IGNORED

Ian Wright spouting crap!

formerly known as ivan

51 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Last time I looked, Pele was regarded by many as the best footballer of all time.

And thus racist profiling against black players never ever happened?

Hollywood isn't racist, look at all the Oscar nominations Denzel Washington gets, so I'm sure no one will mind Idris Elba being the next James Bond...

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hard one, isn't it?

No doubt Lampard is intelligent and was intelligent and tactically too.to get Derby as first job is quite unusual IMO. Gerrard to Rangers similar but not so much as the SPL a lot weaker these days.

Whereas Ince began at Macclesfield then to MK Dons...then upper midtable PL Blackburn 

Don't especially rate Ince as a manager but that's quite a contrast.

Lampard has certainly landed a plum first job, as opportunities go. 

But not because he’s white, or not black..! 

9 hours ago, WessexPest said:

I do think there’s something in that - the fact I remember Leroy Rosenior was the manager of the mighty Gloucester City aeons ago tells its own story.

But I think this is a rather different kettle of    fish - Ian Wright - for whom everything is about race - thinks legitimate criticism of RS’s under-par international performances is about race.

He also said on tv as I recall that his son didn't get in the world cup squad because he (dad) criticised Sven . Whilst the man was undoubtedly a brilliant striker, he is also a world class tit.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm aware of that- however there is a difference and it's worth noting.

Mind you, it can work both ways- Barnes started at Celtic I believe?

Lampard also has Uncle Harry and Frank Snr on speed dial. Whilst other ex-players no doubt have strong networks, that one so close to home is attractive. They will have a particular vested interest to help him through, offer guidance, counsel and support and genuinely and believably 24/7. 

I wouldn't want us for instance to give an ex-pro his very first job, but I'd have Frank Lampard under serious consideration for the above alone. 

My 2p for what it’s worth;

Whether we like it or not, regardless of skin colour, in this country we have an natural culture of disliking people who have materially more than us, it’s our culture and is exaggerated/driven by our press. See a guy in a fast sports car or Range Rover or a Bentley and the general immediate reaction of most of our population is one of negative. It’s the reverse in a lot of other countries, but here we seem to have a downer on people who have money.

When it was announced Sterling was on £200k plus a week, that’s when it started for him, regardless what his peers also earn. He has been subject to vilification and press bias ever since. 

So, add in the colour of somebody’s skin and that is heightened/reduced depending on your suasion.

It’s a sad fact of this country and it will never change until generations shift. Lewis Hamilton gets exactly the same treatment IMO.

We know probably less than 1% of what these people are actually like, yet everybody will judge and form an opinion based on little information given or what’s drip fed to us in the press. 

What that does is allow people like Mark Wright to stand on a soapbox and make judgments of the people who are being judgmental. He’s quite frankly as bad as them.

Is there an element of racism? Yes, for that I have no doubt, but that’s not the only factor IMO.

Its all very embarrassing.  

Ian Wright chats some absolute bollocks most of the time, but he is right on the money with this.

The Sun, Sky, and many others have been pushing an agenda against Sterling for years, and before the World Cup their attack on his gun tattoo was despicable. He got the tattoo because his dad was shot dead, yet both outlets refused to post about this until the FA stepped in, and even then they pushed the other side of the agenda, that he shouldn't be able to display the tattoo. 

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm aware of that- however there is a difference and it's worth noting.

Mind you, it can work both ways- Barnes started at Celtic I believe?

He did indeed. A good example. 

Frank Lampard has also just recently finished an illustrious playing career and has kept himself busy and high profile on TV, no doubt maintaining close contacts with key figures within the game, whereas Sol Campbell has largely been working with his wife (heir to the Barrett jones empire) in their interior design & high end furnishings business. 

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but it kind of explains which one was more likely to get a play off hopeful championship job, over the other and again, it wouldn’t have had anything to do with the colour of his skin..!

29 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Lampard also has Uncle Harry and Frank Snr on speed dial. Whilst other ex-players no doubt have strong networks, that one so close to home is attractive. They will have a particular vested interest to help him through, offer guidance, counsel and support and genuinely and believably 24/7. 

I wouldn't want us for instance to give an ex-pro his very first job, but I'd have Frank Lampard under serious consideration for the above alone. 

Don't doubt it's a strong support network. Has Chelsea loan first refusal too for young players I dare say. Genuine help that.

Otoh though, Bielsa or Lampard...tough one? Not even talking about a 4-1 game Saturday, but one of them is a very capable manager at the likes of Marseille, Bilbao, Argentina and of course Chile...the fuss about Lampard and Derby, yet we have a manager like that and importantly as experienced at that at this level (Benitez stayed at Newcastle so he's a bit of a different case). Media hype too of course about Lampard as he was a famous English player- but for me the most exciting appointment is Bielsa- but Lampard arguably more intriguing.

@Bar BS3 Was thinking more of the Lampard v Ince comparison but yeah that's a good one too.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't doubt it's a strong support network. Has Chelsea loan first refusal too for young players I dare say. Genuine help that.

Otoh though, Bielsa or Lampard...tough one? Not even talking about a 4-1 game Saturday, but one of them is a very capable manager at the likes of Marseille, Bilbao, Argentina and of course Chile...the fuss about Lampard and Derby, yet we have a manager like that and importantly as experienced at that at this level (Benitez stayed at Newcastle so he's a bit of a different case). Media hype too of course about Lampard as he was a famous English player- but for me the most exciting appointment is Bielsa- but Lampard arguably more intriguing.

@Bar BS3 Was thinking more of the Lampard v Ince comparison but yeah that's a good one too.

Allvalid points. What Paul Ince fails to accept is that he had chances and didn’t do very well. That’s why he didn’t get other positions. Kind of like Solskaar sp?

I completely understand the “punt” on Lampard, but if he fails, kind of like Zola, he’ll struggle to get many other jobs after a couple of failures. Even though he’s white..! 

15 hours ago, Monkeh said:

The criticism had nothing to do with racism and more to do with the fact he was England’s worst player and hasn’t scored an international goal in two years but continues to be picked 

Wow! Now there speaks someone who doesn't really comprehend the "team game".

Think there is a agenda against Sterling because at some stage he has probably annoyed the wrong people in the media business but also never performs for England.

BUT nothing racist as otherwise the other black players would receive the same issues, also most England fans wanted to see rashford on as his replacement who is also black so for me i believe it is simple to do with his attitude (turning up day late) and England performances.

FWIW I actually thought Sterling had a half decent WC.

He missed some sitters, but his ability to carry the ball forward 20 yards and therefore shift the opposition back 4 back 20 yards and alleviate pressure from our mid/def was absolutely vital in our run to the semis.

4 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

And thus racist profiling against black players never ever happened?

Hollywood isn't racist, look at all the Oscar nominations Denzel Washington gets, so I'm sure no one will mind Idris Elba being the next James Bond...

Of course they won’t, provided he’s the best candidate for the role. If it’s just because there MUST be a black Bond and the pressure to comply is impossible to ignore then It’s all a bit silly really.

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

Of course they won’t, provided he’s the best candidate for the role. If it’s just because there MUST be a black Bond and the pressure to comply is impossible to ignore then It’s all a bit silly really.

Its a bit cringeworthy to be honest. Idris Elba is admirable and clearly an A list actor who doesn't seem to be typecast in "black" roles and could undoubtedly kick ass. bed fit women and jump off buildings more convincingly than Piers Brosnan or Roger Moore to name but two, but i'm not sure anyone would have thought of him without this lobby that seems to be behind a black Bond, simply because Bond is I thought, supposed to be from the Scottish Highlands which for all his talent, Idris couldn't carry off.

Not that I watch the films but I would have thought Gerard Butler would have been a better fit.

19 hours ago, Selred said:

Sorry but the amount of ridiculous stories about Raheem, there clearly is an agenda against him. 

If it’s racist or not, there is an agenda.

This, I’m not sure if it’s racially motivated but there’s an agenda. He never chose to be bought for silly money at a young age but that seems to have put a target on his back. Thankfully he seems to have a decent head on his shoulders and can deflect the criticism.

as for being England’s worse player, that’s subjective. He didn’t score goals but he did a lot of work that people just won’t see / admit.

I like Kane and this won’t be popular but he was as bad as Sterling for overall effectiveness (the goals will mask that) and Alli was probably the worst IMO because he appeared to be injured the whole time.

19 hours ago, jimmyb said:

Agree entirely. There is an agenda against him in certain media outlets.

One recently ran a story about footballers dealing drugs which was accompanied by a picture of Sterling despite him having absolutely no connection to the story at all.

Given that there seems to be no obvious reason for this (unless I’ve missed the pictures of him drowning some kittens) it’s a reasonable inference that his skin colour might be an underlying cause. 

Criticism of his play for England is fine, but this goes well beyond.  

Because there’s no obvious reason it must be racism? Sorry?

there could alternatively be 101 other reasons that aren’t made public that explain the agenda.

I can’t understand why from 1000s of BAME (if I can use that term?) footballers and sportsman alike this one in particular player would get singled out for race? 

Likewise race has no involvement when the likes of Rooney / Gazza get singled out

19 hours ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Sad if there is some conscious or unconscious bias against him due to his skin colour. As others have said above, does this happen to others who are less talented than him and white, possibly not. We don't hear a furore about Jordan Henderson's lifestyle/tattoos/favoured shopping outlets, despite many believing that he has turned in poor performances previously. Additionally, possibly harder for us to evaluate, if something is racist or not, when we aren't part of that marginalised group. Step forward if you are black and posting on this thread, and don't believe there is in iota of racism involved in Sterling's treatment in the press...

Similarly with the lack of representation of black managers in the game, disproportionate to black players, there has to be something else afoot. All very well saying John Barnes, Paul Ince, etc. are poor managers, and that may well be true, but how few black managers get the opportunity not to be successful in the very first place, a lot less than their white counterparts.    

Do you have stats on how many have relevant badges, apply for jobs and get turned down?

Im sure when this came up before someone posted stats about the lack of reprensatation on the coaching courses and actually applying for jobs.

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why would a footballer get criticised for these things? Which media outlets did this? It’s like the Noel Gallagher interview when he explained why he moved to London, he said, ...”back home in Manchester if I went into a pub and bought everyone a beer I was a flash bastard and if I didn’t buy everyone a beer I was a tight bastard, I just couldn’t win...”

You’ll find everything else you need here:

https://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-special-raheem-sterling-the-sun-and-racist-attacks

17 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

I suspect frankly that racism- or at least some form of subconcious discrimination- plays a part in football. Players like Gerrard and Lampard walk into plum jobs without any notable qualifications or coaching experience. Giggs at Wales. Many others like Tim Sherwood and Gary Monk engaged repeatedly without any real sign of  ability. Sol Campbell was not only an outstanding international- one of the very few England players to be picked for a ‘team of the tournament’ (with Ashley Cole in 2004), but he not only did all his coaching badges, he was prepared to start at the bottom. Never really got a sniff. I know what I’d think if I was him.

His time at Notts County and the manor in which he left would raise questions with me about his ability to start from the bottom

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Its a bit cringeworthy to be honest. Idris Elba is admirable and clearly an A list actor who doesn't seem to be typecast in "black" roles and could undoubtedly kick ass. bed fit women and jump off buildings more convincingly than Piers Brosnan or Roger Moore to name but two, but i'm not sure anyone would have thought of him without this lobby that seems to be behind a black Bond, simply because Bond is I thought, supposed to be from the Scottish Highlands which for all his talent, Idris couldn't carry off.

Not that I watch the films but I would have thought Gerard Butler would have been a better fit.

I don't think that's really been part of his character since Daniel Craig. The Scottish part I mean. Gerard Butler is not in the same league as Idris Elba as an actor - would be a real step down from Daniel Craig in acting talent, and would underwhelm me if chosen. 

17 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

I suspect frankly that racism- or at least some form of subconcious discrimination- plays a part in football. Players like Gerrard and Lampard walk into plum jobs without any notable qualifications or coaching experience. Giggs at Wales. Many others like Tim Sherwood and Gary Monk engaged repeatedly without any real sign of  ability. Sol Campbell was not only an outstanding international- one of the very few England players to be picked for a ‘team of the tournament’ (with Ashley Cole in 2004), but he not only did all his coaching badges, he was prepared to start at the bottom. Never really got a sniff. I know what I’d think if I was him.

Well, Sol Campbell has held coaching positions with Trinidad & Tobago and also at QPR last season, working with their academy and under 23 players, and he was also interviewed this year for the position of  Grimsby Town Manager - so it isn’t entirely true to say any he hasn’t had a ‘sniff’ where opportunities are concerned...

Archived