IGNORED

Preston - Pre-Match Presser

Davefevs

Just seen the video from GMcG’s interview on BP website.

The soundbites that the OS put out bear no resemblance to this interview.  Does LJ do a separate interview for the club?  I believe the City guy was the guy who asked the questions in the final 3 minutes of Gregor’s interview!

Here’s my summary of the 19 minutes:

Quite pleased with Reading.

Disappointed with result.

Made them look very average with our quality build-up.

Created a lot of chances - keeper was man of the match.

That was not the game I watched on a stream, wonder what Clement’s reaction would be!

Can our finishing be better / xG shows performing well.

New team, don’t forget, new team...we’ll go on another run of wins.

Let’s hope so.  Bold statement in this division.

Master of language (head coach needs to be), or it can sound like excuses.  Referees give feedback on their key-match decisions if club provide video footage.  Had 3 key decisions go against us in last 3 games.  There is a secret “justice league” but hopefully it evens itself out over a season.  Not published til end of season.  Also helps coach things like offsides, in terms of how the ref will treat decisions.

Very competitive in the division, matter of time before we put a run together.

Again!

Hunt had an injury sustained on Wednesday before the game (Rib).  Stretched it during game during a sliding tackle.  Okay now.

Hakeeb in the mix potentially as 15 minute impact.  Lungs not ready.

Wright - no, not trained

Frankie - no, slow recovery 

Not asked about Hegeler, but he is injured again.

Korey - right thing to offer contract, not sure if the club has an option.  Extension is more financial security, doesn’t need to chase getting fit and then can look to earn new contract when fit

Taylor - has an option

Callum - been discussing for a while, want to nail down asap.....great potential, but not hit heights of pre-injury.  No-one believes in him more than me.

Can be difficult to have too many players, can’t keep everyone sweet.

This may be a big test of his man-management.

Preston - bogey team, likes their midfield, had Pearson before.  One of the best midfields!  6 unbeaten because they’ve got players fit. 

Re midfield, let’s see if he does anything to counteract it, although in some respects i’d like to see them worry about us rather than other way around.

Recruit well (British), know their market.

No mention of ours.

Scouting - no cup, so can see those out on loan.  Went to Weston to see 4 of our players.

Finances - massive respect from SL backing.  Tough, expensive division.  Next year’s results will better because of player sales.  Potential income from future sales of young players making the grade isn’t thought about.

Had we won Saturday, position would be closer to where he thinks we are.  It’s an adjustment and an improvement (emphasised this) on last season. 

Suggests expectations are that we should be higher....but in fairness we are perhaps one game / 3 points behind where he sees us.

Different strengths, want to be more direct at times, but catch 22 because we have such quality at the back.  Need to create more box action.  Purer chances created this season.  Need to be cleaner in our finishing.

So, does that mean a conflict of priorities in recruitment?  He does explain that he doesn’t want his defenders to play percentage passes, but my take is that Diedhiou fits the style he wants to play but he’s got defenders in to play a different style.

3 hours ago, kivsy said:

with our record against preston, im lumping on the whites, what price can i get out there ? 

If only there were websites that could give you such information, instead of needing to track down to the high street bookies, or look it up on ceefax..! 

It took 4 Button presses to tell me that Paddy Power will give you 3.75/1 on a Preston win, by the way. 

24 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

If only there were websites that could give you such information, instead of needing to track down to the high street bookies, or look it up on ceefax..! 

It took 4 Burton presses to tell me that Paddy Power will give you 3.75/1 on a Preston win, by the way. 

Ah, Clough Jr’s new twist on the gegenpress?

Extraman needed in midfield on Saturday, Lee.  Walshy and Pacman in the middle and drop Snakey and Dildo to the bench with Andi as a false No. 9.

Treat them as if we were playing Man C or Man U and bring on the forwards only if we need to or are 4 - 0 up (still not confident that we can hold a 3 goal lead with less than 15 minutes to go ?).

16 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Extraman needed in midfield on Saturday, Lee.  Walshy and Pacman in the middle and drop Snakey and Dildo to the bench with Andi as a false No. 9.

Treat them as if we were playing Man C or Man U and bring on the forwards only if we need to or are 4 - 0 up (still not confident that we can hold a 3 goal lead with less than 15 minutes to go ?).

Snakey & Dildo......made me laugh!

Bit part players??....

Archived