movement was poor, it was noticeable the difference in the teams, Forest had players anticipating passes and playing balls into space for willing runners . We seemed to wait for the run before thinking about passing . That said.....
Yes I think it was an OK result against a team who I think will be challenging at the top. Also there were signs of promise.
The defence looked OK, Webster looks comfortable on the ball, as does hunt , Baker concerns me though.
The MF , Pack seems to get better year on year, I like Brownhill more central and COD will get better along with Eliasson if he gets more service.
The front 2, I don't think Patterson will play when we have a proper CF. Weiman will probably slot in that No10 role behind FD (when available) or Djuric (when he's sorted) or even Eisa who I'm excited to see given a run. 
I think the best way to look at it is, point won  but Jury's still out . Bolton will be another tough test up there.

What a great post

:clap:

Was going to post my reflected thoughts today but you have nailed it for me , and in every word , and summarises , for me , it perfectly 

Some pros and cons and the only thing I’d add , and my primary worry would be (And astutely you’ve highlighted some of the reasons why) 

How , as soon as we conceded we lost all momentum as under pressure our game plan and playing ethos , bravery on the ball went out the window and we increasingly were happy just to clear the ball and kick Long , constantly conceding possession in a increasing cycles, unable to regain a grip on the game or reverse the momentum

In otherwards , it sent a small chill down as it appeared a repeat of post January

The performance was against a good side and better than most of those post January however and we will or should be better when Famara returns and I think when rolling we will be a handful for the poorer teams in this league as a minimum , and I think we will be ‘ok’ 

Think it may be a ‘sticky’ and frustrating season but as long as it’s not a relegation concerning one at any stage , I can take that

It's very early days and it was a difficult game. A team with a net summer spend of -£10m faced a team with a net summer spend of +£21m.  It's a game we could have easily lost in the last few months of last season.

The thing I was most pleased about was that the new boys looked generally assured and hit the ground running. They may not have set the stadium alight exactly, but few players (from either team) did. The heat probably didn't help the contest.

In seasons past we've brought in a few duds who have never looked comfortable from game one. While we can't judge this bunch from 93 minute game time, I feel more confident than I was before kick-off that we have guys who can step up and do a job for us.

Think the side that finished last season, which let in 8 in our final 2 home games, would have lost yesterday.

Without Diedhiou and with Djuric apparently unavailable for selection yet again, we were lightweight up front.

However despite being the poorer side for an hour we hung on & got a useful point.

Good debut from the keeper, Hunt, Webster & Weimann did ok, get a few squad players back and get through Famara’s ban & we’ll be ok.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Pretty good summary I think.

Some good and bad yesterday really, the only other caveat I’d add in was the heat. A very competitive game with little ‘match fitness’ was always going to be very tough especially as our best football relies on high energy intense play.

My main concern would be that once pressed high we struggled to get out and conceded a lot of the ball. Our blueprint for beating the press seems to be to play through it, but against the better sides I don’t think we’re good enough to that a lot of the time so we do need to be more direct and play over it instead of through it.

The problem yesterday being we didn’t have anyone to go direct to, that will change when Fam is back. His physical presence with Weimann’s movement and pace will make that much more viable. I personally have great hopes for them as a partnership.

Overall nothing to get too excited about yesterday, but I didn’t think anything to particularly worry about either.

Villa at end of September is the 10th game, we’ll have played a mix of teams by then, with Fam back for half of them as well. At that point I think we can gauge much better where we are.

For the first 20 minutes or so we were good but then I felt our one touch passing in the final third never quite came off ,we seem to want to over elaborate/complicate.

My big concern is that playing this way we have no one as good as Bobby Reid plus his energy in harrying defenders.

In a nutshell we have a defined style of play but have lost the most important cog who as yet has not been replaced.

First game of the season and without Famara, his absence was missed. Very lightweight up front and particularly in the second 45 the midfield was wide open and its no surprise that City created bugger all - fortunately neither did Forest.

An easily forgettable game. 

Onwards and upwards.........

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What a great post

:clap:

Was going to post my reflected thoughts today but you have nailed it for me , and in every word , and summarises , for me , it perfectly 

Some pros and cons and the only thing I’d add , and my primary worry would be (And astutely you’ve highlighted some of the reasons why) 

How , as soon as we conceded we lost all momentum as under pressure our game plan and playing ethos , bravery on the ball went out the window and we increasingly were happy just to clear the ball and kick Long , constantly conceding possession in a increasing cycles, unable to regain a grip on the game or reverse the momentum

In otherwards , it sent a small chill down as it appeared a repeat of post January

The performance was against a good side and better than most of those post January however and we will or should be better when Famara returns and I think when rolling we will be a handful for the poorer teams in this league as a minimum , and I think we will be ‘ok’ 

Think it may be a ‘sticky’ and frustrating season but as long as it’s not a relegation concerning one at any stage , I can take that

I like the post u likes and your post.  

I went into the ground with a  positive attitude, I’d been looking forward to the game and seeing our new signings. Talking to friends and fellow supporters around me I sensed most are anticipating a hard season. 

After witnessing the final 60 mins I’d have to agree with the more cautious attitude. I know many think Forest were a good side and will be up there come the end of the season but I don’t. They didn’t trouble our keeper much and personally I think we need to beat sides like that at home. 

Lets hope my initial optimism returns, time will tell?

26 minutes ago, swanker said:

I went into the ground with a  positive attitude, I’d been looking forward to the game and seeing our new signings. Talking to friends and fellow supporters around me I sensed most are anticipating a hard season. 

After witnessing the final 60 mins I’d have to agree with the more cautious attitude. I know many think Forest were a good side and will be up there come the end of the season but I don’t. They didn’t trouble our keeper much and personally I think we need to beat sides like that at home. 

Lets hope my initial optimism returns, time will tell?

Agree with this.  Don't get the hype about them because they've spent some cash - thought they were pretty average and we will face much tougher tests.  

I think the biggest positive to take away is once the score became 1-1, it would have been very City to lose it, but we didn’t look shaky in defence and I didn’t constantly feel like we’d concede. Going forward we were poor but I was very pleased with our back 4 and GK looking calm and capable. Special shout out Maenpaa, I wasn’t afraid to see our keeper on the ball which is a nice change! 

Archived