IGNORED

We just had 14 corners and 27 shots...

EmersonsRed

49 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

I think these stats are terribly misleading - suggests that we had a number of attempts on goal, but having been there I don't recall seeing many clear chances at all. Their keeper was rarely tested. 

Agreed. The statistics make it should like we were hammering against the door. The reality was that all our corners were totally ineffective and all our shots were straight at the keeper or hopelessly wide.

49 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

I think these stats are terribly misleading - suggests that we had a number of attempts on goal, but having been there I don't recall seeing many clear chances at all. Their keeper was rarely tested. 

Agreed. The statistics make it should like we were hammering against the door. The reality was that all our corners were totally ineffective and all our shots were straight at the keeper or hopelessly wide.

11 minutes ago, AberRed said:

Yep.

We had a coupe of near misses with balls across the box to add, but in terms of the shots...well how stretched was their keeper truly?

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Yup I know, and how the cleansheets have been flowing in ever since we sold em! 

we've played 3 games with our main keeper injured, if we haven't had more then 6 clean sheets in the next 22 games then by all means use that point but until then its not valid 

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

He brought Webster on to replace Dasilva who is clearly not match fit. Thus allowing Kelly to revert to left back. Webster is not injured. 

Did you not watch the game? I'm not in the LJ fan club but don't slagging him for doing the right thing. 

Talking about players being match fit. On the way to the game I heard Taylor on the radio  saying that he now up up speed and ready to go after carrying an injury last season. 

If that was him fully fit last night then we’re in the muck up to our necks. 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we've played 3 games with our main keeper injured, if we haven't had more then 6 clean sheets in the next 22 games then by all means use that point but until then its not valid 

Monkeh I don't know why you're arguing with me we've improved so much defensively 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Monkeh I don't know why you're arguing with me we've improved so much defensively 

To accurately compare the defence with Flint and Bryan and the one without, you need a decent sample size.

Surely you can realise that 3 competitive games isn't anywhere near big enough a sample size to say for sure.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

To accurately compare the defence with Flint and Bryan and the one without, you need a decent sample size.

Surely you can realise that 3 competitive games isn't anywhere near big enough a sample size to say for sure.

i wouldn't bother fogg, he's one in a long line of city fans that write a player off before they've even had time to have a medical

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree and take it all back. There's hardly anything 180 minutes of football can tell me about a player. 

16 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Yeah Webster and DaSilva are great, I'm confident they'll make me forget about Flint or Bryan...

Can you see the point though? To judge a defensive unit (rather than get a sense of an individual player) you need to assess over time. You can't say for certain in just three games, it's ludicrously simplistic. Reminds me of Andy from Little Britain "I DON'T LIKE IT!!"

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Who are the 5 injured centre halves injured that LJ mentioned ? Wright , Hegeler, Moore , the others ? Sounds like we struggling for Saturday if it includes Baker and Webster ? 

I was going to post about this, Webster came on in the 2nd half, maybe can't do 90 minutes? Not heard anything about Baker, maybe there are some u23's that we don't hear too much about. Bit worrying for Saturday against Penis's land of the giants.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can you see the point though? To judge a defensive unit (rather than get a sense of an individual player) you need to assess over time. You can't say for certain in just three games, it's ludicrously simplistic. Reminds me of Andy from Little Britain "I DON'T LIKE IT!!"

No I agree with you. 180 minutes tells us absolutely nothing and anyone is wrong for suggesting otherwise. 

We've lost our big, ball winning centre half who as much as doing his CB duties organised the defence and more importantly; acted like a keeper from set plays, winning first ball. We've of course lost his goals from set plays too. We simply have to replace that aerial presence; regardless if it's with another CB, a CM who can either hold or play the advanced role, or of course a CF, who would also hold the ball up well.

15 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks

On what I’ve seen he’d get murderd at ch Saturday

I hoped Desilva would look better / more Championship ready 

I thought Kelly was our most impressive player last night, and I was not expecting him to be a competent centre back at this stage. He was exceptionally good on the ball and calm in possession under pressure. Granted he is not that strong yet, but I thought he looked better and more authoritative than Webster, which surprised me.

13 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I thought Kelly was our most impressive player last night, and I was not expecting him to be a competent centre back at this stage. He was exceptionally good on the ball and calm in possession under pressure. Granted he is not that strong yet, but I thought he looked better and more authoritative than Webster, which surprised me.

I can’t comment on last night, I can only judge Kelly’s readiness from Sheff Utd on final day

Would you be happy to start Kelly CH in a Championship fixture atm ?

(Where would he sit in your list of CB options ?)

43 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Tbf PF I think you can start to see identify areas of strength and weakness in individuals

If they aren’t better defenders individually it’s a bit of a hope to believe they may form a better defensive unit as a collective

its a side issue but Ive said before IMHO if we are going to concede less goals we need to protect the back four not rely on them to bale us out

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Tbf PF I think you can start to see identify areas of strength and weakness in individuals

If they aren’t better defenders individually it’s a bit of a hope to believe they may form a better defensive unit as a collective

its a side issue but Ive said before IMHO if we are going to concede less goals we need to protect the back four not rely on them to bale us out

That's true but I think to get a defensive unit to function at their maximum it takes time. Defences in particular need lots of drilling and organisation. Would expect to see better cohesion by 10 games of playing together.

Problem is; by 10 games in - we could be towards the bottom of the table!

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I can’t comment on last night, I can only judge Kelly’s readiness from Sheff Utd on final day

Would you be happy to start Kelly CH in a Championship fixture atm ?

(Where would he sit in your list of CB options ?)

I wouldn’t like to base too much on one game against lower league opponents, where to be fair they didn’t attack very often. He was though far better than I expected. Might struggle against a big strong skilful target man - but then so would most.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I wouldn’t like to base too much on one game against lower league opponents, where to be fair they didn’t attack very often. He was though far better than I expected. Might struggle against a big strong skilful target man - but then so would most.

Unless he’s picked up lots in pre season I’d certainly not want him at CH

The physicality is an obvious thing that he needs to work on but it was his positioning and understanding of some (IMHO) basic role and positioning aspects that concerned me as much against Sheff Utd when I tried to keep an eye on him as much as the overall game

(With a caveat that dependent on the oppositions forwards) he might be ok there in an emergency against a certain type of opponent who’s less physical - but then I’m not sure clever movement may give him a problem atm )

Both the physicality and his positioning can be worked on and improved - he looks tomhave most of other attributes

Archived