IGNORED

Sheffield Utd Wage Bill

Bristol Oil Services

20 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

17th out of 24. Source? Reporter on the BBC said so, just now. So must be true.

Doing well so far, on relatively modest wages, competing with the big spenders. As are Brentford. Be interesting to see if they - and we - can compete after Christmas, for longer than last season.  

What is the BBC’s source. The only available accounts are for 16/17 season where they were one of the lowest, mainly because they were in Lg1 and constrained by different FFP rules than in the Champ. 

The BBC guy is speculating only because only 1 club has put out their accounts for 17/18 yet. 

Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were in the bottom 8/10 teams last season. 

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is the BBC’s source. The only available accounts are for 16/17 season where they were one of the lowest, mainly because they were in Lg1 and constrained by different FFP rules than in the Champ. 

The BBC guy is speculating only because only 1 club has put out their accounts for 17/18 yet. 

Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were in the bottom 8/10 teams last season. 

I would be disappointed if we are in the top half of that table, we dont have the quality to be paying top half wages. 

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

I would be disappointed if we are in the top half of that table, we dont have the quality to be paying top half wages. 

I think our likely £18m Loss tells us that our wage bill has had a significant increase!!!  Reckon we’ve gone from 17th/18th in 16/17 to mid-table is not a smidge higher. 

Just wondering if City have fallen in to the trap of paying 'a fair wage plus' meaning the better players are beyond us, but the demands from hungry players who want to play at this level are deemed too high l, given what we might be paying other players who have yet to set the world alight.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think our likely £18m Loss tells us that our wage bill has had a significant increase!!!  Reckon we’ve gone from 17th/18th in 16/17 to mid-table is not a smidge higher. 

Mid-table wouldn't be bad, I believe we are a mid-table team so paying mid-table wages is acceptable.

That leads to the next question, some other clubs are able to play above themselves in terms of wages (Rotherham getting to this league plus Preston and Brentford seem to be consistently better than us with lower resources) Blackpool have been to the Prem, Yeovil, Scunthorpe and Burton have played in this league so when will weget that season when we play above ourselves? 

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Mid-table wouldn't be bad, I believe we are a mid-table team so paying mid-table wages is acceptable.

That leads to the next question, some other clubs are able to play above themselves in terms of wages (Rotherham getting to this league plus Preston and Brentford seem to be consistently better than us with lower resources) Blackpool have been to the Prem, Yeovil, Scunthorpe and Burton have played in this league so when will weget that season when we play above ourselves? 

Yep, all about context of comparison. Take away the parachute clubs and it looks different again. 

Agree that it would be nice if we were the club that is always “punching above its weight”. In some respects we are, or were last season for long parts. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, all about context of comparison. Take away the parachute clubs and it looks different again. 

Agree that it would be nice if we were the club that is always “punching above its weight”. In some respects we are, or were last season for long parts. 

Even the clubs that we say are punching above their weight I think have expiration dates. Maybe apart from Brentford who we strive to be like. That said we now have seen what a decent season can do to clubs like us or Brentford. That is the sale of star players and a need to replace them. 

Think others like Sheff U, Preston, Millwall and Rotherham all can have a run of 2-3 good seasons but if not promoted come back to reality. I am more familiar with Sheff U squad so as an example, they are playing out of their skins. You have to applaud them for that but where are they next season if not promoted? Many key players are coming to the end of the primes and their couple young players will catch the eye of bigger clubs. They could easily be in a situation where Fleck and O’Connell move to bigger clubs, their loans go back and their 3 best players left are in their 30s. Could easily slip back into L1 if not careful. 

I don’t see that with us. With our squad there always seems to be some optimism. Whether that is recruiting exciting young players like Eliasson, Eisa and Adelakun. Or seeing improvement in past buys like O’Dowda and Brownhill. Or the possibility of more young players coming through the academy. We always seem to have good options where I don’t always see that with other clubs. Even if it feels we should be better than some clubs or feels others have overtaken us, I fancy us long term more than most. There will always be a couple sides that everything comes together at the right time. Millwall was that last season. Looks like Sheff U could be this season. I think we will have our time soon. 

49 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Even the clubs that we say are punching above their weight I think have expiration dates. Maybe apart from Brentford who we strive to be like. That said we now have seen what a decent season can do to clubs like us or Brentford. That is the sale of star players and a need to replace them. 

Think others like Sheff U, Preston, Millwall and Rotherham all can have a run of 2-3 good seasons but if not promoted come back to reality. I am more familiar with Sheff U squad so as an example, they are playing out of their skins. You have to applaud them for that but where are they next season if not promoted? Many key players are coming to the end of the primes and their couple young players will catch the eye of bigger clubs. They could easily be in a situation where Fleck and O’Connell move to bigger clubs, their loans go back and their 3 best players left are in their 30s. Could easily slip back into L1 if not careful. 

I don’t see that with us. With our squad there always seems to be some optimism. Whether that is recruiting exciting young players like Eliasson, Eisa and Adelakun. Or seeing improvement in past buys like O’Dowda and Brownhill. Or the possibility of more young players coming through the academy. We always seem to have good options where I don’t always see that with other clubs. Even if it feels we should be better than some clubs or feels others have overtaken us, I fancy us long term more than most. There will always be a couple sides that everything comes together at the right time. Millwall was that last season. Looks like Sheff U could be this season. I think we will have our time soon. 

It looks like Preston may be going to prove your point this season - they look like they are going to struggle a bit after three good years.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It looks like Preston may be going to prove your point this season - they look like they are going to struggle a bit after three good years.

Think it is a balance. Preston had bought quite well but were reluctant to sell. Now some player values may have gone down and you don’t see the assets there. Obviously still have players but may have limited their financial gains going forward. Which may limit the kind of players they can bring in later. 

Archived