IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda

BessexRED

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Even more likely then that he’ll be off

He hasn’t exactly dazzled the opposition in any games that I’ve seen.

Agree, he has to do a lot more than he showed me so far imho.  He’s had a 6 /7 game spell of true form in 2.5 seasons.  Admittedly not been given 6-8 games since injury....but you e got to earn it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in January as again he was a MA signing having his Oxford links.... most of the players he was involved with haven't really worked out and have moved on. One of my good friends is a massive Oxford fan and when we signed him he commented saying he has the potential but seems to just run down closed corridors and i think his replacements are aready in place.... just need to ship that Hegeler along aswell.. 

3 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in January as again he was a MA signing having his Oxford links.... most of the players he was involved with haven't really worked out and have moved on. One of my good friends is a massive Oxford fan and when we signed him he commented saying he has the potential but seems to just run down closed corridors and i think his replacements are aready in place.... just need to ship that Hegeler along aswell.. 

That isn’t a million miles off my view. 

I think he lacks a bit of composure in the cut and thrust of Championship football, especially in tight spaces.

I’ve not seen any RoI games to have a view as to whether he plays differently / better for them.

He’s 24 in April, and although it is easy to quote Reid as a late developer, not everyone can be one at City.

I do think there is ability in there.  Does he just need a run of games?  He’s shown flashes, but I'm not one who thinks he has been great in any game this season.  Still hope he does come good though.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That isn’t a million miles off my view. 

I think he lacks a bit of composure in the cut and thrust of Championship football, especially in tight spaces.

I’ve not seen any RoI games to have a view as to whether he plays differently / better for them.

He’s 24 in April, and although it is easy to quote Reid as a late developer, not everyone can be one at City.

I do think there is ability in there.  Does he just need a run of games?  He’s shown flashes, but I'm not one who thinks he has been great in any game this season.  Still hope he does come good though.

Do you think someone like Celtic might take him as a squad player ? Be a dream move for an Irish kid (footballing wise) and he would rip a new one against the majority of teams there in a dominant side when called upon.

I like him, and if I were LJ I'd offer him a contract.

I wouldn't offer it on potential. We've been saying "he has potential" since we bought him, and eventually you need to look at a player and decide that they are not the finished article. I can't see any big clubs picking him up on potential because he's 23, coming up to 24, and if they wanted to buy kids with potential they'd be looking at actual kids up to 19-20.

For us, right now, I think he's good enough. We could do better, but we'd be ******* morons to let him go on a free. IF he ends up going on a free to a bigger club or a division rival then LJ needs to answer for this, because he's let too many players go away on the cheap.

On 09/12/2018 at 07:03, JonDolman said:

Callum has massive potential. Just look at some games before that injury last season. Fulham away he was unplayable. Can't remember if it was Hull or Sunderland away we just got it to him every time as we fought back from behind. But since then he hasn't quite looked the same. His recent sub appearances suggest he is beginning to look like that player again. I really hope he signs a new deal, as he might end up a prem player. I believe bigger clubs will be chasing him. I certainly think he is a Pulis type player. Tall, powerful, fast, who works hard up and down the line. We will need to sell if he doesn't sign a new deal soon. I don't see not playing him for not signing a new deal as a wise move. He is more likely to want to sign a new deal if he plays. And if he is playing games and impressing, then that puts his price up if we do need to sell in January.

But not much end product

4 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I wouldn't offer it on potential. We've been saying "he has potential" since we bought him, and eventually you need to look at a player and decide that they are not the finished article. I can't see any big clubs picking him up on potential because he's 23, coming up to 24, and if they wanted to buy kids with potential they'd be looking at actual kids up to 19-20.

For us, right now, I think he's good enough. We could do better, but we'd be ******* morons to let him go on a free. IF he ends up going on a free to a bigger club or a division rival then LJ needs to answer for this, because he's let too many players go away on the cheap.

Depends on whether we’ve offered him something and he’s turned it down or whether we’ve offered him nothing. 

Assuming he thinks he’s in demand, waiting for the summer and going somewhere on a free (and collecting a nice signing in fee) might be in his best interests. In this scenario. He holds all the aces. 

If this does happen I wouldn’t blame LJ per se, but it would be a black mark in the recruitment policy of buy em young, develop em and sell em for a profit. 

5 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

But not much end product

I thought there was big praise for him earlier in season for his trick and cross for Watkins winner against Sheff Utd , a few days after doing the same in an International for Eire

Think there’s a sound/good player in there who gives us something different as well, and some of the comments about him on here I find ............surprising

If he dissapears off into the sunset on a free , our master plan is looking a bit naive and has some holes

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Depends on whether we’ve offered him something and he’s turned it down or whether we’ve offered him nothing. 

Assuming he thinks he’s in demand, waiting for the summer and going somewhere on a free (and collecting a nice signing in fee) might be in his best interests. In this scenario. He holds all the aces. 

If this does happen I wouldn’t blame LJ per se, but it would be a black mark in the recruitment policy of buy em young, develop em and sell em for a profit. 

True. Ultimately, the market will dictate his worth, and if we look a year or two from now and see him in a position better than the one we offered him it's a sign we (LJ) ****** up.

You're absolutely spot on about the recruitment policy. O'Dowda was bought purely for this reason, Kodjia was brought in before LJ, and Bryan/Reid were academy prospects, so to buy a player and not make a profit would be a huge red flag on this model.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought there was big praise for him earlier in season for his trick and cross for Watkins winner against Sheff Utd , a few days after doing the same in an International for Eire

Think there’s a sound/good player in there who gives us something different as well, and some of the comments about him on here I find ............surprising

If he dissapears off into the sunset on a free , our master plan is looking a bit naive and has some holes

I don't know, Bob. I just don't think we have enough goals in our team, and O'Dowda's goals and assists ratio has been poor. It's frustrating because he obviously has a bit of energy about him.

9 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Absolutely agree, I rate him and although he hasn't reached the level he was pre injury, he is a good player NOW. If it turns into another Engval situation then I hope SL asks some difficult questions of his prot'ege'. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Either way something should have happened by now. We have wasted millions on players, and seen players go for a loss  when they were either still good enough to play, or before they have had a chance to prove they are good enough. Our recruitment has been a complete cluster-**** at times. If we have offered him something (maybe LJ isn't convinced offered him less than expected) and it was turned down, he should have been sold by now before it get's late. If we rate him, then we should go out to offer him good terms. Of course either one of these scenarios could end with him turning down the contract, my point being we shouldn't let things go on this long . We are going to take another hit , and  another black mark against our scouting, recruitment  and management set up.
If it wasn't for Flint and the two academy boys, our buying and selling ledger would be scary reading.

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Absolutely agree, I rate him and although he hasn't reached the level he was pre injury, he is a good player NOW. If it turns into another Engval situation then I hope SL asks some difficult questions of his prot'ege'. 

Either way something should have happened by now. We have wasted millions on players, and seen players go for a loss  when they were either still good enough to play, or before they have had a chance to prove they are good enough. Our recruitment has been a complete cluster-**** at times. If we have offered him something (maybe LJ isn't convinced offered him less than expected) and it was turned down, he should have been sold by now before it get's late. If we rate him, then we should go out to offer him good terms. Of course either one of these scenarios could end with him turning down the contract, my point being we shouldn't let things go on this long . We are going to take another hit , and  another black mark against our scouting, recruitment  and management set up.
If it wasn't for Flint and the two academy boys, our buying and selling ledger would be scary reading.

Correct, these 2 year deals with a year option need to be 3+1 or even 4.  Gives us a bit of protection.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Correct, these 2 year deals with a year option need to be 3+1 or even 4.  Gives us a bit of protection.

Yep, especially for players under the age of 23/24. You worry then that they perhaps will feel comfortable & not put the work in, but it’s a risk we need to take when signing ‘ones for the future’ up. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree Dave, specially if you are buying potential. Reid could have been written off before he had chance to shine, and was by some, I really think that COD has a big future but sadly probably away from BS3.

On 12/12/2018 at 06:30, Agard Days Night said:

Is this true? Assuming it is I am appalled.

Appalled? Never assume - makes an ASS of U and ME

So whilst he and two other of his team mates go on international duty the rest of the squad have some warmer climate training. Those same three are given a few days off to compensate. Yeh that’s really appalling!

20 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

Appalled? Never assume - makes an ASS of U and ME

So whilst he and two other of his team mates go on international duty the rest of the squad have some warmer climate training. Those same three are given a few days off to compensate. Yeh that’s really appalling!

Appalling? Never appall - makes an APP out of A and LL.

1 minute ago, hoxton casual said:

On that perfornance if he has not signed we will probably lose him

It's depressing but I suspect that was  what finally motivated him to turn it on. He hasn't done much since his injury and Lee was charitable on sky and suggested he is just getting his fitness back. I am more cynical in my view as to why he suddenly lifted his game tonight.

5 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Why he hasn’t been in team and why we haven’t got him signing a new deal are both mysteries to me.

Odds on the two are related. Lee won't play him because he won't sign.

Callum wants away. Being on Sky was a great opportunity to attract bidders to achieve his aim of moving on. All assumptions as I am not ITK but seems to fit what we've seen recently.

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Odds on the two are related. Lee won't play him because he won't sign.

Callum wants away. Being on Sky was a great opportunity to attract bidders to achieve his aim of moving on. All assumptions as I am not ITK but seems to fit what we've seen recently.

Sadly you may be right. Real shame to lose him if so. 

Archived