IGNORED

Nathan Baker Vs Bailey Wright

SStandUp

Bailey Wright every day of the week for me.

Wasn't overly inpresssed with Baker last year. Without Flint next to him Saturday, he looked absolutely dreadful, to put in niceley. He's terrible with the ball at his feet and doesn't win anything in the air. 

Bailey Wright is an absolute warrior and is more comfortable with the ball. Which is important for the way we are looking to play.

Just on a side note, how does Frank Fielding get so much stick for his kicking, and Baker doesn't get any for his distribution from the back? He sliced it out of play 4-5 times Saturday! 

37 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Wasn't overly inpresssed with Baker last year. Without Flint next to him Saturday, he looked absolutely dreadful, to put in niceley. He's terrible with the ball at his feet and doesn't win anything in the air. 

Bailey Wright is an absolute warrior and is more comfortable with the ball. Which is important for the way we are looking to play.

Just on a side note, how does Frank Fielding get so much stick for his kicking, and Baker doesn't get any for his distribution from the back? He sliced it out of play 4-5 times Saturday! 

Slightly over the top comments ' without flint next to him he looked absolutely dreadful'.

48 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Wright must play centre back for me though. So if he's not in first 11 as a central defender we shouldn't sneak him in as a right wing back.

Agree. I’d even say that Wright needs to play right centre back as he’s far better there than on the left side. 

3 minutes ago, RT's Vaseline Tub said:

Baker all day long as at least he can play a bit and when fully fit more than adequate.

Wright is 1 dimensional as all he does is hoof it - found out big time.

Are you joking? 

Wright played full back last year and showed he can play well. 

Baker literally just hoofs it! 

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Slightly over the top comments ' without flint next to him he looked absolutely dreadful'.

He looked absolute pony. Won nothing in the air, got bullied for their goal, hoofed the ball upfield or into the stands...

Please name me something he did well

My view is that LJ has gotten more out of some players than he had any right to, either due his coaching and positional changes, ie. Reid, and general development as players Ie. Bryan, and others he's helped with his experience and technique such as Pack.

Some however, whether by not getting along with his methods, lack of game-time, or a lack of confidence are now struggling. Examples of which I would highlight, such as Baker, Wright, and Paterson.

Baker was a revelation the first half of the season, but hasnt been the same since picked up the red against QPR and the following injury. 

Pato cant manage a 7 yard pass at the moment and needs to be dropped as he carries his prior season form (for which he somehow wasnt dropped for the majority), into the our prospective current season.

Baker wasn't great against Forest, but he was far from the worst player on the pitch.

LJ needs to improve his man-management. Especially for us to have a cohesive squad we need players like Pato, who arent playing well, to be rotated out so that players hungry for an opportunity such as Eisa. High on confidence, can carry the torch, and show him how to play without fear and with greater conviction.

The issue is, who do we put in for Baker? 

Hegeler?

12 minutes ago, Fuber said:

The issue is, who do we put in for Baker? 

Hegeler?

I imagine we'd move Webster to LCB and bring Wright in to CB, having been not selected from the start of the season could be a kick up the arse for him

5 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

A team of Bailey Wrights would see you,well,Wright back in league one.....let alone aiming for top six in the championship....

Bog standard....

4 hours ago, hodge said:

I imagine we'd move Webster to LCB and bring Wright in to CB, having been not selected from the start of the season could be a kick up the arse for him

As posted earlier, BW on the left of a CB pairing is not good.  Opposition tests knitwear how to close him down and that puts us under pressure in trying to play out...ultimately it fails.

Last season we had two CBs who could only play RCB (Flint and Wright) and two who could only play LCB (Baker and Magnússon).  Hegeler was the one who could play either side but suffered a bad injury.  He actually did perfectly well enough in games that I saw (I didn’t see Brum away in fairness).

This season we now have Webster - who can play either side.  So imho, the following options are possible (RCB first, LCB Second):

• Webster, Baker
  • Wright, Baker
  • Wright, Webster

we should never see Wright line up on the left of Webster in bullet 3.

Hegeler and Moore will need to fit in when fit.

Baker needs to pick his game up as we’ve all seen how capable he is but has been poor for a while now. Saturday he just followed on with poor distribution and got done for the goal scored by Murphy. My biggest issue with Baker is his mental fragility around injuries as how many times have we seen him go off injured and play the following week?? 

Worried about centre back position as both Webster & Baker have history of injuries and who would be happy with a Wright/Hegeler combination?

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As posted earlier, BW on the left of a CB pairing is not good.  Opposition tests knitwear how to close him down and that puts us under pressure in trying to play out...ultimately it fails.

Last season we had two CBs who could only play RCB (Flint and Wright) and two who could only play LCB (Baker and Magnússon).  Hegeler was the one who could play either side but suffered a bad injury.  He actually did perfectly well enough in games that I saw (I didn’t see Brum away in fairness).

This season we now have Webster - who can play either side.  So imho, the following options are possible (RCB first, LCB Second):

• Webster, Baker
  • Wright, Baker
  • Wright, Webster

we should never see Wright line up on the left of Webster in bullet 3.

Hegeler and Moore will need to fit in when fit.

5 hours ago, man in the middle said:

Seen very livid them together but has to be Baker & Webster at the back. One has a left foot and one can bring the ball out from the back. Wright has and does nether, still a decent player though.

Apologies and as a master of misspellings and failing to spot autocorrects intervention I shouldn’t comment

But these did make me laugh 

:laughcont:

Bailey Wright for me .

I just get the feeling that Baker could be so much better than he shows .

For a big bloke he doesn't dominate enough in the air or in the penalty area. 

He is often 'injured ' and I desperately want him to fulfill his potential.

I get the feeling that he is disappointed to be playing for us seemingly discarded by a bigger club.

Bailey Wright is a warrior and a grafter. He is limited skill wise but I'm sure , of the two , opposition forwards would prefer to be up against Baker .

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Baker needs to pick his game up as we’ve all seen how capable he is but has been poor for a while now. Saturday he just followed on with poor distribution and got done for the goal scored by Murphy. My biggest issue with Baker is his mental fragility around injuries as how many times have we seen him go off injured and play the following week?? 

Worried about centre back position as both Webster & Baker have history of injuries and who would be happy with a Wright/Hegeler combination?

Wright and Hegeler for two .

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Apologies and as a master of misspellings and failing to spot autocorrects intervention I shouldn’t comment

But these did make me laugh 

:laughcont:

Should’ve said “opposition teams know how....”, although original version is better!!

Baker like a lot of our squad was quality until around December then his form dropped quite significantly after that (to be fair an injury probably didn't help that).

He wont score as many goals as Flint does but he definitely has the potential to be better defender than him. Think he just needs a bit of time he is playing with pretty much a brand new back 5 now. In the long term think playing alongside Webster instead of Flint will benefit him.

Archived