IGNORED

VPN - Help for a technophobe

sm2webb

Looking for a little help from OTIB’s knowledge ....

Off to Spain soon and long story short, my partner has an illness which may make it difficult to go out at times, so the option of her being able to watch Netflix or BBC IPlayer would be great.  Tried it before abroad, but they are geo-blocked.

I’ve read mention of VPN’s on here, but I have no idea where to start!  Ideally I wouldn’t want to pay, but if paying was the only option, something for a short time would be preferable.

Any help would be appreciated!

I've used a few different vpns and the BBC and Netflix tend to recognise and block them - mainly because their contracts with content providers require them to.

You might find one that works for a time, but there's a good chance it will get blocked.

The only way to really make it work is to run your own vpn on a server in the UK, which is a bit of a pain unless you're quite technical.

An alternative that's easier to use is something like a slingbox if you still have a place in the UK.

Thanks

I’m not at all tech savvy!

When not at home but still in the uk, I would use mobile data to create a hotspot and then use a tablet to get Netflix or iPlayer.

At home I use a nowtv box or chrome cast for Netflix to the tv, so I’m not sure if a slingbox would work for me (having never heard of them and just had a quick read!) as i’ve not got virgin or sky.

1 hour ago, sm2webb said:

Looking for a little help from OTIB’s knowledge ....

Off to Spain soon and long story short, my partner has an illness which may make it difficult to go out at times, so the option of her being able to watch Netflix or BBC IPlayer would be great.  Tried it before abroad, but they are geo-blocked.

I’ve read mention of VPN’s on here, but I have no idea where to start!  Ideally I wouldn’t want to pay, but if paying was the only option, something for a short time would be preferable.

Any help would be appreciated!

Proton vpn mate,it’s the Swiss company that do proton mail,the free option gives you limited servers but good speed and there is no dns leaks(guess you won’t no what that means but it’s good)

16 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Are you being pedantic or genuine? 

Its a Android based box which you can install a media player such as “Kodi” in which will allow you to play / stream media be in live tv or films / tv shows etc. 

Correct but it’s not a kodi box and don’t mislead people by saying it is  and then suggest people buying “kodi boxes” when as you say correctly kodi is a media player that anybody can put in a Android box,not having a dig mate but “kodi boxes” really boils my piss

I use PIA ( https://www.privateinternetaccess.com ), really good mobile apps are a huge bonus and quick servers around the globe to boot. Started with them as I recommend a VPN for any public WiFi use but obviously comes in handy for ye olde Netflix and the like. Be careful with the free VPNs as some use your local connection as an exit node and/or log your usage, not what you want! 

It's really easy to set up, just download the app and press a button to connect/disconnect. My elderly mother can manage her VPN just fine.

Archived