Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

redsapper

FA Cup 4th Round Draw - Bolton (H)

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

Home or away to Arsenal or Spurs. 

Liverpool would plow us. So would Spurs to be fair. 

Same was said about Man City.

Didn't happen.

31 minutes ago, hodge said:

Not saying that but we saw last year what winning a few games in the cup can do for the league performance, lose the momentum you have in the league and it can be hard to get it back.

We aint going to do nothing in the league though might as well try and make a final

Edited by WolfOfWestStreet
Triple post ...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

One of the big boys at home. Would love Liverpool as I absolutely detest them and Ashton Gate would be absolutely rocking.

Would it be at Wembley or their new stadium?

Either/or, not a lot of difference from mine :bonkers:

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We aint going to do nothing in the league though might as well try and make a final 

Like it keep saying it wont happen and it just might!....Good thinking!

• Like 1

Having seen Man U and Man C last year would be good to see Liverpool or Tottenham at home. Most likely get Bolton or Brentford away though.  . 

I’ve a nasty feeling it will be Boro away, just because scheduled league games have a habit of being drawn in the cup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We're 1 point behind what Fulham had at this stage last season and 6th place has the same amount of points. Chances of making the final of the fa cup? Slim to zilch, a top 6 finish in the championship bookies reckon around 4/1, never know we may make a final that way ;)

1 minute ago, Malago said:

I’ve a nasty feeling it will be Boro away, just because scheduled league games have a habit of being drawn in the cup.

Its not fifa...

In order of preference.

Man U away.

Liverpool away.

Accrington Stanley away

AFC Wimbledon away. 

Edited by Carey 6

22 minutes ago, Spoons said:

A trip to fratton park for me..... Because that would be a proper cup tie.

Good shout, would be well up for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Not saying that but we saw last year what winning a few games in the cup can do for the league performance, lose the momentum you have in the league and it can be hard to get it back.

Sad 😪

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Yeah but the FA Cup semi finals aren't until late season.

By then we'll have promotion secured so it'll be fine.

Drinks on me at Anfield in August ;):drunk2:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yeah but the FA Cup semi finals aren't until late season.

By then we'll have promotion secured so it'll be fine.

Drinks on me at Anfield in August ;):drunk2:

Noting this on the slimmest of slim chances it happens :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Noting this on the slimmest of slim chances it happens :ph34r:

*Offer only valid for Liverpool vs Bristol City in a Premier League match in August 2019.

1 hour ago, Red_Wizard said:

Michelle Keegan

Rudolph knocked her out in the preliminary rounds!

Isn't there about 15% allocation to away fans in FA Cup?

We could- and would- take a huge away following to one of the big boys. Tottenham aren't allowed to be at full capacity- Man U away, complete the 'double' (in Cups) perhaps?? Other than that, either a winnable tie at home or a big one- Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea one of those would be a top side we haven't faced in a while.

2 hours ago, Malago said:

Just make it a double header!!

I would love it to be Arsenal, preferably away,  have we played them since we we were relegated from the old 1st division?

8 hours ago, StGeorge said:

There must be a few with flights, hotels, trains etc booked hoping for Middlesborough away....

Or Newcastle if they get through. Yes we have booked flights and hotel.

15 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Who are you hoping Rovers get? 

A new owner

A new stadium 

A new training ground

Someone else to pay for the bottom two 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Hull away please, ideally moved to a Monday night kick off.

I'm guessing you've forgotten what the FA Cup is

43 minutes ago, class not gas said:

Or Newcastle if they get through. Yes we have booked flights and hotel.

Should have booked through NTTDS - could have saved on the hotel...

..and a ticket for the match!

A team from the championship would be boring.

A team from the lower divisions could be embarrassing.

I want a Premier League team and hopefully one of the top 6. Liverpool would be great, all those memories of the FA Cup in the 90s.

9 hours ago, StGeorge said:

There must be a few with flights, hotels, trains etc booked hoping for Middlesborough away....

Yep, booked my train yesterday without thinking.

Would bloody love Boro in the cup away that weekend!

9 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I don't even want to be in the cup, did we not learn from last year? 

Learn what?

Traditionally a cup run has been viewed as a boost to clubs, it's only recently it's been seen as in any way a negative.

Massive squads these days so a few cup games should be even less of a 'problem'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Learn what?

Traditionally a cup run has been viewed as a boost to clubs, it's only recently it's been seen as in any way a negative.

Massive squads these days so a few cup games should be even less of a 'problem'.

Cup runs boost clubs. Is that an actual fact you're quoting there?  Or an opinion? 

1 minute ago, Badger08 said:

Cup runs boost clubs. Is that an actual fact you're quoting there?  Or an opinion? 

Winning games usually boosts clubs, yes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

It’s a pretty valid opinion tbh!

Take our run last year - you can argue that the run ultimately affected our league form but there were no guarantees of going up anyway - and the run brought national exposure, financial rewards and I’ll wager made players look at us as a more serious proposition. For example - would Kalas have considered us as a lower half champ club?  (I don’t know but the exposure can’t have hurt his decision).

Lower down the pyramid take Lincoln - their FA cup run of a couple of years ago paid for a new training facility.

If it was a stone cold fact that going on a cup run meant a club would fail in the league then you may have a case in saying they don’t boost clubs. As it is, I can’t see @Nogbad the Bad‘s opinion being anything other than the right one.

29 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I don't even want to be in the cup, did we not learn from last year? 

We want some fun, try smiling once in a while

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Winning games usually boosts clubs, yes.

Brilliant. So fatigue doesn't play a part in it at all.

Well let's just take your traditionally opinion to one side, and let's look at the sports science facts shall we?  Teams that take a long run in cup competitions see player stats dramatically drop for the remaining 3rd on the season.  Some would argue the time of the season players need to actually maintain or peak. Especially if you're looking at a playoff run. 

Also, teams who go futher into a cup competition seem to drop on average a points deficit of 0.861 per game. This is stats take  from  between 1996 to 2016 from  teams in all different leagues across the world. That's not even taking into  consideration the extra risk of injury.

These are the facts, not an off the cuff "traditionally" opinion.  

So as much as a one off game appeals to me, I'm fed up with "one off" cup games, I want a cup game every week in the Premier League. Why risk our chances of that when we're in such a good place right now is beyond me.

Have we got a big enough squad to rotate and not risk our key players? Defo so want to win the next round too. 

Did last seasons dip (to put it mildly) in form only happen because we had a cup run v both Manchester Cup runs? No, of course not, we didn't have the players who could sustain 50+games of high tempo so we can want a cup run this season. 

For me, to have a cup run we want to get the weakest teams (and possibly away where our form is best) until we get so far only a Spurs or Liverpool is the outcome;namely a day out again at Wembley with our league season already finished as a success! 😀 

8 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Brilliant. So fatigue doesn't play a part in it at all.

Well let's just take your traditionally opinion to one side, and let's look at the sports science facts shall we?  Teams that take a long run in cup competitions see player stats dramatically drop for the remaining 3rd on the season.  Some would argue the time of the season players need to actually maintain or peak. Especially if you're looking at a playoff run. 

Also, teams who go futher into a cup competition seem to drop on average a points deficit of 0.861 per game. This is stats take  from  between 1996 to 2016 from  teams in all different leagues across the world. That's not even taking into  consideration the extra risk of injury.

These are the facts, not an off the cuff "traditionally" opinion.  

So as much as a one off game appeals to me, I'm fed up with "one off" cup games, I want a cup game every week in the Premier League. Why risk our chances of that when we're in such a good place right now is beyond me.

We are mid table - we aren’t going to go up this season. 

Enjoy the cup, enjoy the memories (like Man Utd last season), and worry less about what ifs.

• Like 3