Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Septic Peg

Bristol City v Aston Villa Match Day 10

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

This is me being extremely generous I know...but one of the criticisms of LJ is he does not know how to stop a losing run. Today we did. It was not pretty, and we played pretty poorly really, and we still came came away with a point.

More of a worry is we have looked bang average two games in a row now.

Bang average? That's generous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Two Friday nights in a row that I really can’t work out what our football philosophy is, awful football to watch. What’s happened to getting the ball down and passing the bloody thing with intent. 

 

Agree  PB lots of poor decisions and indifferent performances, we certainly didn’t look like scoring or even threatening when going forward. Villa were poor too. So in short not a great game and a draw was probably the right outcome. It’s really weird how we can never know what kind of performance we are going to see from our team.

Edited by Jerseybean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did he?!

I think it was his header from our corner that they had to clear off their line?

Edited by cityexile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Think were gona have one of those rare seasons for us.

Bang average, can't see us troubling the top six  nor in any danger of a relegation battle. 

Agree with this. I was thinking the same as I walked home tonight... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Two Friday nights in a row that I really can’t work out what our football philosophy is, awful football to watch. What’s happened to getting the ball down and passing the bloody thing with intent. 

 

Probably because their midfield were similar to ours, trying to battle for every ball rather than look for a pass. Both teams had spells of dominance but considering the Calibre of player we were up against there wasn’t much to choose between both teams and s draw was about right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished watching the game on the red button - living away from Bristol and having young kids, I was on a delay.

Really not sure what to make of that game, very odd. Solid, but no creative spark. The sort of game I think Diedhiou should have started, even though he did nothing once coming on.

Unusually poor performances from Eliasson and O’Dowda, contributing to our lack of creativity.

Deflected goal for us, cheap free kick goal for them. Probably fair to call it a draw, would have ended goalless on many other days.

Worryingly for me, the last two games we seem to have started very strongly, but have no “second wave” if we fail to score straight away. We definitely want to start strongly but don’t seem to know what to do if the goal doesn’t come.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Not surprised Villa fans want Bruce out mind. 

For 3.4k of fans they should be making more noise than that . Bang average side and bang average fans . 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Two worrying things - Weimann isn't having the same impact (I would have subbed him not Taylor) and Eliasson looks really inconsistent.

Completely completely completely agree . They didn’t know how to handle Taylor - some of his runs tonight off the ball were fantastic to watch . 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the game. Thought we done well and deserved the 3 points. Could be worse. Could be a club who are paying their players pathetic amounts of money. And playing with there clubs future. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Two worrying things - Weimann isn't having the same impact (I would have subbed him not Taylor) and Eliasson looks really inconsistent.

The thing is Weimann if he kept up his scoring rate would notch 20+

Eliassson  it's his first real bat at this level. Inconsistent or not his crossing ability is there to see, would be in every home game for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Bruce has the world against him doesn't he, in his own mind! According to him after the match, they had some terrible decisions against them, Tammy's goal should have been given, our goal was soft and our only real effort on target, they should have had a penalty. Nothing about how his overpaid team of stars are under performing!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering, and also hoping that LJ will take the players for a little trip before the next game.

A nice little trip up to the back of the stand to show each and every one of them where row Z is would come in handy.

Play your football, yes.. but ffs where is the brains when it's seconds from HT.

No, Lee... i said it last time and I say it again, don't take the responsibility for it, stop them f ing well doing it.

Oportunity wasted tonight,  Villa, I see why they been losing

 

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read the bbc report . 8 paragraphs of info - one relating to city out of all of them . Shocking reporting- talks about Steve Bruce / talks about villa form then manages to inform the readers that city did score then goes straight back to villa again . 

Clearly I’m naive in expecting a more balanced view . 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm wondering, and also hoping that LJ will take the players for a little trip before the next game.

A nice little trip up to the back of the stand to show each and every one of them where row Z is would come in handy.

Play your football, yes.. but ffs where is the brains when it's seconds from HT.

No, Lee... i said it last time, don't take the responsibility for it, stop them f ing well doing it.

 

No sets a bad example we no longer play in the 3rd Division South. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A battling point and a good point when you see their line up. Kept Grealish, Tammy, Kodjia, Adomah and Bolasie quiet! 

Webster MOTM. Superb. 

Hunt, Kelly, Baker, Brownhill and Taylor all very impressive too

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Surprised Eliasson stayed on as long as he did, frustrating night for him. I would have left Taylor on.

Agree about Taylor. I thought he was really starting to rattle them in the 10 mins before he was subbed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

Just read the bbc report . 8 paragraphs of info - one relating to city out of all of them . Shocking reporting- talks about Steve Bruce / talks about villa form then manages to inform the readers that city did score then goes straight back to villa again . 

Clearly I’m naive in expecting a more balanced view . 

 

 

We are talking about a club that was famous nearly 40 years ago you know! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Offside said:

Agree about Taylor. I thought he was really starting to rattle them in the 10 mins before he was subbed.

I loved it when he went and asked their keeper if he was enjoying the game so far ... hilarious 

I’m  sure they could run a caption competition for the two of them talking ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest thought it was a decent performance by us. Don’t understand why Lee thinks it’s necessary to make substitutions. O’Dowda was doing ok and Taylor was causing then problems throughout. Patterson and Diedhiou just as well not have bothered. 

Take a point and move on. I was concerned that we were about to embark on a lee Johnson losing streak so at least we’ve avoided that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Just finished watching the game on the red button - living away from Bristol and having young kids, I was on a delay.

Really not sure what to make of that game, very odd. Solid, but no creative spark. The sort of game I think Diedhiou should have started, even though he did nothing once coming on.

Unusually poor performances from Eliasson and O’Dowda, contributing to our lack of creativity.

Deflected goal for us, cheap free kick goal for them. Probably fair to call it a draw, would have ended goalless on many other days.

Worryingly for me, the last two games we seem to have started very strongly, but have no “second wave” if we fail to score straight away. We definitely want to start strongly but don’t seem to know what to do if the goal doesn’t come.

“No second wave” sums up what I was trying to put my finger on. Some good spells (usually in a first half) with good triangles opening up chances but this creative element fades quickly and badly and cannot seem to return too often

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game of two halves for me. First half we looked alright and were attempting to pass it around. We had a little period of pressure where I thought we would get a second. Great free kick by them, whipping in the cross for their goal - always hard to defend. 

2nd half we were just lumping it forward and FAM never won a header. Taking off COD didn’t help and Taylor was unlucky - always puts a shift in and looks improved from last year.

Kodjia got loads of s**t which was great fun and glad Tammy got chanted off. Villa fans booed him - silly sods but they were quiet all night.

Finally - you can see why that Grealish is so well regarded - he is a right tart but always has space

Bruce will be gone by Xmas - particularly  after I just read his post match comments. Bloke must have pie residue in his eyes

3 points from Rotherham then an inform Wednesday !

 

Edited by TonyTonyTony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Game of two halves for me. First half we looked alright and were attempting to pass it around. We had a little period of pressure where I thought we would get a second. Great free kick by them, whipping in the cross for their goal - always hard to defend. 

2nd half we were just limping it forward and FAM never won a header. Taking of COD didn’t help and Taylor was unlucky - always puts a shift in and looks improved from last year.

Kodjia got loads of s**t which was great and glad Tammy got chanted off. Villa fans booed him - silly sods but they were quiet all night.

Finally - you can see why that Grealish is so well regarded - he is a right tart but always has space

Bruce will be gone by Xmas

They were booing Bruce for taking him off

As for Grealish - what a whinging pathetic baby he is

Ability or no ability he’ needs  to stock up on pampers.

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They were booing Bruce for taking him off

Was sat behind Villa dug out. Brucey seemed to be visibly feeling the pressure tonight at times. Definitely unimpressed when Villa fans were chanting that they wanted him out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They were booing Bruce for taking him off

As for Grealish - what a whinging pathetic baby he is

Ability or no ability he’ needs  to stock up on pampers.

That makes sense re Tammy.

Agreed re Grealish - although what would we give for his ability ? Massive tart though he is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Midred said:

Steve Bruce has the world against him doesn't he, in his own mind! According to him after the match, they had some terrible decisions against them, Tammy's goal should have been given, our goal was soft and our only real effort on target, they should have had a penalty. Nothing about how his overpaid team of stars are under performing!

I thought the ref was very good tonight, strong with his decisions.  Booking players based on the foul, rather than the name on the shirt, profile etc.

23 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

To be honest thought it was a decent performance by us. Don’t understand why Lee thinks it’s necessary to make substitutions. O’Dowda was doing ok and Taylor was causing then problems throughout. Patterson and Diedhiou just as well not have bothered. 

Take a point and move on. I was concerned that we were about to embark on a lee Johnson losing streak so at least we’ve avoided that. 

I thought it was a game where we might’ve kept the same players on too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a scrappy game. A draw was a fair result. I thought we played well in spells but also showed them too much respect at times by standing off them. I don't think our substitutes really improved us - our attacking threat diminished as the game wore on. There was a spell at the start of the second half when they put us under pressure but overall we looked solid.

Tammy played well for them and was a constant threat. I was quite surprised at how quickly their fans turned on Bruce. 

Overall I'm happy with a point tonight. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Was sat behind Villa dug out. Brucey seemed to be visibly feeling the pressure tonight at times. Definitely unimpressed when Villa fans were chanting that they wanted him out. 

Yes, a good idea when youre under pressure from your fans and need to win, to take off both forwards

Edited by AppyDAZE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AppyDAZE said:

Yes, a good idea when youre under pressure from your fans to take off both forwards  :laugh:

It was an odd one wasn't it! He had to take some time explaining to Tammy why he did it. I'm still not sure now Tammy understood the reasons given his perplexed expression.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually thought we did really well tonight considering the calibre of opposition we were up against. Let's be honest ...if Villa find a second gear they could go on to mop the floor with this league 

We lacked creativity at times but again, I put this down to the calibre of opponent we were up against. 

Disappointing to concede the goal we did....another set piece...but thought the defence looked good today. Nice to see Hunt starting to settle to . Baker did well to 

A good and fair result against a team that will be top 6 in May. 

Decent atmosphere in the ground to . Probably the most ive enjoyed a home game for a long time 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Actually thought we did really well tonight considering the calibre of opposition we were up against. Let's be honest ...if Villa find a second gear they could go on to mop the floor with this league 

We lacked creativity at times but again, I put this down to the calibre of opponent we were up against. 

Disappointing to concede the goal we did....another set piece...but thought the defence looked good today. Nice to see Hunt starting to settle to . Baker did well to 

A good and fair result against a team that will be top 6 in May. 

Decent atmosphere in the ground to . Probably the most ive enjoyed a home game for a long time 

Blimey, everyone so level-headed tonight. Bit boring really 😂 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was reasonably happy with that. Point, fairly hard thought- about what I expected.

Shame O'Dowda didn't welly it approaching half time, just typical that we should concede at such a crucial time. Thought a good atmosphere too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They were booing Bruce for taking him off

As for Grealish - what a whinging pathetic baby he is

Ability or no ability he’ needs  to stock up on pampers.

You can see why he's the most fouled player in the division. Good player but if you were an opponent you'd never tire of kicking him.

That incident in the second half where he tried to rile up O'Dowda, who just gave him a look of "wtf are you doing you clown?" and walked off, was priceless.  

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

You can see why he's the most fouled player in the division. Good player but if you were an opponent you'd never tire of kicking him.

That incident in the second half where he tried to rile up O'Dowda, who just gave him a look of "wtf are you doing you clown?" and walked off, was priceless.  

Jack Freakish ( not me but predictive text ! ) plays like Pato can play on his day .

Come back Pato, We miss you .

As it stands his new contract is not looking to be the best bit of business that the club has done this year .

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

It was an odd one wasn't it! He had to take some time explaining to Tammy why he did it. I'm still not sure now Tammy understood the reasons given his perplexed expression.

Tammy is playing for the wrong club! He and LJ left the pitch with their arms round each other!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Tammy is playing for the wrong club! He and LJ left the pitch with their arms round each other!

I expect there is a bit of `wish I was still here` from Tammy TBH - with our wingers now he could fill his boots. Imagine Niclas putting those dipping crosses and corners that land on the six yard line in if we had him lurking there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Tammy is playing for the wrong club! He and LJ left the pitch with their arms round each other!

Can't disagree with that RRH. Felt the same thing myself once Brucey hauled him off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...