IGNORED

Dean Smith

BCFC1512

22 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Can't imagine for 1 second he asked for JT as his assistant. Deserves a chance with a bigger club though, been very impressive with Brentford.

He has been very successful using the "moneyball system" it will be interesting if he can deal with the bigger egos and larger salaried and I don't just mean on the pitch.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Done a good / decent job at Brentford

But so did Warburton

Will be interesting

Bit of a gamble for Smith who was sitting pretty at Brentford, but he’s a Villa fan so guess it’s no surprise

John Terry though is a John Terry fan

Can't blame him as he's a Villa fan and I'm sure he will be earning extremely more than he was at Brentford but I can't for the life of me help but wonder whether this is a bad move for him, I just don't think it will be the right fit. 

I'm certain he would have eventually got Brentford to the premier League, what I'm also certain of is if he don't get Villa to at least the play offs he will be sacked.

7 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Dean will need to now watch his back....didn't J T get in Abramovitch's ear and get one of the Chelsea managers sacked?.  JT - good player though he was - is an arrogant entitled nob who will think nothing of maneouving Smith aside when he thinks he's ready

Do you know John Terry personally then?

54 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Can't blame him as he's a Villa fan and I'm sure he will be earning extremely more than he was at Brentford but I can't for the life of me help but wonder whether this is a bad move for him, I just don't think it will be the right fit. 

I'm certain he would have eventually got Brentford to the premier League, what I'm also certain of is if he don't get Villa to at least the play offs he will be sacked.

Yeah I agree big step up from a job where he was overachieving to one that if he doesn’t win for 2 games the knives will be out.

will actually now see if he is as good as many think he is.

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He has been very successful using the "moneyball system" it will be interesting if he can deal with the bigger egos and larger salaried and I don't just mean on the pitch.

Yep have to agree with this, huge difference between managing the Brentford group of players, who seem to be a tight team, and a group of players in it for individual glory like the Villa lot. I can't see John Terry's personality helping with that situation either.

Weight of expectations will be huge and immediate, could be a poison chalice for Dean Smith. Wot a shame ?

8 hours ago, hodge said:

Assistant manager John Terry's Aston Villa?

That was my first thought, the media will be looking to speak to him rather than the Manager. That’s quite an uneven footing from the start. Very odd move for him to move from Brentford, a very different set up and set of pressures and expectation, will he make it past Xmas.

Edit: I didn’t realise he was a Villa fan, so that makes a little more sense how easily he was persuaded. Not sure if being a fan will be a help or a hinderance in situations like this though. 

30 minutes ago, RedM said:

That was my first thought, the media will be looking to speak to him rather than the Manager. That’s quite an uneven footing from the start. Very odd move for him to move from Brentford, a very different set up and set of pressures and expectation, will he make it past Xmas.

Edit: I didn’t realise he was a Villa fan, so that makes a little more sense how easily he was persuaded. Not sure if being a fan will be a help or a hinderance in situations like this though. 

Big fan apparently. Might be a good fit if he’s not that keen on the media bit, Terry does like the spotlight.

Archived