IGNORED

Impressive thing about today

Kid in the Riot

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

I'd leave it mate, it will just go around in circles.  They guy was wrong. The amount of person abuse he gave me for saying I believed in Johnson was incredible. I stuck the knowledge of all football on ignore.  I say that, if someone quotes him I've still got to read is vitriol.  

The guy shouted the loudest about wanting Johnson out. He was so convinced by his opinion, he actually abused people and got personal about it, so he is now in my opinion getting some justified stick back. Maybe not in the most constructive way however.  I've just come to terms that he will NEVER admit he was wrong, and if he did, I would actually respect the guy, but he doesn't.  When hes wrong, he just question avoids and uses emoji's. If the shoe was on the other foot, he would be like a dog with a bone trawling through years of posts, calling you an idiot and clicking his beloved GIF button which he has clearly just discovered.  He is just a hybrid between a slippery politician, Robbored, and a teflon frying pan, which makes Keith Millens coating look like a lint roller.  

Apart from  that, I like him. He's  obviously  very  passionate about the club, that's why I think his opinions are so strong (how ever wrong they turn out to be).  He just needs to tone down the passive aggressiveness of it all.  Overall though, the place wouldn't be the same without the little scamp and his "when I was at Italia 90" stories. 

I think you've just summed it up nicely!! One day he will get it. Stubborn old fool

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Talking of tactics, I think you were involved in the discussion on here after the Swansea game about how much room the fullbacks had and how it gave them an illusion of space, while we packed the penalty area? I noticed that West Ham used a similar method against Liverpool during the week, so maybe this is something LJ picked up on his European trip?

What I particularly enjoyed about the Swansea game was that a lot of their fans didn’t seem to realise just how far out of the game they were, just because they had “possession”.

Regarding this game, I think you are right to point out that the most significant thing was how worried Mowbray was about our substitutions. Word has clearly got around about our ability to change it up as the game opens up, we may see more managers making similar decisions in the coming weeks.

It's certainly quite a compliment when the manager of the home team takes off his key attacking player to counter our subs.

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Palmer had a note. He ran on with a written note that he gave to Pack. Pack read it several times, handed it round to Brownhill and a few others. It ended up with Pisano who read it a couple of times and then shoved it down his pants. 5 mins later.

Goal.

What did the note say?

panties no panties.jpg

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Talking of tactics, I think you were involved in the discussion on here after the Swansea game about how much room the fullbacks had and how it gave them an illusion of space, while we packed the penalty area? I noticed that West Ham used a similar method against Liverpool during the week, so maybe this is something LJ picked up on his European trip?

What I particularly enjoyed about the Swansea game was that a lot of their fans didn’t seem to realise just how far out of the game they were, just because they had “possession”.

Regarding this game, I think you are right to point out that the most significant thing was how worried Mowbray was about our substitutions. Word has clearly got around about our ability to change it up as the game opens up, we may see more managers making similar decisions in the coming weeks.

We've defended narrow pretty much all of LJ's tenure haven't we? In 2016-17 we definitely were doing it then. I think it's more a case of players being much more comfortable and adept at the system than previously.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

We've defended narrow pretty much all of LJ's tenure haven't we? In 2016-17 we definitely were doing it then. I think it's more a case of players being much more comfortable and adept at the system than previously.

I’m not well versed in the Pep tactic of overloading in one area to create space in another...maybe need @Cowshed to explain it to me with some pictures.  I get the theory, but not sure how it transitions within the passage of play.

You're right that we have defended narrow (at times) throughout LJ’s reign, but for different reasons.  I remember Adam Matthews playing so narrow he was actually on the left side of the centre.  But why?  To save Flint getting exposed.  Don’t get me wrong I liked Flint, but I was also not blinkered by his goals, and knew how exposed he could be to sharp movement down the side.  That’s why Matthews played narrow for example.

Nowadays, Pisano, Hunt or Wright play narrow because they have a man to mark, they don’t need to support Kalas, he’s good enough to do his own job.  When they do mark narrow, Weimann happily tracks the LB and we end up with a back 5 in some regards....but importantly we don’t have wasted (multiple) defenders marking space.  This allows our CMs to close their CMs, rather than become outnumbered by picking up one of the CB’s strikers.

Ultimately we defend as a team now.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not well versed in the Pep tactic of overloading in one area to create space in another...maybe need @Cowshed to explain it to me with some pictures.  I get the theory, but not sure how it transitions within the passage of play.

You're right that we have defended narrow (at times) throughout LJ’s reign, but for different reasons.  I remember Adam Matthews playing so narrow he was actually on the left side of the centre.  But why?  To save Flint getting exposed.  Don’t get me wrong I liked Flint, but I was also not blinkered by his goals, and knew how exposed he could be to sharp movement down the side.  That’s why Matthews played narrow for example.

Nowadays, Pisano, Hunt or Wright play narrow because they have a man to mark, they don’t need to support Kalas, he’s good enough to do his own job.  When they do mark narrow, Weimann happily tracks the LB and we end up with a back 5 in some regards....but importantly we don’t have wasted (multiple) defenders marking space.  This allows our CMs to close their CMs, rather than become outnumbered by picking up one of the CB’s strikers.

I see what you're saying,  but think it was more than just covering Flint. It was done either side and quite often me and the person next to me would talk about how we were defending so narrowly- especially on the occasions where it possibly contributed to us conceding (sadly a fairly regular thing during a particular spell that season!) In fact I largely remember it from seeing our LBs defending from the edge of the area, rather than our RB taking a LCB position.

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I see what you're saying,  but think it was more than just covering Flint. It was done either side and quite often me and the person next to me would talk about how we were defending so narrowly- especially on the occasions where it possibly contributed to us conceding (sadly a fairly regular thing during a particular spell that season!) In fact I largely remember it from seeing our LBs defending from the edge of the area, rather than our RB taking a LCB position.

Not saying the Matthews thing was purely for Flint, just an example I saw.

I never saw the same thing with LB/LCB, and in my position at AG, I saw a lot of that (for 45 minutes at least each game - they were right underneath us).

You got some examples?  Might recall it then?

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying the Matthews thing was purely for Flint, just an example I saw.

I never saw the same thing with LB/LCB, and in my position at AG, I saw a lot of that (for 45 minutes at least each game - they were right underneath us).

You got some examples?  Might recall it then?

Not saying the LB and LCB swapped, but the LB had a narrow start point, possibly so the LCB was able to cover Flint.

Not great at recalling specific moments (in general), but I think you can see it a few times in the highlights of the 2-1 win at home to QPR in 2016-17 (right at the bottom of the highlights on BCTV).

In that game it was Little at RB and Wright at LCB with Bryan and Flint completing the 4.

My seat that season was behind the left hand goalpost at the SS end, about 20 rows back.

Maybe from that position I was more inclined to spot the left side being narrow than the right side.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

An observation is that the team is narrower because it is not so high v pressing high. They fall into shape, screen and then press … Think of the team sectioning off the pitch into zones and defending three of four opponents half and as they go backwards into two of three. Players can mark opponents and still cover zones = In theory they cannot be outnumbered.

The team will be more comfortable with a system to meet challenges v systems, and that is what City had previously. Its harder to learn and train and feel comfortable with approaches that alter.

Lee Johnson also has pulled in extra coaching support on a part time basis to help with coaching defensive shape. Players are being coached in units by coaches, and the hows of where each unit interacts with each. 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

An observation is that the team is narrower because it is not so high v pressing high. They fall into shape, screen and then press … Think of the team sectioning off the pitch into zones and defending three of four opponents half and as they go backwards into two of three. Players can mark opponents and still cover zones = In theory they cannot be outnumbered.

The team will be more comfortable with a system to meet challenges v systems, and that is what City had previously. Its harder to learn and train and feel comfortable with approaches that alter.

Lee Johnson also has pulled in extra coaching support on a part time basis to help with coaching defensive shape. Players are being coached in units by coaches, and the hows of where each unit interacts with each. 

Who has been brought in?

15 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

One coach that has been is Micheal Meaker. Its temporary. Specific detail is worked on - Defensive shape from forwards and midfielders and a coach for x amount of sessions.

I knew that he and his organisation has a close association with BCFC but I didn't know it was that close !

53 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

One coach that has been is Micheal Meaker. Its temporary. Specific detail is worked on - Defensive shape from forwards and midfielders and a coach for x amount of sessions.

Ta.

On the radio the other week I heard MM was on the bench (not sure for whom, Truro or someone like that) at the age of 45 ?

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

On the radio the other week I heard MM was on the bench (not sure for whom, Truro or someone like that) at the age of 45 ?

It will be Truro. He is always in shape. That type of bloke.

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I will have a go at explaining it .. The pictures will have to be in your head.

Think of four players in a line then in a diamond. Which covers the more space and creates more space, which creates the better passing angles? It is the diamond.

The football works on a principle of the player in possession will always be provided by immediate support. The team instantly moves to relational distances to the possession - triangles and diamonds. The entire team moves to relational distances to the possession including the Keeper.

The overload. In a 4-3-3 the midfield three play narrow. One is advanced or two, and one or two are deeper … Its a triangle. The centre forward goes high, widemen high, full backs high and wide, centre backs drop creating depth and the Keeper leaves the box as a further option … This creates multiple triangles and diamonds say a neck tie shape. 

The ball may be in that central three and in a overload but all around it are passing angles and a team making the pitch as big as possible. That overload and the relational team behaviour creates space. By being that big players can move into more space - half spaces. More conventional and rigid approaches cannot by their nature create that amount of space. 

Wherever the ball goes on the pitch because of the teams shape players can instantly move into positions of immediate support. The receiver will also know where his immediate support will be because it is pre planned by the principles to a degree its a team subconsciously moving into position.

If player A gets it here he will have the option of keeping it close in the overload that diamond with immediate support, or the big switch to the flank, or starting again with the CB's, or going home to a Keeper with the footskill to do as he does .. 

I hope that makes sense.

On 09/02/2019 at 21:56, sticks 1969 said:

I have not listened to it yet but the trouble is they had so many classic songs that we have listened to for 40 years now , that they become a way of life and songs you grew up with. Any thing new just has not got the history or memories that the old songs have    And are from a different era if that makes any sense?

Agree, the Specials back in the 80s, the lyrics were about the recession, Thatcher and all the problems in society at the time. Ghostown etc (one of my all time faves). A bit like them creating music around Brexit today - WTF. Can you imagine that!

Not too mention the band lineup is different today.

But I am sure they are still worth watching in 2019. Aah memories!

• The topic was locked

Archived