Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JasonM88

Charity Collecters

13 hours ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

I've collected for charity before games on a few occasions in the past. We were not paid but we did get a complimentary match ticket.

Last collection we did was for a local cancer care charity. And me and my mate played every trick in the book.  Got right in people's way. Shaked buckets. Accosted people in the Sports Bar. If we saw people we knew we gave them the guilt treatment.

Two of us raised more than double what all the other fundraisers achieved combined.

Wow....

13 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

I’ve obviously no problem with Charity Collections and am more than happy to give any spare change over. At the Atyeo end of the Dolman concourse it was endless shaking for at least 30 minutes before the game, and all through half time.

Please can you help me with this, I genuinely do need this info. Were they moving around chasing and hassling people or generally stood in one area and people walking past them? Could you not have moved yourself to a quieter part of the concourse, how many of them were there as I know there is a max of 10 for the whole stadium, so possibly only one or two in each concourse? I would have thought they were easily avoidable if you wanted to. Was it so much more noticeable yesterday, or do you not usually stand where you did? Have you noticed this before or is it a one off?

I'm not sure if I should have reopened this topic,  but have as it's for a cause close to my heart.

This Saturday (Swansea), myself and other volunteers will be helping with the bucket collection for CHSW. I promise not to rattle the bucket too aggressively so please consider donating some loose change. 😀.

By the way, once a month, we offer a free guided tour of the facilities at Charlton Farm. You need to book (via the CHSW website) if you would like a look around and see where the money you have donated is spent. Free tea and cake afterwards!

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

I'm not sure if I should have reopened this topic,  but have as it's for a cause close to my heart.

This Saturday (Swansea), myself and other volunteers will be helping with the bucket collection for CHSW. I promise not to rattle the bucket too aggressively so please consider donating some loose change. 😀. Or some notes 😉

By the way, once a month, we offer a free guided tour of the facilities at Charlton Farm. You need to book (via the CHSW website) if you would like a look around and see where the money you have donated is spent. Free tea and cake afterwards!

Good man RG 👍

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Is there a bucket collection today (v  WIgan) ?

Yes. It's the Bristol city community trust day today.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spoons said:

Yes. It's the Bristol city community trust day today.

Whoever organised it wasn’t very good as I didn’t see any collectors anywhere outside the ground. I always chuck in a pound, as it doesn’t affect me, but if most people did the same it would make a big difference to the respective charities 

I am one of those charity collectors and a season ticket holder in the South stand. We ask for permission to collect before the season and the club do send us terms and conditions before the game indicating what we can and cannot do. This is circulated to all of those taking part. I have to say they (Bristol Sport) are very supportive. We get paid NOTHING and give up a few hours to help others.  We just want to help those that need a boost. All charities remain extremely grateful for any donations made. Are they worthwhile-Yes. My club has normally collected at City games for the Childrens' hospital and the Childrens' Hospice South West at Wraxhall raising on average £500-600.This season for the first time we did a Bristol Bears game and raised over £900 for the Hospice. Please remember that when you see these people. We are trying to help.

On behalf of all members Clevedon Yeo Rotary club

COYR's 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always red said:

I am one of those charity collectors and a season ticket holder in the South stand. We ask for permission to collect before the season and the club do send us terms and conditions before the game indicating what we can and cannot do. This is circulated to all of those taking part. I have to say they (Bristol Sport) are very supportive. We get paid NOTHING and give up a few hours to help others.  We just want to help those that need a boost. All charities remain extremely grateful for any donations made. Are they worthwhile-Yes. My club has normally collected at City games for the Childrens' hospital and the Childrens' Hospice South West at Wraxhall raising on average £500-600.This season for the first time we did a Bristol Bears game and raised over £900 for the Hospice. Please remember that when you see these people. We are trying to help.

COYR's 

Fully agree with this. That’s what normally happens with any charities that are outside of the club. Yesterday was as stated the Bristol City Community Trust charity day, they are of course connected to the club and obviously BS and I think they may have organised themselves differently that what is more usual. 

As you say many charity collectors are ST holders, but if they aren’t the club does provide a limited amount of free match tickets for either football or rugby, depending on which sport the charity are collecting at. Therefore anyone connected with a charity can apply to collect, it’s not just ST holders, no one is excluded.

I am a middle aged bloke who gets irritated by most things these days, but even I fail to get irate over a noisy bucket full of coins. Throw into the mix the fact that the collection is for a good cause and that may well be up there as the most cantankerous thing ever written by mankind

• Aubergine 1

If there are collectors I like to take down a pocket full of loose change, probably a couple of quids worth.  It is bloody uncomfortable sitting down for 90 minutes on a back pocket full of change.................

8 hours ago, Always red said:

COYR's 

I am also a season ticket holder and have given my time to CHSW to collect at Ashton Gate. 

Last time I collected was Feb (photo courtesy of @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO )

I'll also be in Sainsbury's on Winterstoke Road on 4th May 2pm - 4pm and Debenhams on 18th May 10am to 3:30pm if you would like to donate. 

CHSW Ashton Gate.jpeg

• Like 3

On 13/01/2019 at 02:29, Mr Popodopolous said:

Charities and charity fundraising...interesting subject!

Obviously no problem with today whatsoever, but overall an interesting subject.

The cause is obviously excellent with charities, no debate there. I think fundraisers though ideally should be directly employed. Because some of the fundraising methods and companies- and this cuts across both the companies and the charities- not the best.

Without going into specifics, to hire most on an agency basis and agency means you can hire and fire at will via outsourcing- would argue that doesn't reflect brilliantly on the charity sector for a start. Then there's some of the telephone fundraisers themselves, but they themselves are under pressure or I don't know target related to raise money for the charity. Even seen the odd job raising cash via companies like Cobra Group (look them up) which have been commission only for door to door fundraising. Dodgy but if the charity have involvement no party comes out looking well. There is a tendency though to think "Charity virtuous, other companies raising on behalf of questionable" but not always so simple.

The middle management and top brass in these places get rewarded rather decently- don't just mean in terms of cash or even in terms of cash necessarily, but items like BUPA as part of package, season ticket loans, gym membership etc- interesting area. Contrast that to people on phone at these companies agency hired who may have some hard sell techniques, but on the other hand are in pretty precarious ways. Not sure anyone comes out looking fantastic.

Without naming names or companies/charities, the best example I know of is one of the top Charities in the country having their links to the NHS. Cancer charity- but BUPA as part of package for various (not all but various) middling and top brass there. Corporate partnership maybe? I don't know, but maybe. They have NHS Trust in Partnership with said charity and yet BUPA! It's a hard one.

Now it's an old Job ad I'll grant you but a quick google search of the sector and examples lead me to this. No I don't think the wages are excessive but it's an interesting mismatch because phone bashing for charity is hard work, yet rewarding and to be agency only open ended quite likely set against this is an interesting contrast.

Good due diligence,

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Greatgraham said:

Good due diligence,

Research is part of my dayjob or certainly has been in past jobs- a flaw of mine, thorough to a fault at times! :blush:

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

One thing that really upset me a few years ago was when my ex did some kind of walk for a charity on a saturday.

On getting home from work the landline rang and a rather strange voice asked can i speak to mrs louie  no please hello or anything tactful.

Who the fs this i asked?

Im from such and such charity he said then explained they havent had payment from her for the walk two days ago.

What a nerve!

You will get your cheque i said then slammed the phone down.

If his phone manner would have been more tactful i wouldnt have minded.