IGNORED

Steve Bruce

Silvio Dante

On 28/09/2018 at 23:45, AppyDAZE said:

I think he has a point about the "goal" but I would be embarrassed if i were him claiming they deserved to win tonight. They were crap, considering the players at his disposal

Regarding the goal - it may have been deflected, but if we shot more we would get more deflections .....  if you don’t buy a ticket you don’t win a prize!

30 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Regarding the goal - it may have been deflected, but if we shot more we would get more deflections .....  if you don’t buy a ticket you don’t win a prize!

The last sentence isn't exactly true .

I have often won prizes without buying a ticket . Reader's Digest , For one, contact me often to inform me of my winnings but I never claim them . 

Not to mention the international raffle where all I have to do is send thirty quid to an office in Nigeria for them to send me my chèque by registered mail .

:yes:

17 hours ago, Diddlydonkey said:

That stupid floppy hair really annoys me. And the socks, proper tart.

Oldies like me can remember players like Dave Thomas and Stan Bowles , that would play with socks rolled down and no shin pads.

The difference was, that they got kicked - and properly so - but without the level of play acting we see these days, and they would more than often ride challenges that causes today's players to go down like a sack of spuds.

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

Oldies like me can remember players like Dave Thomas and Stan Bowles , that would play with socks rolled down and no shin pads.

The difference was, that they got kicked - and properly so - but without the level of play acting we see these days, and they would more than often ride challenges that causes today's players to go down like a sack of spuds.

Loved watching those two players....

B7D70B69-D911-48B1-885B-5E7D63742FEF.jpeg

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Loved watching those two players....

B7D70B69-D911-48B1-885B-5E7D63742FEF.jpeg

Managers like Bruce moan that players like Grealish don't get protection from referees.

Players like Thomas and Bowles ( and many other equally skilful players back then) not only didn't get protection from referees, but suffered from tackles from behind, i.e. right through the back of them and career threatening challenges every week. While would be wrong to say there was no play acting ( Francis Lee) most of these guys rode tackles and got on with the game.

The very best was Best himself. Remember a game against Chelsea when he went through the entire defines with every challenge a leg breaker ( including the fearsome Ron Harris almost chasing him down) but he maintained his balance to go on and score. Today's players would have been throwing themselves to the ground before getting into the box in similar circumstances.

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Managers like Bruce moan that players like Grealish don't get protection from referees.

Players like Thomas and Bowles ( and many other equally skilful players back then) not only didn't get protection from referees, but suffered from tackles from behind, i.e. right through the back of them and career threatening challenges every week. While would be wrong to say there was no play acting ( Francis Lee) most of these guys rode tackles and got on with the game.

The very best was Best himself. Remember a game against Chelsea when he went through the entire defines with every challenge a leg breaker ( including the fearsome Ron Harris almost chasing him down) but he maintained his balance to go on and score. Today's players would have been throwing themselves to the ground before getting into the box in similar circumstances.

Yep, agree with loads of that, except Francis Lee mocked players who dived, he wasn’t guilty of ‘play acting’ - he did this (below) loads of times to take the piss and highlight the problem....

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Rodney Marsh, Charlie George - those were the days! Mind you, the latter two weren`t averse to giving a bit back either.

17 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Rodney Marsh, Charlie George - those were the days! Mind you, the latter two weren`t averse to giving a bit back either.

A fair few skilful players could dish it out back then. The difference was that they took it as well.

These days to many are happy to dish it out, but cry like babies when it's dished out to them.

P.S. What would players like these be worth today and why didn't Currie and particularly Hudson play more for England?

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

A fair few skilful players could dish it out back then. The difference was that they took it as well.

These days to many are happy to dish it out, but cry like babies when it's dished out to them.

P.S. What would players like these be worth today and why didn't Currie and particularly Hudson play more for England?

Currie I think was that he was at an `unfashionable` club in Sheff Utd and I believe Hudson had `problems` off the field. That and the fact that England were terrified of playing any sort of `maverick` - it didn`t send out the right message to the masses dontcha know.

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Currie I think was that he was at an `unfashionable` club in Sheff Utd and I believe Hudson had `problems` off the field. That and the fact that England were terrified of playing any sort of `maverick` - it didn`t send out the right message to the masses dontcha know.

Including managers, like Mr. Clough for eg

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yeh but most of Currie’s England caps came when he was playing for Leeds - definitely a fashionable club in the seventies...

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

They don’t get much more skilful than Cantona and his reaction to this Vinnie Jones “tackle” is brilliant, I wish more players took this approach and got straight up as if to say ‘you can’t hurt me’ instead of rolling about, nobody wants to see dangerous tackles but if you are not hurt get up!  Only a yellow as well!!

5 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

They don’t get much more skilful than Cantona and his reaction to this Vinnie Jones “tackle” is brilliant, I wish more players took this approach and got straight up as if to say ‘you can’t hurt me’ instead of rolling about, nobody wants to see dangerous tackles but if you are not hurt get up!  Only a yellow as well!!

Whatever you think of Man Utd, Cantona was a class act .....can’t believe Liverpool, Sheff Weds and Leeds didn’t think he was good enough....and let him slip through their fingers....

I think that match proves we got the better deal for Kodjia.

He's roughly scored the same amount of goals for Villa as he did for us but in twice as many matches. Which would imply his attitude problem is getting worse especially looking at his petulant display on Friday night.

As for Bruce, considering the disgusting fortune he has spent they should be walking the league but clearly using the "Football Manager" tactic of buying anybody and everybody who's good clearly doesn't work.

I don't think he's that worried as he'll get a big payoff.

A lot of fuss has been made about their league form, but the FFP talk has died down considerably.

Given the amount of money they continue to spend, are they not in huge trouble at the end of this season if they don't get promoted?

Also, is it at all possible that Bruce hasn't been sacked already because of FFP? I imagine paying him off will take a considerable sum, and getting someone worthwhile would again cost enough to make next season a tough one.

11 hours ago, Swede said:

I think that match proves we got the better deal for Kodjia.

He's roughly scored the same amount of goals for Villa as he did for us but in twice as many matches. Which would imply his attitude problem is getting worse especially looking at his petulant display on Friday night.

As for Bruce, considering the disgusting fortune he has spent they should be walking the league but clearly using the "Football Manager" tactic of buying anybody and everybody who's good clearly doesn't work.

I don't think he's that worried as he'll get a big payoff.

Money and success don't always correlate.

Middlesbrough, Derby and now Aston Villa all should have gone up, perhaps as Champions in the last few years but didn't. Wolves spent very well, Brighton though close to the limit with FFP didn't- Derby thought buying the cream of the Championship would work- 10 years ago maybe but now no sure-fire thing.

Wolves did spend too, but spent superbly tbh. Outside the box (with an ethically questionable model though)- spending to an extent in the case of Aston Villa, or in other instances Derby and Middlesbrough, the way they spent was generally lazy.

Think Aston Villa should be doing a lot better than they are though, on paper etc.

@EnderMB

Personally I think, but also by rights, they should IMO be punished this season for it- because real accounts 16/17, real accounts last season whenever they're released and projected accounts as submitted by the club should see a hefty points deduction this year- if indeed it's merited. Next season is an all too convenient cop-out, because if they have breached it badly and they go up this year they will have gained a significant advantage through flouting the regs- so any punishment should I think be in place by the end of this season- March 2019 is when accounts are assessed and this is the first season the new and beefed up rules will have been in place over a rolling 3 year period- if needs be, there's no excuse not to punish at the end of the season.

Very arrogant too a lot of Villa fans- thought so from some of their chants Friday. Read one or 2 of their blogs too- not so much arrogant about us but generally.

Talking of Villa and their fans, browsed their forum earlier.

Big claim by a poster on there:

Posted Saturday at 14:30

Where the only players in their natural positions are the 'keeper, one center back, two central midfielders and the central striker and expect to play with fluency, you have absolutely lost the plot. 

Over half of the team played out of position. I'm a Bruce supporter but I am left scratching my head as to why he is doing what he is doing. The 'plan' doesn't make sense to me and it isn't working. 

One thing Bruce can't (and doesn't) complain about is the support. Sell out again, I was sat with the Bristol fans, or should I say neutral fans, so many Villa fans sat in the home end

We deserve a bit better than what we saw really. 

Good thing they sat on their hands when they scored, unless there were any who blew their cover and were ejected- anyone? :dunno:

19 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I'd add Duncan McKenzie to that list. A real maverick of a player, smoked about 30 a day, used to jump over minis as a party trick but still mesmerised defences, scored 20 a season and would have played for England regularly under Clough who bought him for Leeds.  I genuinely think he came under the genius category tag given to the likes of Best and, in the modern era, Messi. When you add him to the other players mentioned above plus Stan Bowles then, if they were slotted in with a few hard grafters, England would have had a team that would have played with a Brazil at their best swagger. Would have needed the right manager though.  

Grealish is a talent for sure but he's very one footed and maybe a similar but lesser player to Jack Wilshire. He doesn't score a lot of goals for an attacking midfielder either, even at Championship level. 

Considering the size and draw of Villa you would have thought they must have an abundance of young talent waiting in the wings. Perhaps it's fat old dinosaurs like Bruce who are holding that club back.

Perhaps then, its better he stays and suffers FFP as they're sure to get promotion with a new man in charge.

Archived