IGNORED

Bristol City v Birmingham City Matchday Thread

wendyredredrobin

• Admin
30 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I was being a **** in posting that and I want to see us in the top flight again.  I can’t tell whether we’re being ambitous or not?

Last season and this season we’re obviously in the mix but we just seem to fall short in these kind of games.  We must be where we are for a reason but this season I would have no confidence going into the playoffs. I get the approach, and it seems to be working but there just seems ‘something’ lacking.

It just doesn’t feel like balls to the wall time, it feels more like coasting.  

Maybe just my view on it.

My view (and I’m not alone) is the lack of quality up front, we haven’t got a prolific striker, we haven’t got a defender who scores like Flint used to, it’s goals that are costing us, not the conceding of them, but the difficulty in scoring of them.  That game could have been 2-2 or even 3-2, had we made the most of the forward movement, which looks OK until the ball into the box and the final touch - or not even getting to it as is often the case.

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I’m feeling a bit sick in the stomach after that.

We need to get back to being hard to beat before we think we’ve made it .

Agree, LJs losing streaks (not saying it’s one yet but...) often have this pattern. We get some momentum by playing solid, simple and as a team that is more than the some of its parts. Then we seem to start thinking we’re better than we are technically and start playing too expansive and losing our shape etc. We get dicked by a few teams, lose confidence and spiral into a shit run. LJ goes back to basics, gets the shape back, start playing more compact (there was so much distance between the lines tonight) and we string a few results together get some confidence and it all goes round again....

26 minutes ago, mozo said:

Is it a young team struggling with the pressure of expectation?

This myth of it being a ‘young ‘ team needs to stop.

6 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Pardon?

Middlesboro, LEEDS and especially derby are out of form   It’s the championship where anyone can beat anyone.  I didn’t expect a win tonight but I think we will beat Preston on Saturday as this season we have been picking up wins at places where we don’t normally get much 

surely we would have all taken where we are now at this point at the start of the season 

im sure some of the bizarre negative posts are just from Lonely people looking for a bite 

If I had the mindset of some of them I really wouldn’t bother following the city 

6 minutes ago, GoodridgeandGoater said:

We were winning games on clean sheets but don’t look like we have enough firepower to go and win 3-2 in a game like that.

Brum were like a Warnock team and I mean that at least as  half a compliment. Sort of side we always seem to struggle against. A very permissive ref then unpredictable ref didn’t help. Also showed centre-forwards with presence and menace can do. Having said that I thought Fam wasn’t bad today. Though if he hadn’t skyed that one in the first half things couldn’t been so different. 

And there lies the problem. We don't score enough goals. There was no way we could continue winning games 1/0.

No one in this division wins promotion scoring 55 goals.

Apart from Blackburn home who have we really put away?  Sheff Utd seem the opposite of us, they go for it from the off and can see them going up automatic.

26 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I hope they aren't feeling that way. They are in credit with most of us after performing exceptionally above expectations. Anything we achieve this season is a bonus not a demand.

Yep, Well said.......................considering we don't have a consistent recogniised goalscorer, were doing well.  If we make iit this season, then fantastic, but i personally think it will be next  when it happens.............but then who knows?  ?

We weren’t good enough tonight. Wide open for their first goal, when we just seemed to divide to let him shoot. That goal had been coming. The second goal was just an awful one to give away at an awful time -  a stupid free kick to concede and then we just allowed their player  to ghost in for the header. 

When we scored there was still plenty of time left, but it was all too comfortable for their defence.

Other observations:

Taylor held the ball up much better than Diedhiou.

Pato looked much more effective than Palmer.

Five goals conceded in two games is a concern - we need to get back to being hard to beat.

22 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

My view (and I’m not alone) is the lack of quality up front, we haven’t got a prolific striker, we haven’t got a defender who scores like Flint used to....

Eh? Shaun Taylor scored 7 goals for us in 4 years.....you probably meant Flint if you were talking about a defender who scored goals....

39 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

My view (and I’m not alone) is the lack of quality up front, we haven’t got a prolific striker, we haven’t got a defender who scores like Flint used to, it’s goals that are costing us, not the conceding of them, but the difficulty in scoring of them.  That game could have been 2-2 or even 3-2, had we made the most of the forward movement, which looks OK until the ball into the box and the final touch - or not even getting to it as is often the case.

I agree, Fammy looks out of his depth.  I know he’s scored but he isn’t the striker to take us to the prem imo.  I’m not sure i’ve been as frustrated with a striker for a while.

39 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

33 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

Pardon?

24 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Could you just clarify what it is that you are trying to say?

You're all lucky. I have Nostradamus sat behind me and some of the negativity is beyond belief.

We were ponderous tonight. Brum did a job on us, that's football. Move on.

Go and support Man City if you want to win every game.

We are getting our identity back. We are a good side. We have to learn to deal with teams who play a certain way. There will be more ups and downs before the end of the season, enjoy the ride.

1 hour ago, sephjnr said:

We have lost 3 and the performances are degrading as we go.

Agree.  It's not the loss that bothers me it's the performance.  Pack should have come off he was on a yellow and his Hollywood balls did **** all.  Palmer had the odd moment, but didn't track back.  We lost the ball far too easily. Brum just wanted it more. 

Seems Marlon is trying too hard, too many 30-40yd passes and the few that do come off often means the receiving player is isolated. He just needs to sit in front of our defence, keep it simple but quick. Let Brownhill, COD do all the running. Noticed he was flat footed in last 15mins.

Overall we looked disjointed and lost most second balls, Birm were well up for it and we wern’t.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I agree with you we are missing a quality striker  but also missing scoring easy goals from set peices  like blues did for their 2nd goal. I also think we are missing depth in cm where the break in march cant come soon enough for the squad . 

We cannot rely on Fammy and must adapt to the fact that on most occasions that he is expected to play FOOTBALL he is not capable of doing so, in space he can turn or head or create some sort of threat but he can’t play football so there is no point in passing to him if he’s not in space, we would be better playing with no front man!

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

I was being a **** in posting that and I want to see us in the top flight again.  I can’t tell whether we’re being ambitous or not?

Last season and this season we’re obviously in the mix but we just seem to fall short in these kind of games.  We must be where we are for a reason but this season I would have no confidence going into the playoffs. I get the approach, and it seems to be working but there just seems ‘something’ lacking.

It just doesn’t feel like balls to the wall time, it feels more like coasting.  

Maybe just my view on it.

And mine, and reckon were far from alone.

Archived