IGNORED

Have a look at yourselves!

SStandUp

22 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Why after every loss do we go into an utterly embarrassing meltdown. We've played very poorly in 2 away games this year, granted. But in the other 9 we've been decent for large parts, and very good at times too.

We lost £24 million worth of quality in the summer and here we are 1 point off the play offs.

Im seeing things like Famara is our worst signing ever... a bloke who scored 13 goals last year after having 3 and a half months out injured! 

A lot of our fan base need to get a grip. There is absolutely no sense of perspective. When you consider everything about the club, what gives us the right to be anywhere near the play offs.

Wage bill, money spent, attendances, players are all average/ mid table for the championship... yet everyone expects so much more. Why? Because we beat a 2nd string Man United team in the tinpot cup? Grow up 

With respect mate you need to remember that this forum consists of a very small proportion of the support, so I don't think you are in any way qualified to comment about the fanbase generally. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and some are pretty entrenched but so what ? It doesn't disrupt the coach, the squad or the vast majority of other supporters, when any displeasure is limited to a few lines on a fans forum.

I don't recall that United team as being "second string" nor is the league cup "tinpot" to anyone outside the top six in the Premier League incidentally. so a spot of growing up needed yourself as your post comes across as a proper meltdown in itself.

I understood the lack of consistency argument at the end of last season and we haven’t won for quite a few matches now but we haven’t sunken to the same losing streak and have stuck games out whilst performing poorly. So that issue seems to have been addressed somewhat but to compare a quarter of a season with a whole season is ridiculous.

To day we don’t miss the 3 players we sold, two of whom now play in the premiership is ridiculous.

Our squad, talent wise, is probably where it should be in this league.

I think part of the frustration comes from the fact that when we made the subs and had a go we created three chances that should have won us the game. We turned up for about 15 minutes and could have won that game!! The other 75 minutes we looked disjointed and some players didn’t even look up for it.

But the keeper was solid and without doing anything spectacular made sure we got out of there with a point. It’s the inconsistency of performance in 90 minutes let alone game to game that is hard to fathom.

It looks to me like the team needs a big character/leader in it.

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think part of the frustration comes from the fact that when we made the subs and had a go we created three chances that should have won us the game. We turned up for about 15 minutes and could have won that game!! The other 75 minutes we looked disjointed and some players didn’t even look up for it.

But the keeper was solid and without doing anything spectacular made sure we got out of there with a point. It’s the inconsistency of performance in 90 minutes let alone game to game that is hard to fathom.

It looks to me like the team needs a big character/leader in it.

This is where we miss Flint, not defensively or his goals although they were a bonus but his attitude. Webster doesn’t have it as yet.

4 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

At no point did I reference Woodrow / Leto 

I'm not saying we can't progress. But I don't think we SHOULD EXPECT to progress. When we sold Kodjia we had Tammy (replaced), when we sold Ayling we bought in Pisano (who started very well before injury, replaced), we sold Freeman we had Brownhill/ O'dowda who filled that void (replaced).

Now, i like the look of webster, he's started well. I like the look of Kelly. But they aren't Flint or Bryan just yet. And when it comes to Bobby Reid, he simply hasn't been replaced. 

I can acknowledge the poor performances. And I can acknowledge the response to the WBA game. 

But my main point was, and perhaps I went off topic slightly, was that we sometimes lose a sense of perspective. Unfortunately with this squad we are going to get indifferent performances. You look at our starting 11 Wednesday, it's still a reasonably new group. We set ourselves very high standards in terms of the football we played last year, and at times we have shown that but similarly at times we haven't. It's a team in transition, it's a team that will only get better. 

I just don't think, considering the position we are in, we need to berate the team or management after every poor result / performance - it's funny how everyone is concentrating on the terrible first half, rather than the second, where we looked like the only team that was going to win it. Johnson actually changing personnel and formation which transformed the game, but let's ignore all that. It doesn't fit the agenda. 

Theres quite clearly a divide with Johnson, it frustrates me when I see people revel in our failures to have a pop at the bloke. When all things considered he's doing a decent job. 

Yes you did reference Leko and Woodrow - just before the cup game vs United, you said we’d be very frail without them 

4 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

At no point did I reference Woodrow / Leto 

I'm not saying we can't progress. But I don't think we SHOULD EXPECT to progress. When we sold Kodjia we had Tammy (replaced), when we sold Ayling we bought in Pisano (who started very well before injury, replaced), we sold Freeman we had Brownhill/ O'dowda who filled that void (replaced).

Now, i like the look of webster, he's started well. I like the look of Kelly. But they aren't Flint or Bryan just yet. And when it comes to Bobby Reid, he simply hasn't been replaced. 

I can acknowledge the poor performances. And I can acknowledge the response to the WBA game. 

But my main point was, and perhaps I went off topic slightly, was that we sometimes lose a sense of perspective. Unfortunately with this squad we are going to get indifferent performances. You look at our starting 11 Wednesday, it's still a reasonably new group. We set ourselves very high standards in terms of the football we played last year, and at times we have shown that but similarly at times we haven't. It's a team in transition, it's a team that will only get better. 

I just don't think, considering the position we are in, we need to berate the team or management after every poor result / performance - it's funny how everyone is concentrating on the terrible first half, rather than the second, where we looked like the only team that was going to win it. Johnson actually changing personnel and formation which transformed the game, but let's ignore all that. It doesn't fit the agenda. 

Theres quite clearly a divide with Johnson, it frustrates me when I see people revel in our failures to have a pop at the bloke. When all things considered he's doing a decent job. 

For two seasons now the excuses have been based around how many windows , not his squad yet , unfair to judge him yet etc etc 

We lose 3 players and now it’s ‘What can you expect’ (Deapite over 50 players recruited and £40 odd million spent.

How convenient 

Next season...

And the season after....

when does LJ become accountable ?

What do I expect after selling Flint Bryan and Reid (All underrated by many) ?

Promotion.   No chance 

Play Offs ?   Would be fun but no

Mid table ? Fine with that

Some semblance of plan and consistency.    Yes

At the very least a committed hungry performance.  Absolutely Essential - - A Must for me

The last two are not being delivered on any form of consistent basis , and that I start to find both irritating and a increasing signal,

who’s responsible for that ?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

For two seasons now the excuses have been based around how many windows , not his squad yet , unfair to judge him yet etc etc 

We lose 3 players and now it’s ‘What can you expect’ (Deapite over 50 players recruited and £40 odd million spent.

How convenient 

Next season...

And the season after....

when does LJ become accountable ?

What do I expect after selling Flint Bryan and Reid (All underrated by many) ?

Promotion.   No chance 

Play Offs ?   Would be fun but no

Mid table ? Fine with that

Some semblance of plan and consistency.    Yes

At the very least a committed hungry performance.  Absolutely Essential - - A Must for me

The last two are not being delivered on any form of consistent basis , and that I start to find both irritating and a increasing signal,

who’s responsible for that ?

Apart from 2 games (Wigan and Rotherham), we've been very consistent. 

Do you watch or interact with football outside of City? Absolutely no one performs to the exact same standard every game. Admittedly those 2 away genes were very poor, but every team has very poor games.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes you did reference Leko and Woodrow - just before the cup game vs United, you said we’d be very frail without them 

I have absolutely no recolection of saying that. But I do remember us being light in numbers as a squad at the time. So the statement, whether said or not, wasn't totally wrong.

My post was about perspective on expectations this season. Not whether we had a strong squad going into the cup game against united. 

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Apart from 2 games (Wigan and Rotherham), we've been very consistent. 

Do you watch or interact with football outside of City? Absolutely no one performs to the exact same standard every game. Admittedly those 2 away genes were very poor, but every team has very poor games.

Have we ?

Ive had it wrong then - I’ve been calling it Jekyll and Hyde , even ‘in game’ let alone game to game

As for your query

No - I have no understanding of the game anywhere else , or in general

(Ohhhh and you seem to have missed the point about the nature of the last two performances or the reasons why )

The word 'progress' seems to have been mentioned a lot in this thread. 

There is no doubt that progress off the field of play has been very solid. On the field it has and is much more of a fits and starts nature; that is what I am seeing anyway these past 3 seasons under LJ. I suppose if experts analysed it they would come back and say LJ is still ahead of where he was last season and the season before that. Even if that is the case should such mind numbingly slow increments be satisfactory? Just asking the question in such a way, not judging.

8 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

I have absolutely no recolection of saying that. But I do remember us being light in numbers as a squad at the time. So the statement, whether said or not, wasn't totally wrong.

My post was about perspective on expectations this season. Not whether we had a strong squad going into the cup game against united. 

No worries mate, I’d have ‘no recollection’ if I’d bigged up Leko and Woodrow like you did - your post about saying we’d look ‘so frail’ against Man Yoo without Leko and Woodrow is below - have a look at post #17 below....

16 hours ago, havanatopia said:

The word 'progress' seems to have been mentioned a lot in this thread. 

There is no doubt that progress off the field of play has been very solid. On the field it has and is much more of a fits and starts nature; that is what I am seeing anyway these past 3 seasons under LJ. I suppose if experts analysed it they would come back and say LJ is still ahead of where he was last season and the season before that. Even if that is the case should such mind numbingly slow increments be satisfactory? Just asking the question in such a way, not judging.

That’s exactly it....fits and starts....but with a gradual improvement.  Those fits and starts happen game to fame, but also in game too.  Will that gradual improvement get us into the top 6 in time.  Dunno.  Said to @Beni71 we’d finish 6-16th at start of season.

We are doing alright though.

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No worries mate, I’d have ‘no recollection’ if I’d bigged up Leko and Woodrow like you did - your post about saying we’d look ‘so frail’ against Man Yoo without Leko and Woodrow is below - have a look at post #17 below....

Wow! What a sad life you really live! 

And as I said above, that statement was referring to the injuries at the time and how frail our squad looked at the time in terms of numbers. I don't see myself bigging anyone up in particular. 

12 minutes ago, Tiree said:

I really like this post and would welcome a much more balanced Forum which would then attract a much larger number of fair-minded City fans rather than so many of the current posters. Its easy to excuse this forum as just being negative so and sos who dont go to matches and in fact that is not true. Most good posts start with the confirmation the poster has just been to the game and comments as follows; Ole is certainly one who describes the games close to all those i attend. 

I suppose the red spotters will be out in force if we dont win tomorrow and, IMO it will be a score draw. Lets see

I guess a few more armchair fans are getting to see City via the red button but your comment stands. 

On BBC Radio Bristol post match phone in the other week (Blackburn) some fella phone up and gave a very different opinion to the other callers (regular AG attendees as far as I can tell) and my own. Said Pack was “bluddy bwilliant what a player”, yet Pack had an awful 1st half, even if better second half.

Then he said he’d listened on the radio. ? 

Going back to the original point about the 'forum' and meltdowns !

Correct to some degree as in past  there have been one or two occasions with bluster and hot air  on forum about getting LJ sacked, and banners, and coming in late and demonstrating about this and that, and  guess what, it never happens !  The 'forum' perhaps does not represent perhaps the majority of the fan base  who most likely do not even visit this site, but this can never really be proved either way.

That said I enjoy lurking on other fans forums to 'peep in' and see whats happening. Now the Villa one, as an example,  has been quite entertaining watching as they went into 'Meltdown over Bruce', yet when they were marching towards Wembley for the playoff final last season it was all love and roses.  It is the nature of what it is.   As Mick McCarthy once said as a manager you are either a 'champ or a Chump' .    Perhaps the same can be said of us keyboard warriors. 

17 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Wow! What a sad life you really live! 

And as I said above, that statement was referring to the injuries at the time and how frail our squad looked at the time in terms of numbers. I don't see myself bigging anyone up in particular. 

And, in essence, a statement many have repeated, at the time and since. Great though the cup run was, it took a lot out of us and had a detrimental impact on the rest of the league season. 

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:03, ForeverRes said:

Why after every loss do we go into an utterly embarrassing meltdown. We've played very poorly in 2 away games this year, granted. But in the other 9 we've been decent for large parts, and very good at times too.

We lost £24 million worth of quality in the summer and here we are 1 point off the play offs.

Im seeing things like Famara is our worst signing ever... a bloke who scored 13 goals last year after having 3 and a half months out injured! 

A lot of our fan base need to get a grip. There is absolutely no sense of perspective. When you consider everything about the club, what gives us the right to be anywhere near the play offs.

Wage bill, money spent, attendances, players are all average/ mid table for the championship... yet everyone expects so much more. Why? Because we beat a 2nd string Man United team in the tinpot cup? Grow up 

Exhibit One: OTIB today. I rest my case, m'lud. (Well, ForeverRes's case anyway)

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nothing to worry about

only one game

move along ....

Exactly! What are these people seeing?! Perhaps they just watched in on the ‘red button’ rather than being there...different perspective entirely...today was another very worrying performance, but let’s just sweep it under that carpet....

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Exactly! What are these people seeing?! Perhaps they just watched in on the ‘red button’ rather than being there...different perspective entirely...today was another very worrying performance, but let’s just sweep it under that carpet....

I’ll go as far to say Weds were as poor as I’ve seen at AG this season with Villa as their main competitors

Ignore the names or league positions they Weds (I was very surprised) looked frail and tentative , were completely there for the taking and did their very best to help us , as if they were disinterested and / or fearful of us

You could see them thinking , actually these are poor and even then needed us to gift them the Game 

Bewildering

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’ll go as far to say Weds were as poor as I’ve seen at AG this season with Villa as their main competitors

Ignore the names or league positions they Weds (I was very surprised) looked frail and tentative , were completely there for the taking and did their very best to help us , as if they were disinterested and / or fearful of us

You could see them thinking , actually these are poor and even then needed us to gift them the Game 

Bewildering

I wouldn’t disagree with that Bob - they certainly weren’t a team to be scared of...apart from Bannan and their number 7 I thought they were pretty average....but they were still better than us....

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So you think we played well today then? Nothing there to concern you? 

Just have a read of the match day thread. In the space of 2 hours it goes from

- decent line up, sensible changes, through

- much better performance, positive, decent football, to

- dire, awful, xx player is s**t, sack the manager.

Just the point the OP was making - that's all.

A month ago after Swansea, WBA, we were a great side, now we're relegation certs?

I try not to be concerned by a single match, or even a run of two or three matches, again, the point the OP was making. FWIW though, I thought we played pretty well first half. Wednesday are no mugs, coming off the back of draws v Leeds and West Brom and a win at Villa. The way we set ourselves up, with da silva giving us extra defensive cover, and trying to play through the middle, worked well. I was disappointed that we didn't match their determination to change things after the interval. 

My biggest concern is our growing injury list, and the fact that we seem to have had two seasons of this and that there might be something more than just bad luck about it. Kalas was a great signing and losing him particularly a massive blow. I also think we've not got too many goals in the side, and the last two games highlight that; no lack of chances, but an inability to put them away. Overall, I think we've got enough in there for a mid table finish. I thought we had enough depth to manage a few injuries but the sheer quantity is making me doubt that. 

We're 13th, pretty much where I'd expected after our summer. I don't see that as a reason for the sort of melt down we saw on Saturday.

Oh, and by the way, no I don't watch on the red button. I haven't got Sky. I watch nearly every game live, home and away. Just don't feel that makes me a 'super fan' or the need to have a forum name that announces that!

Archived