IGNORED

FIFA to introduce loan limits (Merged)

Silvio Dante

Fifa agrees to limit loan deals and re-introduce agent regulation http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45643965

Limit on the number of players a club can have out on loan at any point has been proposed by FIFA. They’re suggesting a maximum of six per club.

An interesting development but has to exclude ‘youth’ loans up to, say, age 21 IMO as they are vital to development at all levels. What it should stop though is serial loanees like our own Kalas and Todd Kane - maybe encouraging players to move on, and clubs to accept fees when they can’t get loan fee after loan fee.

Feels, if implemented with consideration for player development, that it should be a good thing

About time, gives those players who want to play and develop their careers more of a chance. Should see a lot more talent in the championship. I wonder if this will see more young English players push on and actually prove their worth by getting games at a decent level and not being prostituted out by the parent club to the highest bidder as well as try and financially penalise clubs who don’t play them 

its a shame FIFA can’t/won’t cap the amount of players that are foreign nationals in a starting team to 6 or 7 

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Surely means players just stay at parent club and don't get the development of first team football. We have more than 6 out on loan so under such rules would mean we have players stuck in under 23s.

I think the devil has to be in the detail.

I think you have to allow unlimited youth loans to account for development, but there needs to be a cut off age - I’d call that 21.

Nobody wants to stop development which is where most of our loans sit. However, if you turn round to Chelsea (as the biggest example) and say, right, you can only have 6 over 21s out on loan at any one time it’ll do the following:

- They will be less likely to give big contracts to young players. Unless they’re 90% plus said player will make it, why give a 21 year old £50k a week when you’ll be paying that come what may without the offset of substantial loan fees?

- They’ll start offloading players and improve younger players chances of making it. By nature it’ll lead to smaller squads topped by youth

- On a similar front, players who spend their life on loan will be let go for a lower fee as there is no upside loan fee. Think Michael Hector, has he ever played for Chelsea? Kalas? And again, I don’t think Todd Kane’s multiple loans are about development - they’re an income stream, pure and simple. That income stream goes and the player has no chance of making it, why keep him?

If the six includes youth loans, it’s too much. If it doesn’t, it feels like a step towards sanity

I would say u-24 for Prem clubs.

U-23 for Championship

U-22 for league one

U-21 for League two.

That could well provide first team opportunities for players at different levels, and still give clubs the opportunity to buy development potential. I would also celebrate the end of fixed fee compensation based on academy status, which also gives talented kids a pathway to competitive adult football.

Someone like Southend losing that once in a generation local lad for 150k because their academy has a lower status than some prem giant doesn't encourage youth development.

6 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

This would adversely affect us as we currently loan out more than six players.

Absolutely, it’s a good thing all round though as clubs will not have the luxury of having stockpiles of players, as any player who has any aspirations of becoming a player will have to move if no chance of playing for either the first team or getting loaned out

This seems to not solve the problem at all and just make more issues. The fact that they cannot loan players out will not stop Man City or Chelsea stockpiling the best youngsters. They will just keep them playing under 23s football all season. They would lose out on loan fees etc but I imagine these are only significant (in premier league terms) in the odd case anyway. 

It would of stop young players getting competitive football too. Look at our lads out on loan now, will get much better experience than if they were playing in our under 23s. 

Fifa just don’t seem to understand the sport at all! 

It can be simplified. Should be you can loan out 6 players with wages covered and fees. After that, if you want to loan more out you have to cover wages. The big clubs would be less likely to stockpile youngsters if they have to pay their wages and can’t get fees for them. That allows them to get bigger wages off their books for unfancied players or earn some money. But also allows for their younger ones yet to be on loads have the opportunity to get football. 

How would it work about loaning out players to non league, we seem to have quite a few who do that for a few months. Also we have more than 6 out on loan at league clubs at the moment so agree some age cap needs to be introduced otherwise it punishes clubs like us as well as the Chelsea's etc who just do it for the loan fees.

9 hours ago, hodge said:

How would it work about loaning out players to non league, we seem to have quite a few who do that for a few months. Also we have more than 6 out on loan at league clubs at the moment so agree some age cap needs to be introduced otherwise it punishes clubs like us as well as the Chelsea's etc who just do it for the loan fees.

As others have said, I don’t think this necessarily refers to young players under 21, it’s the players over this age who just go out on loan generating an income for patent club

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

As others have said, I don’t think this necessarily refers to young players under 21, it’s the players over this age who just go out on loan generating an income for patent club

Haven't read fifa's proposal but does it specify an age?

Archived