IGNORED

Then & now Championship grounds

22A

56 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Facilities 100% better 

Atmosphere 100% worse 

Guess it's mission accomplished for the modern football fan 

Nah, been to some proper sterile grounds with great atmosphere. Dynamo Dresden for one have a ground like Coventrys, a souless bowl we might say. Brilliant atmosphere. Whats killing the atmosphere is the higher ticket prices, lack of club support for an atmosphere, and the fans themselves for not getting involved. Sadly the latter is the most important. 

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Facilities 100% better 

Atmosphere 100% worse 

Think that’s probably more to do with what’s happening on the pitch at the moment, when AG is rocking the atmosphere is something else since the rebuild.

14 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Think that’s probably more to do with what’s happening on the pitch at the moment, when AG is rocking the atmosphere is something else since the rebuild.

That has only happened against the two Manc clubs, which was obvious given the extra, excited fans who came along for just those games.....the old Ashton Gate created a much better atmosphere...

The physical structure of the new build itself isn't what's causes the loss of atmosphere, it's the changing demographic of fan that it has attracted, coupled with the club's policies. We now have a large number of families, and casual fans who have relocated from other parts of the country and have latched onto City. I've even seen a lot more Asian and black faces than before at games.

Whilst it's wonderful to see such a diverse group of City fans, this has led to the hardcore being spread out more and dare I say it, marginalised by the club itself. They simply don't do enough to try and generate a good atmosphere. A small singing corner, at the opposite end to the away fans that is heavily regulated by stewards and police is not enough. Over the last couple of years we've heard stories of banners/flags being turned down for ridiculous reasons, people being told to sit down, and stewards that don't seem to even know that the area is unreserved seating.

We need a proper home "end" like the old east end.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Need to organise a real singing section. I think the entire top half of the south stand should be a singing section. 

Club don't want the bother. Easier to police the sort of person who sits politely and buys a cup of tea at half time rather than those boisterous oiks in the singing section.

Just now, TBW said:

Nice that they used a real photo of our stadium and not a digital artist's impression...

I see what they were trying to do but overall a horrible video...

The thens are from really random times, everything from about 100 years ago to relatively recent for ours and Birmingham. They could have at least found photos for then as pre-1950 or something for everyone! Then there's the whole computer image for our current stadium....

On 05/12/2018 at 23:34, BS4 on Tour... said:

That has only happened against the two Manc clubs, which was obvious given the extra, excited fans who came along for just those games.....the old Ashton Gate created a much better atmosphere...

Disagree. Poor atmosphere was a regular topic with the old AG but people forget. Atmosphere significantly better within new AG, just wait until the football improves.  

Interesting video!

Can you imagine showing supporters pictures of their new ground, back when they had the previous versions..! 

I didn’t realise how bizzare Bramall Lane used to look! I’m guessing that was so they could have cricket there..?

I love the sheer size of some of those old terraces. Always remember being at the back of terraces at Wolves & West Brom and thinking how big they were. Also at The valley, just after Charlton had moved back there and they still had the massive old terrace behind the new stand. It was the biggest terrace in England back in the day, I believe. 

Some good memories there and some surprises about how a few used to look as well. 

21 hours ago, Loon plage said:

He has funded the rebuild of his stadium for the use of two professional sports clubs in Bristol for which he deserves a lot of credit.

I think that’s a bit of a whoosh on your part. 

4 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Never been to Brentford away but the stadium looks pretty tidy to me, Barnsley on the other hand..

Brentford are moving to a new ground in 2019. 

Oakwell is a decent ground. 3 very tidy, quite large stands. One is quite old and really needs updating. Overall, Oakwell is far bigger & much nicer that Griffin Park, but Griffin Park is a better place to watch football because it’s so compact and always seems fuller. 

10 hours ago, O'Garlandinho said:

Disagree. Poor atmosphere was a regular topic with the old AG but people forget. Atmosphere significantly better within new AG, just wait until the football improves.  

I disagree too, the old, proper East End in unison with Dolman Block B and the Enclosure generated noise levels we haven’t experienced since...and we weren’t doing particularly well back then...

On 05/12/2018 at 20:43, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Facilities 100% better 

Atmosphere 100% worse 

The atmosphere being 'worse' as you describe it is very little to do with the stadium. I would actually argue that it isn't worse anyway.

The atmosphere wasn't that great at the old AG in recent times! You only have to look at the United game to see that the ground isn't the problem, that was a fantastic atmosphere.

Atmosphere at Ashton Gate has been changing slowly for a long, long time. There's more women going to games, more families (pushing family sections etc) and just generally the attitude of fans going to games isn't the same as it used to be.

Very poignant to see old grounds like Deepdale, Brunden Park, Molineux and think of the great players of the past - Finney, Loftus, Billy Wright, and many more - that played there in front of huge crowds. It was a very different time, when football really was the working man's game and players were little different from the fans on the terraces - stories of players catching the bus to games, along with fans.

The raft of new and re-developed stadia reflects the massive evolution in the game at the top end in the last 30 years, and that has accelerated since the advent of the premier league. While many won't like it, the genie is out of the bottle and can't be put back. 

Archived