IGNORED

Match Report: The best things come to those that wait...

Olé

They say the best things come to those that wait, and for an August fixture already being alarmingly dubbed a six pointer, that will be how it felt for a slow to start City tonight.

For 45 minutes two sides low on confidence and not blessed with obvious forward talent duelled it out to see whose recent brittle style of play would hold together for longer.

QPR won the opening battles, but it was City that won the war - and convincingly. Instead of coming out all guns blazing, City sat in and waited for their moment to strike.

Ironically it was well beaten QPR that pushed forward via far more confident passing and attacking interplay, creating a series of good chances, as players pushed up in support.

City on the other hand created little forward threat again - sitting deep, doubling down on not exposing recent shaky defending, while going more route one to an isolated Taylor.

So there was little clue that City would go on to dominate the match, as they looked clear second best to QPRs more convincing pass and move out of midfield for the opening 45.

QPR worked an early near post shot that was blocked, before another fast attacking move created room on the edge of the box for a 20  yard shot straight into Maenappa's clutches.

For City, Taylor's cross in from the right was hacked clear, but Pisano lifted it back out to the flank and from Taylor's next deeper ball, Eliasson slammed a rising far post shot over.

That was as close as City would get as they offered little support to Taylor and Weimann and instead had to be well organised to pick up QPRs waves of midfield-led attacking.

Brownhill did test the keeper with a brilliant strike from the right edge of the box midway through the half, but he was mostly pressed into tracking QPR runs and helping tidy up.

A low shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Maenappa, but his quick throw was straight out of play and QPR returned almost immediately to test him again inside the box.

From one marauding run from Webster the ball way given away cheaply in the QPR half and they broke in numbers, spreading play across the box before Freeman fired wide.

Freeman would fire wide twice more as QPR  fashioned at least five more chances without reply. The game seemed to be simply pitting QPR against City's newly resolute defence.

But City's patience would pay five minutes  before halftime as the energetic Brownhill drove out of midfield, releasing Taylor on the right in space with time to control and turn.

Taylor struggled to take long passes in his stride but on the ball is a different proposition and as the full back slipped he raced into the box and drilled a low shot into the far corner.

1-0 and scarcely deserved but perhaps just reward for City's patience - playing safety first with dogged defending until a brittle QPR made an inevitable defensive mistake.

The goal unsurprisingly sucked the life out of QPR and their downbeat supporters who went into halftime shell-shocked - and City sensed blood in the water after the break. 

Possibly the move of the match saw Taylor receive the ball to feet, this time in the left channel, and quick thinking, he instinctively backheeled it for the overlapping Eliason.

Eliasson had struggled to see the ball in the first half, but his crossing is always lethal and he arched a pin-point cross to the far post that Weimann met with a diving header. 

Right in front of the away end it was a dream goal - well crafted and emphatic - and from the celebrations among City's players, clear that confidence and self-belief was back. 

From then on it was largely plain sailing for City although midway through the half QPR did seize on Maenappa's wild run out of goal but could not convert with the goal gaping.

At the other end Pack miscued wildly after good work by the increasingly dominant Weimann, while QPR's subs had little impact, Matt Smith heading over from close range.

At the other end Brownhill, a probable man of the match, was driving forward from his central midfield role, like the player who had  flashes of such dominance last season.

Combining with substitute O'Dowda, he had another go at goal, as City were convincingly picking their way through a QPR defence in the manner the home side managed first half.

As the game headed into injury time it was again Brownhill that was in the right position, drawing a close range save at the near post  after Weimann had got in behind them again.

But QPR were by now leaving gaps all over, and from the rebound, Brownhill chipped the ball smartly back to Weimann - now yards out centre of goal - who buried his second.

An emphatic end to City's eight month away drought and a cue for miserable and largely silent QPR fans to head for the exits, calling for their managers head. Better them than us.

There was little clue that City would run out convincing winners as QPR took the game to them, and in truth there is still much to work on. But patience at least was well rewarded.

Maenappa 6 Shot stopping seems reliable, distribution and decision making when running out not so clever.
Hunt 6 Poorest of our back four and loose with the ball going forward. 
Kelly 7 Back at full back and barely put a foot wrong and was a threat upfield.
Webster 7 Kept it simple with first time headers and clearances and as a result looked more convincing.
Pisano 7 A revelation at centre back, got his body behind everything, was streetwise, and never stopped. Best game in a City shirt.
Pack 6 Thought he was strangely subdued forced into a defensive role by QPRs midfield onslaught, looked much more himself when space opened up second half.
Brownhill 8 Between him and Weimann for MoM. Think he shades it - takes so much more responsibility at both ends when playing through the middle and energy is unmatched.
Watkins 5 A handful in terms of presence and strength, but did very little with the ball, and not yet sure what he will offer. 
Eliasson 7 Quiet first half but really shone in the second half with his delivery, his taking on defenders, and his defensive energy.
Taylor 7 Poor when asked to chase long balls or bring them under control, a total nuisance if given the ball in space or to feet. Play to his strengths and he is quicker thinking than Paterson.
Weimann 8 Didn't get into the game much first half but second half was as never-say-die a display as I've seen at this level from a City striker - running in behind defenders, winning aerial balls, chasing relentlessly, and popping up in the box in space to finish with confidence.

I watched the game on a a screen so small that it seemed like looking down the wrong end of a pair of binoculars, but I agree with your assessment Rob, and with giving Brownhill MOTM.

Tough on Weimann after his two goals and typically tireless performance, but Josh was essential at both ends of the pitch tonight.

Cheers @Olé. I will give you 9/10 for the report and 2/10 for the spacing. 

Personally, I thought Brownhill had quite a poor first half and gave the ball away a number of times in key areas. There is one memorable moment early on where he almost played Washington through on goal due to a sloppy backpass. 

I agree with the comments regarding Pisano. If he plays like that every week, I would be happy with him at CB this season. You could see how much the win meant to him at the end of the game. 

thanks ole next best thing to being there as always, watched it on the RED button quite apt I thought, not bad coverage and being just the one camera angle was like actually watching the game live, worth trying yourself when you can't make it to a game, thanks again safe trip home.

Well spotted comment re Pack. It looked to me as though they asked Eze to sit deeper off the front and man-mark Pack when we had possession. Certainly Eze gave Pack zero space. 

I think our game plan was to hit diagonals over their full backs and try to pull their horrendous CB’s to the flanks. Main reason it didn’t work too well for the most part was because they stifled our best diagonal passer when we had the ball. It resulted in an ugly half. 

Fair assessment. Thought the defence got stronger the longer the game went on - keeper became more dominant, centre backs weren't troubled and Kelly I thought  MotM. The fans will like Hunt for his forward movement but he gifts at least three chances a game to the opposition and that's a worrying trend we could do without.

I take your point about Taylor but thought his attitude and commitment tonight was spot on. Unlike Watkins who is Pearson reincarnate, moves and plays like him and is about as useful, which isn't something to boast about.

The Weimann experiment could be WeeLee's saving. Having notched his annual tally before August is out can he keep it up? Undoubtedly, of the £11m we splashed out in the summer he and the keeper the only ones who look to be worth their wages and a place in this league.

On Brownhill we'd have to agree to disagree. For me he's nothing more than a space filler and although all teams need one I don't see he's anything other than average, though at the death he did produce the knockback for the third.

Result is everything.

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Fair assessment. Thought the defence got stronger the longer the game went on - keeper became more dominant, centre backs weren't troubled and Kelly I thought  MotM. The fans will like Hunt for his forward movement but he gifts at least three chances a game to the opposition and that's a worrying trend we could do without.

I take your point about Taylor but thought his attitude and commitment tonight was spot on. Unlike Watkins who is Pearson reincarnate, moves and plays like him and is about as useful, which isn't something to boast about.

The Weimann experiment could be WeeLee's saving. Having notched his annual tally before August is out can he keep it up? Undoubtedly, of the £11m we splashed out in the summer he and the keeper the only ones who look to be worth their wages and a place in this league.

On Brownhill we'd have to agree to disagree. For me he's nothing more than a space filler and although all teams need one I don't see he's anything other than average, though at the death he did produce the knockback for the third.

Result is everything.

What did you think of Webster tonight (appreciate not cheap at £3.5m)?

An unexpected away win but gratefully received. As Ole points out it wasn't a perfect performance but it's a perfect three points.

Clearly still some way to go to feel that we will survive another season at this level, but once step, one day at a time.

Thanks to all, LJ and the coaches, the squad and those who were at Loftus Road, for the smile on my face as I settle down for the night. Plenty of tougher matches to come and let's hope it can be repeated at Swansea.

when we were 2 nil up, should of brought on Eisa and Dasilva, give them a chance to show what they can do., but as per normal johnson dont make changes till last 10 minutes,, brings on Eisa  on 90th minute, could of rested  couple of  players,   can never  understand  johnson,  he needs to try these players out.

15 minutes ago, oggysouthwest said:

when we were 2 nil up, should of brought on Eisa and Dasilva, give them a chance to show what they can do., but as per normal johnson dont make changes till last 10 minutes,, brings on Eisa  on 90th minute, could of rested  couple of  players,   can never  understand  johnson,  he needs to try these players out.

Disagree completely.  This was not a game for trying things out, this was a game for being certain about the win.  Lee was absolutely right to keep it tight right up to the 90th minute.  Bringing Eisa on right at the end flagged to the lad that he has a role to play, but last night was all about securing the win and Lee got it spot on.

@Olé - Was exactly as I saw the game; excellent report.

Watching made me gutted both Smith and Adelakun are injured (even more so in the formers case once the news came in post-game) as felt both may have proven interesting additions to the game - QPR had Watkins safely marshalled, but struggled with the pace and unpredictability of Eliasson, while Smith often helps bring the best from Brownhill, more so than I feel Pack does.

Was expecting a rough night up until we scored, but that changed the game, and with a young team still bedding in new signings (as well as coping with key injuries/suspensions) it is heartening we can grind out a win under this circumstances.

Swansea will be an entirely different test, but we’re another game toward Famara returning and injuries healing, so hope we can be more imposing once some of the currently missing players come back.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What did you think of Webster tonight (appreciate not cheap at £3.5m)?

He's done OK so far and played well last night. At Championship level I think a centre half needs to be more dominant than he's shown but he could develop into that type of player. Pisano took all responsibility last night for winning it when it mattered, particularly in the air 

12 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

He's done OK so far and played well last night. At Championship level I think a centre half needs to be more dominant than he's shown but he could develop into that type of player. Pisano took all responsibility last night for winning it when it mattered, particularly in the air 

No more than OK though for me, and for that money I expected more. Second half last night he improved but I thought first half he was poor.  Even when he did win the ball, kept giving it away again. I think it's significant that, last two games when he's had a makeshift partner alongside him, both times that partner, Kelly on Daturday and Pisano last night, they've looked more convincing. (And before anyone says, yes I know Kelly prefers that position, and is more than 'makeshift' but you know what I mean!)

As someone who hasn't been following QPRs exploits that closely in the news, can anyone tell me if there's a reason they are falling apart as of late? Shipped 10 goals in 2 games - reminds me of the end of Gary Johnson's era against Cardiff and then Doncaster. I'm assuming dressing room/managerial trouble with McClaren? 

27 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Not sure he would get in the ream with Baker and Wright both fit and on form. He needs to improve his defensive game and stop driving too far forward with the ball so much, which inevitably leads to being dispossessed and open us up to the counter attack.

55 minutes ago, Undy English said:

As someone who hasn't been following QPRs exploits that closely in the news, can anyone tell me if there's a reason they are falling apart as of late? Shipped 10 goals in 2 games - reminds me of the end of Gary Johnson's era against Cardiff and then Doncaster. I'm assuming dressing room/managerial trouble with McClaren? 

Owner has quit after all the excesses of Premiership and overspending, and they are now under FFP rules for the foreseeable, so had to lose their best paid players, and now relying on a pretty limited group. It's a thankless task for any manager/coach but one of the issues the QPR fans seem to have is that some felt Holloway was doing as good a job as could be expected with the resources and was unlucky to be sacked. My guess is that with the club up against it, the fans want someone with a bit of passion who can get the team being more than the sum of their parts. That's never been McClaren and so the whole thing is flat. 

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Owner has quit after all the excesses of Premiership and overspending, and they are now under FFP rules for the foreseeable, so had to lose their best paid players, and now relying on a pretty limited group. It's a thankless task for any manager/coach but one of the issues the QPR fans seem to have is that some felt Holloway was doing as good a job as could be expected with the resources and was unlucky to be sacked. My guess is that with the club up against it, the fans want someone with a bit of passion who can get the team being more than the sum of their parts. That's never been McClaren and so the whole thing is flat. 

Thanks for clarifying. I was aware of the FFP business but had no idea about the owner of fans views on Holloway.

I actually feel a tad sorry for McClaren for this occasion. A thankless task lies ahead, but as you say, there are other managers who probably could fire up all cylinders to get the best out of their team. Sadly I don't think this is McClaren's particular style and fear for his future at the club, especially with the whole of Loftus Rd booing the team and coaches off last night.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

No more than OK though for me, and for that money I expected more. Second half last night he improved but I thought first half he was poor.  Even when he did win the ball, kept giving it away again. I think it's significant that, last two games when he's had a makeshift partner alongside him, both times that partner, Kelly on Daturday and Pisano last night, they've looked more convincing. (And before anyone says, yes I know Kelly prefers that position, and is more than 'makeshift' but you know what I mean!)

Agree with how you've put it. Webster was better yesterday but only because he kept it simple, but not sure I've seen enough yet to be overwhelmed for £3.5m. To be honest it's underwhelming when (first half) you are relieved to see your £3.5m centre back heading a series of routine QPR balls into our box out for cheap throw ins. That was the minimum I'd expect from any central defender and it's taken a while for it to be a priority, although as LJ said post match, he's got them to go from being 80% artist 20% fighter to 20% artist 80% fighter, so perhaps his brief before yesterday was to always try and wait to get the ball down and run...

...and the one time he went on a long run last night, he lost the ball in their half and they broke with numbers against us - think Freeman wasted the chance, but it was a good one. So there is work there to do on decision making if we're hoping to realise this ball playing ability he was signed for.

Agree also that Pisano looked more convincing, I was really surprised, I think everyone expects him to have a mistake in him after last season, as did I, but he certainly looked more streetwise as a centre back than Webster, he's a big unit and used his body and size to good effect, staying close to opponents and being a pain. I was thinking he'd give away some cheap fouls but he seemed to get through the game with a relatively unblemished record.

Good report. One aspect that bugged me in the first half was that Kelly persistently ignored the opportunity to pass to Eliasson and went relentlessly backwards or inside. I thought that limited our attacking threat and Eliasson looked frustrated. That was a negative mark for Kelly, who was otherwise excellent, and the reason Eliasson was quiet.

13 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Good report. One aspect that bugged me in the first half was that Kelly persistently ignored the opportunity to pass to Eliasson and went relentlessly backwards or inside. I thought that limited our attacking threat and Eliasson looked frustrated. That was a negative mark for Kelly, who was otherwise excellent, and the reason Eliasson was quiet.

Agree! very frustrating to see him break forward and then come back and pass sideway/backwards - maybe with some more nous 

2 hours ago, Undy English said:

Sold their best three players and didn't replace them err.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Agree also that Pisano looked more convincing, I was really surprised, I think everyone expects him to have a mistake in him after last season, as did I, but he certainly looked more streetwise as a centre back than Webster, he's a big unit and used his body and size to good effect, staying close to opponents and being a pain. I was thinking he'd give away some cheap fouls but he seemed to get through the game with a relatively unblemished record.

Street wise, couple of times he was struggling with pace and conned the ref in to giving a foul in his favour

16 hours ago, Olé said:
They say the best things come to those that wait, and for an August fixture already being alarmingly dubbed a six pointer, that will be how it felt for a slow to start City tonight.

For 45 minutes two sides low on confidence and not blessed with obvious forward talent duelled it out to see whose recent brittle style of play would hold together for longer.

QPR won the opening battles, but it was City that won the war - and convincingly. Instead of coming out all guns blazing, City sat in and waited for their moment to strike.

Ironically it was well beaten QPR that pushed forward via far more confident passing and attacking interplay, creating a series of good chances, as players pushed up in support.

City on the other hand created little forward threat again - sitting deep, doubling down on not exposing recent shaky defending, while going more route one to an isolated Taylor.

So there was little clue that City would go on to dominate the match, as they looked clear second best to QPRs more convincing pass and move out of midfield for the opening 45.

QPR worked an early near post shot that was blocked, before another fast attacking move created room on the edge of the box for a 20  yard shot straight into Maenappa's clutches.

For City, Taylor's cross in from the right was hacked clear, but Pisano lifted it back out to the flank and from Taylor's next deeper ball, Eliasson slammed a rising far post shot over.

That was as close as City would get as they offered little support to Taylor and Weimann and instead had to be well organised to pick up QPRs waves of midfield-led attacking.

Brownhill did test the keeper with a brilliant strike from the right edge of the box midway through the half, but he was mostly pressed into tracking QPR runs and helping tidy up.

A low shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Maenappa, but his quick throw was straight out of play and QPR returned almost immediately to test him again inside the box.

From one marauding run from Webster the ball way given away cheaply in the QPR half and they broke in numbers, spreading play across the box before Freeman fired wide.

Freeman would fire wide twice more as QPR  fashioned at least five more chances without reply. The game seemed to be simply pitting QPR against City's newly resolute defence.

But City's patience would pay five minutes  before halftime as the energetic Brownhill drove out of midfield, releasing Taylor on the right in space with time to control and turn.

Taylor struggled to take long passes in his stride but on the ball is a different proposition and as the full back slipped he raced into the box and drilled a low shot into the far corner.

1-0 and scarcely deserved but perhaps just reward for City's patience - playing safety first with dogged defending until a brittle QPR made an inevitable defensive mistake.

The goal unsurprisingly sucked the life out of QPR and their downbeat supporters who went into halftime shell-shocked - and City sensed blood in the water after the break. 

Possibly the move of the match saw Taylor receive the ball to feet, this time in the left channel, and quick thinking, he instinctively backheeled it for the overlapping Eliason.

Eliasson had struggled to see the ball in the first half, but his crossing is always lethal and he arched a pin-point cross to the far post that Weimann met with a diving header. 

Right in front of the away end it was a dream goal - well crafted and emphatic - and from the celebrations among City's players, clear that confidence and self-belief was back. 

From then on it was largely plain sailing for City although midway through the half QPR did seize on Maenappa's wild run out of goal but could not convert with the goal gaping.

At the other end Pack miscued wildly after good work by the increasingly dominant Weimann, while QPR's subs had little impact, Matt Smith heading over from close range.

At the other end Brownhill, a probable man of the match, was driving forward from his central midfield role, like the player who had  flashes of such dominance last season.

Combining with substitute O'Dowda, he had another go at goal, as City were convincingly picking their way through a QPR defence in the manner the home side managed first half.

As the game headed into injury time it was again Brownhill that was in the right position, drawing a close range save at the near post  after Weimann had got in behind them again.

But QPR were by now leaving gaps all over, and from the rebound, Brownhill chipped the ball smartly back to Weimann - now yards out centre of goal - who buried his second.

An emphatic end to City's eight month away drought and a cue for miserable and largely silent QPR fans to head for the exits, calling for their managers head. Better them than us.

There was little clue that City would run out convincing winners as QPR took the game to them, and in truth there is still much to work on. But patience at least was well rewarded.

Maenappa 6 Shot stopping seems reliable, distribution and decision making when running out not so clever.
Hunt 6 Poorest of our back four and loose with the ball going forward. 
Kelly 7 Back at full back and barely put a foot wrong and was a threat upfield.
Webster 7 Kept it simple with first time headers and clearances and as a result looked more convincing.
Pisano 7 A revelation at centre back, got his body behind everything, was streetwise, and never stopped. Best game in a City shirt.
Pack 6 Thought he was strangely subdued forced into a defensive role by QPRs midfield onslaught, looked much more himself when space opened up second half.
Brownhill 8 Between him and Weimann for MoM. Think he shades it - takes so much more responsibility at both ends when playing through the middle and energy is unmatched.
Watkins 5 A handful in terms of presence and strength, but did very little with the ball, and not yet sure what he will offer. 
Eliasson 7 Quiet first half but really shone in the second half with his delivery, his taking on defenders, and his defensive energy.
Taylor 7 Poor when asked to chase long balls or bring them under control, a total nuisance if given the ball in space or to feet. Play to his strengths and he is quicker thinking than Paterson.
Weimann 8 Didn't get into the game much first half but second half was as never-say-die a display as I've seen at this level from a City striker - running in behind defenders, winning aerial balls, chasing relentlessly, and popping up in the box in space to finish with confidence.

Agree on Pisano up to a point. He went to ground 2 or 3 times when he should have stood tall.

Taylor: Agree, and said it all along. He was crucified by certain older sages (they think) as non-league in the pub after Saturday's game, yet he does indeed offer more than Paterson at the moment. Equally, 2 genuine strikers is more of a threat. Taylor was part of the move for each of the three goals.

Archived