IGNORED

Purple & Green Kit

LOYAL CITY

I was talking with some Leeds fans after the game today and they all couldn't believe how awful our Purple & Green kit is, one actually thought it to be one of the worst choice of colours he has ever seen. Personally I think maybe 2nd worst after Coventry's brown kit!

For me I think we should be wearing Red shirts with black shorts if white shorts clashes with teams that have home kits that include white. We used to do this in the late 70's and early 80's and that's our history which I believe we should honour and be proud of despite how painful some of it is. There has been a lot of recent comments by the club about creating a culture and identity, surely there is no stronger identity of City than wearing our red shirts and we should be doing this at every opportunity.

Final point, singing 'Come on you Reds' today when wearing Purple & Green doesn't seem right.

You're so wrong.  I imagine you're under 40?  Although reading your post maybe not.

And how does singing COYR work better than when we're wearing white rather than purple and lime?

Purple and lime is our recent identity, it makes us stand out, who gives a **** what Leeds supporters think?

12 minutes ago, RumRed said:

You're so wrong.  I imagine you're under 40?  Although reading your post maybe not.

And how does singing COYR work better than when we're wearing white rather than purple and lime?

Purple and lime is our recent identity, it makes us stand out, who gives a **** what Leeds supporters think?

Exactly what I was about to write.

51 minutes ago, LOYAL CITY said:

I was talking with some Leeds fans after the game today and they all couldn't believe how awful our Purple & Green kit is, one actually thought it to be one of the worst choice of colours he has ever seen. Personally I think maybe 2nd worst after Coventry's brown kit!

For me I think we should be wearing Red shirts with black shorts if white shorts clashes with teams that have home kits that include white. We used to do this in the late 70's and early 80's and that's our history which I believe we should honour and be proud of despite how painful some of it is. There has been a lot of recent comments by the club about creating a culture and identity, surely there is no stronger identity of City than wearing our red shirts and we should be doing this at every opportunity.

Final point, singing 'Come on you Reds' today when wearing Purple & Green doesn't seem right.

I would suggest there are bigger problems then the colour of our kit and as said above who cares what Leeds fans think when they openly sing about a plane crash

Just goes to show though how quickly something can become a clubs identity, associated with the club or even a tradition. I remember seeing us play in that it for the first time and hating it (still do) but you cannot deny that for many younger fans it's a large part of our history that has been around ever since they have supported us,.

9 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Just goes to show though how quickly something can become a clubs identity, associated with the club or even a tradition. I remember seeing us play in that it for the first time and hating it (still do) but you cannot deny that for many younger fans it's a large part of our history that has been around ever since they have supported us,.

They're not young anymore, when did we first have it?

I remember wearing my P&L scarf into school (in Essex) after that Liverpool game and I'm now 42.  That's a sizeable chunk of our history

8 minutes ago, RumRed said:

They're not young anymore, when did we first have it?

To be fair my first time with us wearing it was in 14/15 and that was with me  mid 20's, I wouldn't want us to stray from that colour scheme as it makes us unique in that respect.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

To be fair my first time with us wearing it was in 14/15 and that was with me  mid 20's, I wouldn't want us to stray from that colour scheme as it makes us unique in that respect.

I love the P&L and what it means to us, but for someone to call it out as a 'recent thing' pisses me off.

Depends on age I guess but as someone in their 40's I have happy memories.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

I love the P&L and what it means to us, but for someone to call it out as a 'recent thing' pisses me off.

Depends on age I guess but as someone in their 40's I have happy memories.

Yeah I totally get that, just pointing out how many 'younger' fans would have been caught on for it as part of our identity. I had a good 7/8 years before we brought back the purple and lime yet still wouldn't want us to move away form it again.

Black or red shorts with red shirts would have been an obvious option, apart from one thing - money. City, along with all other clubs, try to maximise sales of second and third kits by wearing them as often as possible. That’s demonstrated by teams who play at Ashton Gate in an away kit for obvious reason. 

PS - I love the purple and green kit an would be happy if City wore it for every match. 

Love the purple and lime colours...just not the design...it's bloody awful.

I know this doesn't make any sense...but I said to a mate...'it reminds me of the monstrosity of a kit  we had with black chest and shoulders in 2012....you watch, we'll have a crap season like then :laugh:'

It's supposed to be a nod to the 'Hirerite' kit of 1987. What the 'designer' got wrong...is the white band should be lower with 'Dunder' in red through the band and the crest above.

Just keep the bloody kit simple and classy...some people just got to keep tampering.

23 minutes ago, Kevin Brady said:

This thread is like tending to your hardy perennials whilst your house is burning down !!

I really don't give a fu** what we are wearing at the moment. I would be happy with a Mankini so long as the football improves

'Tending to your hardy perennials' maybe my new favourite euphemism. ?

1 hour ago, foghornred said:

Love the Purple & Green think that it should always be our second strip, it stands out and does not clash with any other colours 

Except when/if we play Crystal Palace. When the P and L made its first season appearance, a special third strip was made for our visit to Selhurst Park. They reversed the colours ie we wore a Green top and purple shorts. I remember the game more for the fact that the weather that night was cold and it rained. 

I LOVE the purple and lime revival personally, BUT for me the purple and lime kit should always be associated with great moments in our history, or particularly memorable seasons. For example, the Liverpool 93/94 game, our 14/15 promotion season... 

I really don't want to see the P&L kit ever associated with a rubbish side, as it looks like it is going to be this season! Will have to hope for a giant killing in the FA cup to redeem it... otherwise I think we need to take a short break from it to restore its special status. Yellow and green for next season if we are in L1 please...!

Archived