IGNORED

Birmingham Away Sales (Merged)

Never to the dark side

On 29/11/2018 at 04:03, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

To be fair Small Heath and Bordesley are both shit holes, and guess where St Andrews is smack bang in the middle of !!

My brother used to live in Small Heath. Shithole is a perfect description. The Reggae at three in the morning was rarely welcome!

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Never been before. Gonna go Saturday, looking forward to it. Is there an unofficial away pub?

The official away pub is about 2 mins outside the away end, just past the Morrisons, sure someone can confirm the name. If you drink cider I wouldn’t go there though, it’s £4 for a shit bottle that you could get in the Morrisons next to it for a quid.

• Admin

From football ground guide 

There are not many pubs located near to St Andrews and what ones there are quite intimidating for away supporters and are not recommended. However, there is the Cricketers Arms which does tolerate away fans in small numbers. Simon a visiting Chelsea fan confirms; 'On our last visit to St Andrews, we managed to find a friendly pub within proximity of the ground. The pub is called The Cricketers Arms and is about 10 minutes walk, maybe less. To find the pub (with your back to the away section) walk along the road ahead of you going away from the ground (not the road going right up by the stadium, but the road going towards Morrisons). Walk through Morrisons car park heading towards the store then join the road next to it, which is called Green Lane. The pub is 30 seconds from there on the left. The pub itself is shared between home and away fans but all the Birmingham fans were very friendly. The pub is small but you can drink outside where there are beer tables'.

It is best to drink in the city centre and get a taxi to the ground (about £9). If you are walking to the ground from the city centre, then  you may care to stop at the Anchor Pub on Bradford Street, renowned for its range of real ales on offer. Although there are a number of Blues fans that frequent the pub they tend to be of the CAMRA bearded variety and therefore as long as you don't turn up mobbed handed, you should be okay. The pub is situated just behind Birmingham Coach Station. Going on further towards the ground then you are likely to pass the Old Crown, on Digbeth High Street, which apart from being Birmingham's oldest building, is also a pub which normally allows in away fans. Also in the same area is the DigBrew Company who are based on River Street (B5 5SA) and are open on Saturdays from 12noon. This brewery which is located in an old industrial unit has a bar inside and is welcoming to visiting supporters. Although basic inside, the beer (both real ale and craft) is good and the brewery is around a 15 minute walk away from the visitor's turnstiles (going in the general direction of the city centre)

If you coming by train, or decide to drink in the city centre beforehand, then if you like your real ale, then you can't do much better tha visiting the Wellington Pub on Bennetts Hill. With 16 real ales on tap, including 12 guest ales, this is somewhat of a mecca for real ale drinkers. To find this pub, then assuming that you are coming into New Street Station by train, then as you come onto the passenger concourse at the station, so straight up the escalators in front of you. At the top of the escalators turn left and then proceed towards the 'Foot Locker' outlet. Turn left at this store and then right and proceed down the ramp past McDonalds. At the bottom of the ramp turn left into New Street and walk along the pedestrian area. Bennetts Hill is the fourth turning on the right (there is a Barclays Bank is on the corner). The Wellington pub is about two thirds of the way up Bennetts Hill on the right hand side. Also on Bennetts Hill there is the 'Sun On The Hill' pub, which also shows televised sports and there is a Wetherspoons Pub called the Briar Rose, which normally admits visiting fans as long as no colours are shown. The Wellington does not provide food, but has no objections to you bringing in your own. There are a couple of taxi ranks nearby that you can use if you wish to get you to the St Andrews ground. You can get more info on the Wellington pub website, including a live 'beer board' showing which ales they are currently serving. Just outside the main entrance to Birmingham New Street Station, is the Shakespeare pub, which is also popular with visiting supporters (normally under the watchful eye of the local Constabulary). Frequented not only those on their way to St Andrews, but those on their way to the Hawthorns, as West Brom normally play their Saturday home games on the same day as Birmingham City.

Alcohol is normally made available to away fans inside the ground in the form of John Smith’s Bitter or Fosters Lager (£3.80 per pint), as well as Bottles of Bulmers Cider (£3.60) and Wine (£3.90). However for certain high profile fixtures the Club opts not to sell any.

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

1,000 sold just proves how shite it currently is.

We should be taking closer 2k

We should have sold out by now and be asking for more tickets . This is such a huge statement of our current predicament & performance  the fact we’ve not sold more . 

Remember when I drove in once from Tamworth to collect my then wife from work in the City Centre. Had our retriever puppy in the back on one of her first excursions in the car. Somewhat predictably the dog threw up in the back so pulled off the main road to a side street to clear up the mess.

While I was opening the tailgate, a prositute opened the passenger door and climbed in. Didn’t want to get out, so drove her to the City Centre.

No, the ex wife wouldn’t believe me either... but it’s true!

Sums the place up. That said, cracking people generally, with a superb sense of humour. 

On 29/11/2018 at 22:45, swampy said:

Saw City there maybe before you were born.  Locals told me to stand on newspaper to keep my feet warm ... some 'shithole' areas this way if you were honest ... Knowle West, Hartcliffe, Trowbridge (where I live :laugh:) ... that last one is a joke ... 

Oi leave trowvegas out of this ?

10 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Remember when I drove in once from Tamworth to collect my then wife from work in the City Centre. Had our retriever puppy in the back on one of her first excursions in the car. Somewhat predictably the dog threw up in the back so pulled off the main road to a side street to clear up the mess.

While I was opening the tailgate, a prositute opened the passenger door and climbed in. Didn’t want to get out, so drove her to the City Centre.

No, the ex wife wouldn’t believe me either... but it’s true!

Sums the place up. That said, cracking people generally, with a superb sense of humour. 

That concludes my defence M'lud.

9 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Behave yourself. Drunk around New Street in a few pubs and never had any bother. It’s Birmingham City not Boca Juniors. Fear not @Shtanley

I didn't say you'd get any bother around new street that's miles from the ground. Pubs near the ground have been pretty hostile in my experience. 

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Agreed, loads of very good pubs in Brum 

What about the Garrison pub? The area around this pub is where the TV series Peaky Blinders is set, although it is not actually filmed there.

But if you do go there, watch out for shifty looking men wearing peaked caps!

I've been to St Andrews at least seven/eight times. First in 1951, lost 2-0 FA Cup. Usually a 3 or 4-0 stuffing especially when Trevor Francis was there. Except for that wonderful day when Bob "God" Taylor led a 4-0 vengeance win.

Can't see anything but the usual dismal defeat this time.

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I didn't say you'd get any bother around new street that's miles from the ground. Pubs near the ground have been pretty hostile in my experience. 

Birmingham City is not for the faint hearted in my experience. Of the 80 odd grounds I've been too I would put it just behind the Old Den, New Den and Ninian Park as the most intimidating. I'd possibly throw the Old Vetch into the mix also.

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I understood the point you were making - of course New Street is safe as houses it's a bloody shopping centre round there these days and all of the centre is very pleasant since they bulldozed the market and all the underpasses (I was at uni there when it was still a dump). Not sure why anyone read your point as being about the centre of town.

But head through Digbeth and the Irish pubs and the others up near the ground can be very mouthy. In my experience Brum fans are always on a wind up around the ground, the younger ones especially, looking for an argument, and if you don't get it from them you will get it from WMP directly outside the away end who like to be total ****ers.

If people really want options "closer to the ground", The Woodman on Curzon Street is on the way and very good, in a pleasant pedestrianised area (if the weather is good), family type home fans in replica shirts, and quiet walk down Fazeley Street through back of Digbeth. Also Custard Factory en route in Digbeth good for full on hipster craft beer thing.

Archived