IGNORED

Hull referee - question for qualified referees

NickJ

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Stopped play with their player on the floor pointing to his leg.

We didn't put the ball out.

Ref stopped play.

Is that a bad mistake contrary to the rules by the ref?

I think it was a mistake - isn`t it only head injuries that he`s supposed to stop it for (other than something obvious like a broken leg). As far as I know, he should have played on until the ball went dead. If he`s going to stop the game like he did tonight players will just go down whenever they feel like it to get play stopped.

The unwritten rule in this country seems to be head injuries, but in fact it’s any serious injury or incident which requires immediate attention.

Because serious injury is something which can be debated from opinion to opinion, it’s basically down to the referee to use common sense on when to stop play. 

Linesman was awful (as they mostly are) stand there shaking like a leaf waiting for the ref to make a call then point there flag the way the ref does ?  gave Fammy offside when clearly 5 yards on , resulting in lj giving Fammy a rollicking

Poor bloke.

Glad that he scored the winner I would say it shut the ***** up behind me (w17) who gave him greif all game however they left at 85 mins so missed it ....

Stopping play totally boils my ####. There is no need to rush a physio on to put a consoling hand on an injured player's shoulder or mop his brow with a sponge.  It's not like he carries a field operating kit. Truth is a physio can deliver eff all treatment to an injured player of any medical value unless he is unconscious or carrying a broken neck. You may as well send the player's mum on if he is in need of sympathy or got a hurty something.

Man up, play on, shut up ref.

1 hour ago, Vespa Red said:

Also missed a clear elbow by their no 35 against Brownhill with 10 minutes left.  The linesman seemed intimidated by him (35) all of the second half

I noticed this...Elphick was shouting all night at him....all pally pally stuff. Im convinced that helped get them a couple of offsides that were nowhere near....

2 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Stopping play totally boils my ####. There is no need to rush a physio on to put a consoling hand on an injured player's shoulder or mop his brow with a sponge.  It's not like he carries a field operating kit. Truth is a physio can deliver eff all treatment to an injured player of any medical value unless he is unconscious or carrying a broken neck. You may as well send the player's mum on if he is in need of sympathy or got a hurty something.

Man up, play on, shut up ref.

I have been saying for awhile if a player needs the physio then he should not be able to come back on the pitch. Some exceptions like cleaning up a cut or checking for concussion. Other than that though should have to go off imo. 

3 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Biggest bunch of timewasters seen for ages. Loved how they were desperate to hurry things up after they conceded. 

Atkins was whining at the 4th official when 7 minutes went up at the end. Given that both sides made 3 subs and there were 2 stoppages of at least a couple of minutes each for injuries to their players, I don't see what he had to complain about.

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Atkins was whining at the 4th official when 7 minutes went up at the end. Given that both sides made 3 subs and there were 2 stoppages of at least a couple of minutes each for injuries to their players, I don't see what he had to complain about.

Presumably having to go back to Hull was one of the major gripes. 

There are some refs you notice and some you don’t. Last night, I certainly noticed him. And that isn’t a positive thing for refs. 

As for the incident. Play should not have stopped. But once it has done, it’s the restart that annoys me. Why couldn’t we just start with the ball where it was stopped. Hunt has it wide right and was looking to play forwards. Instead, their bloke kicks it out for a throw and Atkins & staff all gesture to squeeze up and force us back from the throw. 

By all means stop the play if you really have to, but start it again from where it was stopped. 

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

Ref stopped play.

That player was Todd Kane who played a few games for us and Is loaned out by Chelsea to different teams every season.

The thing with the added time was that most of the seven minutes was added due to their time wasting, as the ref pointed to his watch several times to indicate he was adding time on. Then we score in the second minute of the seven, and they are then given five long minutes to get an equaliser when it was meant to be a punishment of sorts. I would love the ref , in those circumstances , to blow up after about three minutes and just say, tough.

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

Ref stopped play.

Considering he got up soon after the trainer came on then the ref was wrong!

Not a head injury, not a serious leg injury whether broken or damaged ligaments.

it was obvious they were trying to slow the game down and stop is getting any momentum 

Ref was letting them waste time and it bit them in the ass in the end!!

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

Ref stopped play.

I believe the player went down and then the ball went out of play. Play carried on with player down as ref didnt notice him. He therefore must have felt it fair to stop play as he should have stopped it when it did actually go out (our throw in)

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

That and it didn’t matter. 3rd minute winner and that would have been the minimum as all subs made. 6 was fair 7 surprised a bit but were a couple injury stoppages

Players have been instructed to play to the whistle and not to put the ball out of play. The injured players' team mates can obviously put it out if they choose, but there is no obligation for the opposition to do so, and they shouldn't.

Refs. have been told to only stop play for a head injury or what appears a definite serious injury (very few and far between) so stopping the game last night was not only a mistake by the ref. but contrary to instructions laid down by football's governing bodies.

Extremely irritating but the cacophony of noise and boos coming from the stands last night, mostly insisting they should 'play on' may be misinterpreted on the pitch as noise alerting the players to stop the play and the ref may then feel the injury might be more serious than he had initially evaluated, and stop play to be on the safe side.

Either way, very annoying last night, yet again.

5 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Linesman was awful (as they mostly are) stand there shaking like a leaf waiting for the ref to make a call then point there flag the way the ref does ?  gave Fammy offside when clearly 5 yards on , resulting in lj giving Fammy a rollicking

Poor bloke.

Glad that he scored the winner I would say it shut the ***** up behind me (w17) who gave him greif all game however they left at 85 mins so missed it ....

The two times in the second half that Famara was given offside and the crowd were up in arms, the decisions were correct. He was offside, and the runs were poor. I was sat right along the line of sight.

11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think it was a mistake - isn`t it only head injuries that he`s supposed to stop it for (other than something obvious like a broken leg). As far as I know, he should have played on until the ball went dead. If he`s going to stop the game like he did tonight players will just go down whenever they feel like it to get play stopped.

I don't blame the referee in these scenarios.  If a player goes down pointing to his leg, how can he be expected to know instantly whether he's just broken his leg in four places, or chipped a toe nail.  If it was our player, it turned out to be serious, and the referee had let play continue, imagine the grief he would have got.

It's the players responsibility to react in a way that is proportionate to the injury so the referee can more reliably make the right decision.  In other words, if you can get up, get up. 

The overreaction to injuries is one of the most common complaints of non-football fans, and it's difficult to argue against at times, because it is indeed an embarassment for the game.

The players put the ref in a difficult situation. If he plays on and the player is seriously injured the he will be criticised for failing in his care of duty. If he stops the game and the player just gets up he's criticised for stop play by the opposition.

The rules have to help stop the faining of injury, what about, unless it's caused by a foul, the player who causes play to be stopped must go off for 5 mins recovery that way you would only go down if you were injured. Or restart play with the team that had the ball rather than the opposition kicking it out.

3 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

The two times in the second half that Famara was given offside and the crowd were up in arms, the decisions were correct. He was offside, and the runs were poor. I was sat right along the line of sight.

First one yes second one when he was out wide no chance coxy27 , also was sat along the line of sight , therefore his runs were not that poor ...

Archived