IGNORED

No standout man of the match today so...

AppyDAZE

How about we give it to LJ.

Possible gamble to go and match up Sheff Utd and try to stifle the game early on (he said as much on R. Bristol afterwards) I thought it was going to backfire.

Great subs, brilliantly managed today bearing in mind we have another 2 games this week.

MotM LJ   I applaud you, young man:clap:

16 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Possible gamble to go and match up Sheff Utd and try to stifle the game early on (he said as much on R. Bristol afterwards) I thought it was going to backfire.

Great subs, brilliantly managed today bearing in mind we have another 2 games this week.

Agree.

7 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Pack for me - and it's especially nice after his average performance last time out.

Possibly Brownhill for me, he has the uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time to break up dangerous moves and has an incredible engine, only thing missing with him and Pack was long passing radar today, but it was a proper team effort, I fear it may well be a struggle to keep hold of Mr Kelly at the end of the season if his impressive start to the season continues.

23 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Agree.

Possibly Brownhill for me, he has the uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time to break up dangerous moves and has an incredible engine, only thing missing with him and Pack was long passing radar today, but it was a proper team effort, I fear it may well be a struggle to keep hold of Mr Kelly at the end of the season if his impressive start to the season continues.

I found myself thinking that Kelly is already too good for us. So it’s up to us to keep up with him I think, or else he will have his head turned by someone.

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

I found myself thinking that Kelly is already too good for us. So it’s up to us to keep up with him I think, or else he will have his head turned by someone.

I honestly think he will be bought by a club like Tottenham in the near future. Think he has everything in his game but a couple full seasons with us won’t hurt! 

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Would not surprise me if he was gone next summer. Hopefully he wouldn't jump at he first sign of interest and just maybe decide that a season or two more as a guaranteed starter here is a better option than doubling his wages over night. ?  

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Would not surprise me if he was gone next summer. Hopefully he wouldn't jump at he first sign of interest and just maybe decide that a season or two more as a guaranteed starter here is a better option than doubling his wages over night. ?  

If Kelly goes then it got to be for big bucks. I should imagine he’s getting noticed and has developed a reputation in a short time while playing championship football. Look like he’s destined for the top?

1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

Think our team is a unit at the moment. Defence, mf and fw. Everyone does his job and that was showen yesterday. Our subs made impact, well done LJ and the players!

So much was made about us losing our "star" players in the summer, and how difficult it would be to replace them, but what it seems we have done is to build a better team and squad. 

Whether Webster is a better player than Flint is not the issue, but it does seem that he contributes to us becoming a more solid defensive unit than were with Flint ( although the addition of Kalas has also made a difference!). We have no one with the mercurial individual talent of Tomlin, but it doesn't seem tour detriment even though Tomlin has gone on to bigger and better ...............doh!

I was worried that it might take some time for the new additions to gel this season, and read many posts suggesting that Kelly would have to be eased in gently in order to find his feet if he were to be seen as Bryan's replacement, along with all those posts speculating that with the difficult fixtures at the start of the season,  it would be a struggle until Fammy returned and how would we replace Reid's goals.

I am more than pleasantly surprised by how quickly the players have gelled and the results have been far better than any of us could have imagined back in the summer. That some of the results have been achieved without us playing at our best augurs well for the rest of the season and is a reminder of GJ's team, who often seemed able to grind out a result against the odds.

LJ does seem to be following in his father's footsteps by building a team that is better than the sum of it's parts, and that's no bad thing at all if they can emulate the team of a decade ago, or even go one better than they did. Just in case Robbored is getting worried by this comparison, I do think that LJ has more strings to his bow, as he appears to be a more forward thinking coach than Dad and is able to get his teams to play far batter and entertaining football.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

So much was made about us losing our "star" players in the summer, and how difficult it would be to replace them, but what it seems we have done is to build a better team and squad. 

Whether Webster is a better player than Flint is not the issue, but it does seem that he contributes to us becoming a more solid defensive unit than were with Flint ( although the addition of Kalas has also made a difference!). We have no one with the mercurial individual talent of Tomlin, but it doesn't seem tour detriment even though Tomlin has gone on to bigger and better ...............doh!

I was worried that it might take some time for the new additions to gel this season, and read many posts suggesting that Kelly would have to be eased in gently in order to find his feet if he were to be seen as Bryan's replacement, along with all those posts speculating that with the difficult fixtures at the start of the season,  it would be a struggle until Fammy returned and how would we replace Reid's goals.

I am more than pleasantly surprised by how quickly the players have gelled and the results have been far better than any of us could have imagined back in the summer. That some of the results have been achieved without us playing at our best augurs well for the rest of the season and is a reminder of GJ's team, who often seemed able to grind out a result against the odds.

LJ does seem to be following in his father's footsteps by building a team that is better than the sum of it's parts, and that's no bad thing at all if they can emulate the team of a decade ago, or even go one better than they did. Just in case Robbored is getting worried by this comparison, I do think that LJ has more strings to his bow, as he appears to be a more forward thinking coach than Dad and is able to get his teams to play far batter and entertaining football.

Great minds and all that! I was going to post pretty much the same thing! For the last three years we`ve relied on one player to get the goals we need but seem to have reverted to a team with no real superstars but one which is much better than the individuals within it. There are definite parallels with the GJ team (although I think the players in this current side are of better quality) but I would also say it`s got shades of the Cotts side too where goals came from all over the pitch and we didn`t rely on one man to get them.

Interesting observation from a Blades fan

Appears LJs game plan was a good and sensible one 

‘just reading johnson’s ( city manager) comments with interest.. it would appear that they matched us up 3-5-2 and then switched to 4-4-2
that makes a lot of sense if you think about it
we usually start fast high energy get a goal up and then counter teams
what teams are doing (and have been doing 2nd half of last season) is keeping us within distance and waiting for duffy to go off then they switch systems and overrun us ;)

15 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

From one who isn't a member of his fan club, I agree that his managing of this match was good. A latish winner also helped to make us all feel better than a 0-0!

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting observation from a Blades fan

Appears LJs game plan was a good and sensible one 

‘just reading johnson’s ( city manager) comments with interest.. it would appear that they matched us up 3-5-2 and then switched to 4-4-2
that makes a lot of sense if you think about it
we usually start fast high energy get a goal up and then counter teams
what teams are doing (and have been doing 2nd half of last season) is keeping us within distance and waiting for duffy to go off then they switch systems and overrun us ;)

The point about Duffy going off is spot on, for me he is their key attacking player. I thought he was motm when we won there last season, when we again finished stronger than them.

9 hours ago, downendcity said:

Whether Webster is a better player than Flint is not the issue, but it does seem that he contributes to us becoming a more solid defensive unit than were with Flint ( although the addition of Kalas has also made a difference!).

And signed to help us play from the back, complimenting the way Pack comes into the space he creates.

We have no one with the mercurial individual talent of Tomlin, but it doesn't seem tour detriment even though Tomlin has gone on to bigger and better ...............doh!

I was worried that it might take some time for the new additions to gel this season, and read many posts suggesting that Kelly would have to be eased in gently in order to find his feet if he were to be seen as Bryan's replacement,

Hands up from me on Kelly.  Didn’t see him playing 30+ league games, thought it would be a big ask, despite his talent.  Can now see him being a crucial player...that’s some accolade at 19, and replacing Bryan.

along with all those posts speculating that with the difficult fixtures at the start of the season,  it would be a struggle until Fammy returned and how would we replace Reid's goals.

I thought we might have 11ish points after 10 games, but with lots of draws (bit pessimistic I know).  I’m very happy, and as each game goes by I see what drove Recruitment.  We are not bloated, which is something i’m glad about.

Nice post

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Kelly was my MOTM. 

But if it was possible to vote on a 30-minute performance then minute-for-minute O'Dowda gets it. Watkins got the goal, but COD's industry turned the match.

LJ deserves huge credit as well.

I totally agree RR. In all honesty (and I've been critical of LJ), I would like to have given him MOTM TBH as his subs and switch in formation won us the game. 

Maybe, just maybe, he's learning by his previous mistakes? Let's hope so eh. 

Archived