IGNORED

My first trip to watch City at Stoke

cidered abroad

31 October 1959

Division 2

I cannot remember why I went and also how. As a pupil at BGS, we went to school on Saturday mornings so it must have been half term.

It was a cold, damp and drab day in Stoke. We had only won three from thirteen games including a 2-1 win at home against the Gas. No away wins. I didn't see any other City fans there.

Peter Doherty had signed Malcolm Graham and John McCann from Barnsley in the summer for big money. Graham was injured as soon as he arrived but was in the team for the first time.

Also in the side were Bristolian debutants, Frank Jacobs in midfield and right winger Phil Coggins.

Amazingly we won 3-1 with goals from Atyeo, of course, and two for Graham.

An away day to remember but the recovery did not last. A home win followed but there weeks later, Villa stuffed us 5-0 at Ashton Gate.

Doherty was sacked and relegation followed at the end of the season. The first time I'd realized how heartbreaking it can be to be a City supporter.

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Which was the game at AG the second half of last season where it was bitingly cold with a bitter wind? I think it was a Saturday and I don`t think I warmed up fully until the next day!

Home to Shed W... 2 days after the beast from the east arrived? I'd just got back from Brisbane where the temperature was 37c when I left...nice?

22 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Which was the game at AG the second half of last season where it was bitingly cold with a bitter wind? I think it was a Saturday and I don`t think I warmed up fully until the next day!

Sure it was Ipswich, bitter as hell an short of the win pithing enjoyable about the experience

Well it’s taken a while but it’s my very first visit to Stoke today, at either of their grounds. I hope my away days luck will hold out as so far this season I’ve seen two wins and a draw, can’t say I’m feeling confident though.

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

Home to Cardiff in 2009 or 10 can’t remember now (someone feel free to date it) ...Tuesday night game if I remember rightly ...sat in the Williams and have never felt cold like it ...well below freezing , sleet was coming down and to top it all we lost about 0-6 ...:gaah:

Snowing programmes too that night...

23 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

My first game at Stoke was also a 3-1 win but in the FA cup.

Mid 90's.

I can't remember any wins up there in the league...

Yes, I also saw that one. The great Sir Stanley was just inside reception that night.  1-3 was my favourite score at Stoke until today's 0-2.

first visit to Stoke was a blinding cup replay match at the beautiful Victoria in the mid-90s. Belting atmosphere, with City running out 3-1 winners after extra time to set up a 4th round tie against Everton. The FA Cup meant something back then, certainly judging by the delirium on the terraces!

On 31/12/2018 at 19:56, Red Right Hand said:

My coldest ever was a night match at Valley Parade before the post-fire rebuild when we had about 100 fans on that huge bank behind the goal. 1-1 IIRC with Andy Llewellyn getting a rare goal for us.

I was going mention that game, it was freezing, they had some boisterous fans trying to get at us as well who tried attacking our van after the game, they soon retreated when they were bombarded with dozens of empty diamond white bottles

Archived