IGNORED

The plan regarding promotion

EnderMB

23 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I remembers speaking to Steve many years ago after getting promoted and doing badly the next season. The year we bought Thorpe, Akinbiyi and Anderson I think.  He felt that we spent too much and changed too much and that the existing team with a few less additions might have done better. I think Scott Davidson was Chairman at the time. That might give a clue as to how he thinks, though he may view things differently now that he is a billionnaire and doesn't have to worry about HMRC.

My last job before retirement was in technical service for a printing/packaging company.

The golden rule when trying to solve customer problems on packing their products, was to only make one adjustment at a time. It's the only way to solve / find the fault or problem.

The same should be the route to take in football; if you want consistency, don't make too many changes in personnel and/or tactics.

The major drawback with taking that approach is the restrictive transfer window system means that we'd have to wait for the January window by which time it could be too late to stay up.

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Well, when it happens, hopefully lessons will have been learnt since our last first season of promotion to this league

Other than the ever-present long standing and wonderful Marina Dolman ( and her Rolls Royce) is there anyone left connected with the club from that time other than us fans??

It's like telling Berlusconi to beware the 'Eides of March'

P.S anyone who gets this point is clearly knowledgeable in politics and literature.

27 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Other than the ever-present long standing and wonderful Marina Dolman ( and her Rolls Royce) is there anyone left connected with the club from that time other than us fans??

It's like telling Berlusconi to beware the 'Eides of March'

P.S anyone who gets this point is clearly knowledgeable in politics and literature.

The Cheese still does a fair bit of hospitality stuff but not sure if any other players from that golden team do. Other than that, I don`t think there is anyone.

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

The Cheese still does a fair bit of hospitality stuff but not sure if any other players from that golden team do. Other than that, I don`t think there is anyone.

That's the point- no one closely connected with the club can possibly advise on what happened then and the fact is Prem football is a different planet to Div 1 in the 1970's.

New lessons will have to be learnt as and when we finally get there.

There are 2 very different ways that promoted teams go about it. 

1) Revel in the new found pot of cash and spend on foreign players who’ve never experienced English football, making wholesale changes, trying to integrate a new team and new players into a new league in a country in which they have no experience. Or

2) Stick with the solid foundations you’ve built over a period of time and complement this with a combination of young talent and experience, of whom have all played in English football. This method allows you to keep a settled squad who are comfortable with both the method of play the manager requires, and no need to have to try to settle countless new players into a new country as well as a new team and a new league. 

Bournemouth have done method 2 particularly well. I think they are in their 4th consecutive season in the top flight and in their first 3 years they only brought in 1 overseas player. They complemented their existing decent squad (their champ winning team has the following players still playing 4 years on in the prem - Francis, Gosling, Smith, Surman, Wilson, Fraser, Stanislas, Cook, Pugh, Daniels), by bringing in a steady stream of players with English leagues experience (season 1 Boruc, King, Murray, Grabban, season 2 Cook, Ibe, Ake, Wilshere, season 3 Begovic, Defoe). Now season 4 and they’ve started to bring a couple more foreigners in Lerma & Rico, but they’ve backed this up with continued known English league talent in Brooks, Solanke, Clyne and now Mepham. 

This is the kind of way I see City doing this if we ever go up. Our foundations are now built on a very solid plan - buy young talent, nurture it, give it exposure, and either cash in or use it when it’s ready. We’ve had the odd signing from abroad which has done ok but in the main our good recruitment is from those with English league experience. I see us continuing this. We will keep the majority of the squad together and complement it with a number of players who are familiar with English football (this season as an example wouldn’t surprise me if all 3 Chelsea loanees were to join permanently). Keeps the squad together and keeps disruption to a minimum in terms of settling in new players. 

We’d look to pick up one or two of the better non prem youngsters around, say for example a Clarke from Leeds (if they didn’t go up) and a Bowen from Hull. We may look at one more experienced prem pro, someone who’s no longer at peak prem level but can still do a job and provide nous. But we would continue to keep the foundations solid, by recruiting into the academy or 23’s and producing our own players, either for first team or to create funds. That’s the structure we have and we wouldn’t stray from that. 

One thing we definitely wouldn’t do is change everything up by buying a strike force from Montpelier & Copenhagen and a spine from Ingolstadt, Guadalajara and Malaga, of players who’ve never tasted English football and whom we’ve likely not scouted properly. 

Look at Bournemouth’s recruitment in the 2 years before promotion and the 4 years since. That is how to gradually build in the Prem. We’d do something similar I’d hope. What I wouldn’t want is a first 11 of 7 or 8 players from German Div 2, Midtable French, Peruvian & Uruguayan leagues who’ve never played in England. Too disruptive and I’d feel no sense of identity to the team. It’s got to be gradual. 

Fulham’s recruitment this year was baffling. Was there any need to sign 2 foreign goalkeepers when they already had Button & Betinelli. Was there any need to sign a French left back Le Marchand (who’s useless by the way), when they signed Bryan and already had one of the hottest left sided properties in Sessengon. Was there any need to sign 2 midfielders from the French league when they had one of the best ball-retaining midfields in Cairney, McDonald & Johansen. Surely just complement it with a player comfortable with English football. This is not the way to do it. 

26 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

Interesting post H , Where would you put Wolves , cos they seem to have got it right (apart from poor cup run of course! ?)

Wolves- and IMO you can add Watford into that too- are slightly different cases to Fulham vs Bournemouth tbh.

Wolves...have a superagent and a manager who has managed at high level- CL, La Liga to name 2. Also they arguably had a PL ready team in a lot of ways last year- their back 3 still the same, Neves a CL standard player, Jota, Cavaleiro and Helder Costa all getting game time- well they have upgraded but not gone mad like say a Fulham.

Watford- again have an interesting system, for 2 years plus time in the Championship they were trading players between Udinese who were doing well at this time, Granada and themselves. Granada were sold but still had trading between themselves and Udinese at times. Over time they have built on that base with profits, PL money and yeah clever recruitment too I guess-see the huge profit on Richarlison and are progressing upwards so far- being near London probably helps too.

Both of the above had a fair share of foreign players.

Neither of these models are either available or applicable to most sides though IMO

I agree with Harry that something like the Bournemouth model would be the best bet,- bit quick to write off foreign players IMO but no doubt Fulham showed not how to do it. Running before they can walk, signing 11 players in a summer, plus it taking a long while to get Mitrovic back, constant chopping and changing at GK- they had 6 loanees last season though which didn't help and they had Fredericks out of contract too- already lost Fredericks, Targett and Button for varying reasons in one summer- let alone Kalas, Norwood, Piazon, Ojo and until he rejoined,Mitrovic.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wolves- and IMO you can add Watford into that too- are slightly different cases to Fulham vs Bournemouth tbh.

Thats what I thought, thanks Mr P, there's more than one way to skin a cat as they say , and no set way.  Just looking , Wolves squad of 25 has 8 from Portugal, 2 from Spain, case for the manager to play with what you know and can communicate with?  Makes sense and didn't do a certain A Wenger any harm in recruiting players you know and  can communicate with naturally, its go to help surely?

Just not sure Suffolk  is a hotbed of natural footballing talent, so perhaps we are wise to start recruiting from the State of Chelsea ?

The team will always be greater that the sum of the parts, eventually, I think. As I think Lee is finding out now, with fewer changes week/ in week out.

6 hours ago, StGeorge said:

Really? Fair play, impressive if so. Queues must be massive though

Not necessarily, apparently they tend to start earlier and finish much later (gone midnight at the Bath game for example) Also because they can drink in their seats they are in and out throughout the game. £128k was taken across all the bars at the Bath game.

21 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Me and @SuperDziek do our bit ???

From the horses mouth, “rugby fans come in groups of 10/12 and buy half a dozen 2 pint jugs for every round”

6 hours ago, StGeorge said:

Interesting post H , Where would you put Wolves , cos they seem to have got it right (apart from poor cup run of course! ?)

Wolves already had premier league players before promotion, because of the "unusual" relationship between club, manager and agent.

P.S. Didn't read thread before posting, so see Mr P has already made the point.

Get promoted, then...

Moan at Lansdown for not spending enough

Moan at LJ for not winning enough

Moan at ticket prices 

Moan at having to play at any time other than 3pm on Saturday 

Moan at playing weakened teams in cup

Moan about VAR

Moan about Rovers being relegated (again) and dropping out the league

Think that about covers it!

If it happens, then great, but I’d hope we wouldn’t do a Fulham and blow our wad, and some, and have nothing to show for it, apart from a bunch of foreign players who want to leave as soon as they get relegated.

See if we can keep the Chelsea boys, perhaps add a few, but see if our boys can do a job. 

Use some of the money to buy the houses by the park and the remaining houses behind the SS, to allow for future expansion. Improve the infrastructure. Improve year on year 

It’ll be prudent to plan to stay up, as well as come straight back, so no point getting all Billy Big Balls with signing players on stupid money. Most teams going up tend to yoyo a bit, given the massive leap that has to be made. 

A cash injection of £100,000,000 provides the opportunity to complete the vision SL started, with the ground, etc. To risk it all on the roulette table that is a new team would be foolish and SL won’t allow that. 

20 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Plan A - Get promoted, bring Tammy Home

Plan B - See plan A 

Rumours are that Wolves were offering a very big contract when they attempted to sign him this window, I think even if we did get promoted we'd be looking at £60k a week minimum which I'm not sure we'd be able to stretch to, even with the insane money that comes with the Prem. Looking at Fulham they didn't buy certain players purely because the wages were too much and instead opted to pay bigger initial transfer fees to ensure they could balance their wages and they're still struggling, even with a Premier League winning manager at the helm.

I was reading what David Prutton said about us:

"You can look at Aden Flint, you can look at the goals of Bobby Reid and say, 'How on Earth do you replace that?' But they do and they share the responsibility around. Their top scorer is Famara Diedhiou with eight goals, which is ridiculous considering they are in the top six at the moment. With the momentum they've got, they should be looking to cement a place in the top six and I think people will be very wary of them."

It really shows that the pundits see us as a team lacking fire-power and my concern is that even if we can make it into the top 6 it ultimately comes down to a total of three games. In those three games we need to score goals in at least two of them and possibly against the one team with a better defensive record than our own, it'll be a tough ask.

If you look at the current top six and their strikers it's clear to see that we're still the underdog no matter how people look at it:

Norwich - Rhodes, Pukki
Leeds - Roofe, Bamford
Sheffield United - Sharp, Madine, McGoldrick, Hogan
WBA - Gayle, Rodriguez, Robson-Kanu
Middlesbrough - Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Hugill, Gestede
Bristol City - Diedhiou, Weimann, Taylor

Looking at those teams and the quality of strikers it's clear to see we're going to struggle against most of them. Sheffield United have so many prolific strikers they could actually sell us a couple and still be comfortable up front. 
I think our defence is going to step it up another notch if we make the play-offs and Diedhiou will need to be at his absolute best without missing key opportunities as he does fairly regularly this season.
I know it's been a massive discussion point but I genuinely think the lack of fire-power and competition in the striker area will be our undoing. 

I never even mentioned Birmingham but under Garry Monk they have hit a whole new level and Che Adams is on fire, I genuinely think they could be the team that manages to pip us to the last playoff spot come the end of the season.

With regards to if we did make it, well, I think we'd struggle massively based on LJ's inexperience in the Premier League and his proven track record of taking a fair amount of time to find his best team with a newly built squad. There is no way our current squad would remain the same in the Premier League as we already have a fair few who are arguably part-players at Championship level. I think we'd need at least 4-5 signings minimum to add quality and use some of our current squad as depth.

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Not likely to happen when the average rugby crowd spends 3 times what the average football crowd do behind the bars.

Indeed. And imo selling the football club is equally unlikely and my post was an admittedly obtuse way of saying I completely disagree with the point where's the joy was making.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Rumours are that Wolves were offering a very big contract when they attempted to sign him this window, I think even if we did get promoted we'd be looking at £60k a week minimum which I'm not sure we'd be able to stretch to, even with the insane money that comes with the Prem. Looking at Fulham they didn't buy certain players purely because the wages were too much and instead opted to pay bigger initial transfer fees to ensure they could balance their wages and they're still struggling, even with a Premier League winning manager at the helm.

It really shows that the pundits see us as a team lacking fire-power and my concern is that even if we can make it into the top 6 it ultimately comes down to a total of three games. In those three games we need to score goals in at least two of them and possibly against the one team with a better defensive record than our own, it'll be a tough ask.

If you look at the current top six and their strikers it's clear to see that we're still the underdog no matter how people look at it:

Norwich - Rhodes, Pukki
Leeds - Roofe, Bamford

Looking at those teams and the quality of strikers it's clear to see we're going to struggle against most of them. Sheffield United have so many prolific strikers they could actually sell us a couple and still be comfortable up front. 
I think our defence is going to step it up another notch if we make the play-offs and Diedhiou will need to be at his absolute best without missing key opportunities as he does fairly regularly this season.
I know it's been a massive discussion point but I genuinely think the lack of fire-power and competition in the striker area will be our undoing. 

I never even mentioned Birmingham but under Garry Monk they have hit a whole new level and Che Adams is on fire, I genuinely think they could be the team that manages to pip us to the last playoff spot come the end of the season.

With regards to if we did make it, well, I think we'd struggle massively based on LJ's inexperience in the Premier League and his proven track record of taking a fair amount of time to find his best team with a newly built squad. There is no way our current squad would remain the same in the Premier League as we already have a fair few who are arguably part-players at Championship level. I think we'd need at least 4-5 signings minimum to add quality and use some of our current squad as depth.

I wonder how the other 5 clubs goals scored from other players aside from strikers stack up against ours?

7 hours ago, Spike said:

Norwich - Rhodes, Pukki
Leeds - Roofe, Bamford

Yep compared to the teams around us our lack of goals could be our undoing 

England_-_Championship_table,_stats,_results,_form_and_standings_-_2019-02-12_17.57.48.png

8 hours ago, INCRED said:

I wonder how the other 5 clubs goals scored from other players aside from strikers stack up against ours?

Leeds - 14 different players scored

Norwich - 16 different players scored

West Brom - 16 different players scored

Sheffield United - 11 different players scored

Middlesbrough - 14 different players scored

Bristol City - 13 different players scored

Every team has had more players score for them than we have with the exception of Sheffield United who have 34 goals from their top two goalscorers alone. 

Archived