IGNORED

Hardest set of fixtures in the league coming up - How many points?

Eastside Moonwalker

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

We will win all of these . Then lose to Preston  :laughcont:

Bizarrely it might just be Preston who have made LJ change the way we play .

He must have been aware of how they play and how we rarely seem to get anything from them.

They perform above their ranking without superstars and fight , tooth and nail, for everything .

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Bizarrely it might just be Preston who have made LJ change the way we play .

He must have been aware of how they play and how we rarely seem to get anything from them.

They perform above their ranking without superstars and fight , tooth and nail, for everything .

Will be a different game when we play them- noticed they have put more of an emphasis on attacking and possession in recent weeks.

Both a risk and an opportunity for us- quite often when we play them, they're quite physical, yet with an attacking threat. Can be quite cagey too so if they open up it'd be to our advantage in some ways, but some risks too.

6 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Sheff U don’t rate us in the main. 

They started a thread on us: 

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-real-danger.69381/page-2

They seemed to stop talking about us after about three replies. So even in a thread dedicated to us, we get ignored by opposition fans.

#flyingundertheradar

1 minute ago, elhombrecito said:

They seemed to stop talking about us after about three replies. So even in a thread dedicated to us, we get ignored by opposition fans.

#flyingundertheradar

That's a bit weird because our standard in the past season and a half has been most similar to theirs. Us and them have both mounted a push for promotion two years running.

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

How good are West Brom?

We'll soon know. Their next 5 fixtures:

Forest home 

Villa away 

QPR away

Shef Utd home

Leeds away 

Tough!

Then they have an easier run, but could we catch them by then?

They also go to Derby on the last day- possible decider that i.e. WBA going for top 2 needing to win, Derby going for playoffs.

Gut feel is that we are still outsiders for the play offs, given who we still have to play. However, if we are dreaming...by far the best way to ensure you can close the gap at the top quickly is to play the other teams. Might all turn to ashes, but if people are dreaming of auto, that is exactly the list of matches I would chose,

25 minutes ago, Pezo said:

What's the average amount of points required to make the playoffs? 

74 according to the table here. But 68 has been enough (we will need more than 68 imo).

80+ is generally required for top two. We have 16 games left. We will need to win 10 out of 16 to get the 30 points required to get us to 80 - which is unlikely to happen imo. So frankly the aim now is to get properly into the top 6 and go into the play offs in good form and with confidence.

Edit: yes I initially buggered up the maths. Have corrected it.

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

74 according to the table here. But 68 has been enough (we will need more than 68 imo).

80+ is generally required for top two. We have 16 games left. We will need to win 10 out of 16 to get the 30 points required to get us to 80 - which is unlikely to happen imo. So frankly the aim now is to get properly into the top 6 and go into the play offs in good form and with confidence.

Edit: yes I initially buggered up the maths. Have corrected it.

Thanks, so Leeds form from the last 15 gets them to auto but if its form over 10 or 5 games then they should make the playoffs. Our form over the last 15 should make the playoffs but our form over the last 10 or 5 should get us to the automatic positions.

I guess previous performance doesn't indicate future performance but still it's going to be interesting.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

The one game that stands out for me is Norwich away......tough, tough away game. If City get a result at Carrow Rd  then the writing really will be on the wall.

2 defeats in the last 26 games for Norwich and they show no signs of letting up.

Mind you, those 2 defeats were both at home..

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

2 defeats in the last 26 games for Norwich and they show no signs of letting up.

Mind you, those 2 defeats were both at home..

Their away record is quite something- looked at it and only one loss away from home all season- that was their 2nd away game all the way back in August! Makes our performance against them even more impressive.

At home though, they seem, to lose the odd one- if we were to win there we'd have to absorb a lot of possession and pressure but probably more likely to win there than if we were to play them here! 13 unbeaten away in the League which is pretty nuts...

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Q.P.R. next

NO complacency, this could be a real bugger.

Totally agree with those who have said one game at a time

COYR, excitement growing for tomorrow already.

Think this one could be deceptively tricky and patience maybe required- from fans and team- if we don't get an early or even first half goal.

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think this one could be deceptively tricky and patience maybe required- from fans and team- if we don't get an early or even first half goal.

We have become patient haven’t we ?’

Blissfully confident in 1- nil to the City whatever minute of the match .

Are we all in this collective dream ? 

Something really big is happening and I’m not referring to the contents of  Rudolph’s Y fronts . 

46 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Thanks, so Leeds form from the last 15 gets them to auto but if its form over 10 or 5 games then they should make the playoffs. Our form over the last 15 should make the playoffs but our form over the last 10 or 5 should get us to the automatic positions.

I guess previous performance doesn't indicate future performance but still it's going to be interesting.

It is true that previous performance doesn't indicate future performance. However, you can reasonably expect to revert to the norm or average over a long period of time.

https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england2&tid=re

This is the best form table I have seen as it shows how form over the past 8 matches compares to average performance over the whole season. It therefore shows if a team is over or under performing, and by how much. It uses points per game to do so.  Over the whole season we average 1.67 ppg, but over the past 8 we've averaged 2.5 (bloody Frank Lampard's Derby County Football Club and Brentford). So we've been gaining 0.83 more points per game than our season average (and that average includes the great run we're on)...is that sustainable or will we regress to our norm???

Say we get 1.67 ppg over the final 16 games...that gets us another 27 points (rounded up from 26.72), so finishing on 77.  Is that enough? It's above the average for a play-off position, and would have netted 5th place last season. However, Derby have the same seasonal ppg average as us (as we are on the same points from the same number of games). Essentially it's likely to be all eyes on the game against Derby and then on the goal difference in May.

If we break all records and continue at 2.5 ppg we'll finish on 90 points which amazingly actually extrapolates to us being champions. Based on the current numbers Norwich get 89 and Leeds get 86.  This is why it's more likely that we regress to that nearer that norm... probably ending on somewhere between 75-80 points.

Basically a really long winded way of saying "If we keep winning we'll go up but if we revert to a mixed bag of results we might not".

PS. I look at this sort of stuff as I am uncomfortable with City winning in such a disciplined and well-executed manner. Witnessing Saturday's game has unsettled me. It's not natural.

The ‘one game at a time’ mantra is spot on.

Good and interesting thread but we just need to keep performing - confidence within the squad must be very high, as it should be, but as others have said, the key to where we end up is how we react to the inevitable loss.

It is going to happen, it’s football, but losses are going to happen to all of the teams in the mix - it’s the reaction to that that counts.

The OP’s mate thinks 10 points will be enough?

Does he mean from now till the end of the season? If so, not a chance that 10 points will be enough!

From here, I’d be saying a minimum of 20 - there’s 48 points available and we’re only in on GD at the moment...

Sorry if I’ve misread the OP, may be a whoosh moment.

Archived