IGNORED

top flight football followers are not needed any more?

Never to the dark side

It is why Bayern Munich sell season tickets at £150....because as Uli Hoeness (MD at Bayern and ex-German international) said “why take money from the fans when we already make enough money (from tv)”.

Our clubs think differently....not just in the Prem either.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It is why Bayern Munich sell season tickets at £150....because as Uli Hoeness (MD at Bayern and ex-German international) said “why take money from the fans when we already make enough money (from tv)”.

Bob bless Herr Hoeness.

:clap:

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Genuine question. What percentage of their season tickets are that cheap? Ive always wonders if it was a large number or if it is just great PR by the club by offering say 2000 tickets at that price.

Barcelona for example have areas behind the goal that are ridiculously cheap (the area isn't tiered so its view isn't great) but as they have a 90k stadium offering 2k of tickets for 15 euro a game isn't going to matter if your selling 50k seats at 100 euro yet still allows them to advertise that seats start at 15 euros.

(ive made up those numbers as i have no idea how many or how much they are) 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The spinning wheel is going to leave some casualties

Sky pump millions in , in TV rights , and as a result

Clubs pay ridiculous wages reflected in ticket prices

and Sky show more and more live games each year

Soon if it’s not already happening more and more will invest their ££££ in Sky or similar rather than match tickets

Clubs need to be careful about how much they continue to squeeze every last £££ Out the fans

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The problem is, yes without doubt the Prem teams could drop prices to say £150 without it really having an effect on them, but clubs like City couldn't because we don't have the huge sums from Sky etc. So potentially we would be left with clubs in the lower leagues charging fans more than it would cost to watch Prem football.

Always thought PL clubs- well not all of them but a fair few- could cope with near enough empty grounds.

All about where the revenue streams come from and the size- in the top flight at a decent number of clubs, I reckon gate receipts are right down there. Some sites show breakdown of revenue by sector etc of the clubs.

7 minutes ago, ooRya said:

The problem is, yes without doubt the Prem teams could drop prices to say £150 without it really having an effect on them, but clubs like City couldn't because we don't have the huge sums from Sky etc. So potentially we would be left with clubs in the lower leagues charging fans more than it would cost to watch Prem football.

it might mean that the clubs would be paying the players less so they could cut admission prices, the problem with that is the clubs coming down from the prem with parachute payments would be at even more of an advantage.

The Secret Footballer said this years ago in his first book, and since then the amount of money in football has exploded even further. Back then, it was said that around 10% of a footballers wages came from the fans, so it's probably more like 3-5% at most nowadays.

It makes me wonder how long it'll be before the top European superpowers decide to break free of domestic football and move towards a European franchise. I've long thought that the only thing stopping footballs superpowers was the ability for players to travel Europe quickly and easily, and the amount of money that comes from fans. If clubs can operate without fan attendance, the only barrier left is travel, and there's no reason why a European Super League would need a huge amount of games - probably enough to ensure that long-distance travel isn't a huge bother.

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

Genuine question. What percentage of their season tickets are that cheap? Ive always wonders if it was a large number or if it is just great PR by the club by offering say 2000 tickets at that price.

Barcelona for example have areas behind the goal that are ridiculously cheap (the area isn't tiered so its view isn't great) but as they have a 90k stadium offering 2k of tickets for 15 euro a game isn't going to matter if your selling 50k seats at 100 euro yet still allows them to advertise that seats start at 15 euros.

Don’t know but this gives a bit more info:

http://www.espn.com.au/football/bayern-munich/story/3533652/bayern-munich-freeze-season-ticket-prices-for-fifth-campaign-in-succession

9 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

I'm praying for the day when the shitty Premiership implodes.

It’s got to happen 1 day and when it does clubs won’t know what hit them ...

but at present all everyone associated with top flight football is doing is lining there own pockets for when the day comes

There was a really good article ( dunno where but about the time McInnes was around) which was all about the change in TV money and the likely gulf that would follow. I remember SL talking about it and saying that if we didn't get to the Prem in a relatively few number of years then it would become virtually impossible for all but a handful of Championship clubs to compete for a place.

It seems that has come true and we're not one of them. Two seasons ago the total take for being in the Championship( TV rights) was about £2.5 million per club per season plus any live matches lucky enough to be chosen.This increases to well over £100 million per club per season in the Prem.

It really annoys me especially as the Championship is ,imo, a more competitive and exciting league. Every time I listen to any sport on 5 Live or Talk Sport they can spend all day pontificating about the most tiny (and boring) details of Prem Clubs yet the Championship gets hardly a mention and the other 2 leagues don't exist beyond a cup run.

BCFC need to maximise income due to lack of it and this is tough on supporting fans. The likes of the big 5 don't need the income yet still screw their supporters for every penny they can get because ultimately it has gone beyond mere football.

It's almost a type of blackmail in that a Man City fan (for example) can't shop around to get a better deal at Man U but he can choose Aldi over Waitrose etc.

Rarely, imho, do clubs deserve the fanatical support they receive and rarely, if ever, reward them for it.

I've also heard it mooted that in a few years from now fans will actually be paid to watch the game in the stadium. Others will be paid more to create an atmosphere etc. It has even been mooted that clubs will even pay out transfer fees for extra special supporters, for instance those who are especially talented with orchestrating witty chants, or bare the flesh on freezing cold nights. As TV companies will be drawn to their ground more by the atmosphere created by these eccentrics and talented supporters and provides the commentators and camera crews something to focus upon that is entertaining when there is a lull in the action.

The Premier League has long been a business appealing to both domestic and, more-so nowadays, foreign markets. 

In my humble opinion, if people are stupid enough to spend hundreds on tickets and replica kits, you got yourselves to blame. The game can only ever change when the fans take staunch action, but sadly the whole Instagram super-fan showy off thing is at unprecedented levels. I've no doubt that if Bristol City announced our home kit was going to cost £100 there would still be a queue of people outside the shop waiting to buy it on release day.

Woe betide the modern game.

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I've also heard it mooted that in a few years from now fans will actually be paid to watch the game in the stadium. Others will be paid more to create an atmosphere etc. It has even been mooted that clubs will even pay out transfer fees for extra special supporters, for instance those who are especially talented with orchestrating witty chants, or bare the flesh on freezing cold nights. As TV companies will be drawn to their ground more by the atmosphere created by these eccentrics and talented supporters and provides the commentators and camera crews something to focus upon that is entertaining when there is a lull in the action.

They might want to think about televising football in Argentina, or Turkey, or somewhere overseas, instead of English football then. Or bus in a throng of Argies or Turks.

As I see it they may not need the fans in the stadium financially due to sky but part of the reason the reason football is so popular, hence why sky pay so much, is the atmosphere.

Even on the telly try and watch a game in an empty stadium, its rubbish. So without the fans in the stadium the product is worth less to sky so the clubs do need the fans.

35 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

As I see it they may not need the fans in the stadium financially due to sky but part of the reason the reason football is so popular, hence why sky pay so much, is the atmosphere.

Even on the telly try and watch a game in an empty stadium, its rubbish. So without the fans in the stadium the product is worth less to sky so the clubs do need the fans.

Don't think atmosphere in PL is all that tbh.

However you are right about the decent atmosphere, full grounds and the product as a package. Watched a fair bit of Serie A on BT Sport last year, and the football itself is decent enough and the atmosphere good...but what ruins it is quite a few half empty and more grounds. Makes for a poorer product.

The problem is when players in the lower leagues look at the potential earnings and think, 'why don't i get that?' so agents push and expectations rise and suddenley the economics of the lower leagues are compromised without recourse to TV rights.

Its also an old argument, but true. but the gap between the top 6-8 clubs and the rest is now too large to bridge. Makes for a stagnant pool - at least Leicester shook it up.

2 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

I'm praying for the day when the shitty Premiership implodes.

Careful what you wish for. The Premier League imploding would spell bad news for the entire pyramid.

In our accounts to May 2017 our turnover was £14.3m, £4.3m of which was a solidarity payment from the Premier League.

Ergo if the Premier League implodes, we lose 30% of our income, and our loss for the year of £3.3m increases to £7.6m.

Simple supply and demand, for many Premier League sides they have a waiting list for season tickets, so if there is a queue at current prices, why would they drop them? 

They are all buisenesses in the UK, in Germany the fans still own a percentage of each club (so no foreign owners) so they still have a connection to their fan base. Do you think a Russian, Arab or Chinese multi billionaire gives a smelly one about the average Brit off the street?

Having a Bristolian in charge, we dont realise how lucky we are

18 minutes ago, Gratbot said:

Careful what you wish for. The Premier League imploding would spell bad news for the entire pyramid.

In our accounts to May 2017 our turnover was £14.3m, £4.3m of which was a solidarity payment from the Premier League.

Ergo if the Premier League implodes, we lose 30% of our income, and our loss for the year of £3.3m increases to £7.6m.

Could otoh argue though that the PL has a huge inflationary knock on effect down the pyramid.

The question is, which is bigger. Fees...wages particularly all inflated by PL IMO. Which has a knock on effect on ticket prices etc etc. Look at some of the wages in the Championship these days, some of the fees and not solely by PL clubs freshly with parachute payments.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could otoh argue though that the PL has a huge inflationary knock on effect down the pyramid.

The question is, which is bigger. Fees...wages particularly all inflated by PL IMO. Which has a knock on effect on ticket prices etc etc. Look at some of the wages in the Championship these days, some of the fees and not solely by PL clubs freshly with parachute payments.

I see your point. However, if the PL implodes then that income is lost immediately, whereas the high wages clubs are tied into for another few years until player contracts are up. 

3 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Don’t you also need to pay a three figure annual membership fee at Barcelona in order to get the cheapest season tickets?

Bayern Munich always get brought up in these discussions - people seem to forget that they pretty much got their stadium for free.  

Archived