Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Vincent Vega

Should we let Semenyo loose against Leeds.

According to Radio Senior Citizen he made quite a difference having come on ahead of Matty Taylor.

Too early imo. We have a week to prepare and rest so I’d go almost the same lineup as today bar Kelly. Impact sub if needed but we were a bit more grindy today and needs to be that way against Leeds imo. 

• Like 12

Got to try and frustrate Leeds and lose their discipline and keep it tight until last 20 and then go for it and try and open them up

• Like 1

Without a doubt he should start.. Might put another thousand on the gate too with our first chance to see him  in action .

Strong bench too with COD , Eliasson or  Taylor  to bring on  upfront if ne tires .

COYR

• Like 1

Far too early. He was blowing like crazy at the end too. Like Kelly (who now seems to be the target of a lot of nonsense) and the other youngsters will blow hot and cold until they learn and find consistency. But he is certainly an option in games.

Glad we kept him, and hope we can develop him over the next few years into the real deal. 

• Like 6

I think Semenyo will get a lot of praise for today (and rightly so) but don't need to rush him. What won't be said as much is how much him coming on opened up Fammy's game. A reminder of how good his movement can be with someone up top with him taking up some of the physical work. Got himself into a number of positions and maybe could have been a bit sharper with his finishing. 

If it wasn't leads I might have been tempted to give him a go but better for him to be on the bench in the next one and come on.

• Like 2

On the stream I was watching he did very well and certainly did not look out place. But LJ will probably keep him on the bench.

Double impact subs with Taylor?

9 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Without a doubt he should start.. Might put another thousand on the gate too with our first chance to see him  in action .

Strong bench too with COD , Eliasson or  Taylor  to bring on  upfront if ne tires .

COYR

I don’t think there’s a thousand tickets left to sell!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

On the stream I was watching he did very well and certainly did not look out place. But LJ will probably keep him on the bench.

Double impact subs with Taylor?

No.  Build on the Sem/Fam partnership.  Both can score.

• Like 1

He should, but he won't.  Sadly, Johnson has gone too far with stability and is erring on the side of predictability.

I know I bang on about this , but yet another poor first half and a game we have had to chase. 

If we let Leeds get their snouts ahead  on Saturday,  we'll be looking at a big, fat null points.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Thought him and Fammy looked pretty good together.

Always wary of building players up to much based on a second half sub appearance, but looked very comfortable and made things happen. Our shooting is pretty poor at the moment, and he forced a really good save. Bit like Palmer might be best as a sub to make a difference, but if he is up for it, would be nice to occasionally start with two up front at home.

• Like 1

A very mature performance from him today. Was the first time ive seen him and i was impressed. Certainly a place on the subs bench at least for the games we still have to play. 

• Like 3

Only on as COD poor and carded, Taylor would surely have followed were it not for keeper injury. A positive for sure and another option. I'd start Taylor over Weimann just because he's such a wind up merchant. Break the Leeds flow.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He should, but he won't.  Sadly, Johnson has gone too far with stability and is erring on the side of predictability.

I know I bang on about this , but yet another poor first half and a game we have had to chase. 

If we let Leeds get their snouts ahead  on Saturday,  we'll be looking at a big, fat null points.

Agree lets start on the front foot, we can always take him off if he tires, but for me should start up front with Fammy.

I'd drop Weimann because for all his running there is little end product.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Take your point, but Taylor had an excellent scoring record for his previous club!

Got his chance and took it. Fair play to the lad. Gamble to start him v Leeds but certainly tempting on today's performance.

9 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Thought him and Fammy looked pretty good together.

Always wary of building players up to much based on a second half sub appearance, but looked very comfortable and made things happen. Our shooting is pretty poor at the moment, and he forced a really good save. Bit like Palmer might be best as a sub to make a difference, but if he is up for it, would be nice to occasionally start with two up front at home.

I can't believe we're still playing 1 up top at home so easy to defend and let's the opposition get a foot hold in midfield as Birmingham did tuesday. I've only seen us once dominate a game the whole 90mins at that was Swansea says alot about are play. I'd certainly start FD and AS against Leeds and put them on the back foot or will get punished. 

• Like 2

Came on and from what I saw from the stream I was watching held up the ball very well and linked up with others , aswell as the shots! But for him to start you have to drop Cod or Paterson, Neither which I would want to drop against a in form Leeds. I think Cod could get some joy out of Ayling even though didn't have the best game today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

I've only seen us once dominate a game the whole 90mins at that was Swansea says alot about are play.

Really? I think it says a lot about the Championship, and what a hard league it is. 

We’re just not going to dominate any matches for 90 mins. It’s unrealistic to think otherwise. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Came on and from what I saw from the stream I was watching held up the ball very well and linked up with others , aswell as the shots! But for him to start you have to drop Cod or Paterson, Neither which I would want to drop against a in form Leeds. I think Cod could get some joy out of Ayling even though didn't have the best game today.

No you don't, drop Weimann.

• Like 2

Ive come round to the 'keep it tight' way of playing now at home. Its been pretty boring so far, but we're in the top six so results now are more important for me. We all saw how changing things against brum, going with a more attacking look ended up. So id play our normal familiar formation, then switch it up in the last half hour with semenyo.

• Like 2

Would like to see him come on with 30 to go when his speed and strength will make most difference, not sure he's ready to start againt a very good Leeds side 

• Like 1

Go 3 up front against Leeds Fam, MT and Semenyo, hit it long and let Leeds handle a direct approach 

Pretty sure MT will wind up their defence and cause chaos and Semenyo can be our surprise package 

if we try and play through Leeds then it will play into their hands, needs a similar performance to the Sheffield Utd game

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Go 3 up front against Leeds Fam, MT and Semenyo, hit it long and let Leeds handle a direct approach 

Pretty sure MT will wind up their defence and cause chaos and Semenyo can be our surprise package 

if we try and play through Leeds then it will play into their hands, needs a similar performance to the Sheffield Utd game

Interesting view

49 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Yes. I can see this being a theme in training this week!...It’s a risk, but there it is, its the time of the season to have a go.

352 when attacking 532 when defending. 

As for Lloyd Kelly he did well today. I can’t understand anyone saying he was lousy. He got taken off because of the booking and we have a ready made replacement on the bench...If NM had not got injured I think we may have won, but there we are. Get the tough luck over with now...Capacity crowd next week, that will be fun!

• Like 1

Well, suggest almost nailed on we will start with a FD on is own BUT.... having listened to LJ  on radio Brizzle you simply never know.  I certainly feel he will play a role in our run in, and rightly so.  Gary Owers was full of praise for him (later when AS was interviewed transpired he lodged with him)   If he is good enough he is old enough, seems very strong.  I note on the PNE forum seem to think he was rather decent ! 

The trouble with only having Fam up front is that Leeds have probably the best two CBs in the division in Jansson and Cooper and they won`t let him have a sniff. If there was a game to try something different it`s this one IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

LJ in his interview said Semenyo is the best player at the club for holding the ball up and ‘wriggling and rolling’

This is what has been lacking IMO all season. Fam gets a lot of stick for not holding the ball up well (not easy as a lone striker) but with Semenyo taking it up it will give him more time and space. I understand people saying play it safe against Leeds but I think now is the time to be brave. He may well tire after 60 mins which is the perfect time for Taylor/Palmer.

Let’s do to Leeds what they did to WBA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

The trouble with only having Fam up front is that Leeds have probably the best two CBs in the division in Jansson and Cooper and they won`t let him have a sniff. If there was a game to try something different it`s this one IMO.

Jansson is very easily wound up though.

Could/should have been sent off in the first half against us a couple of seasons ago. Lost his temper at a burst ball at one point and kicked it out the ground.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Could/should have been sent off in the first half against us a couple of seasons ago. Lost his temper at a burst ball at one point and kicked it out the ground.

I know I was there and it was hilarious. He`s calmed down now though and doesn`t turn into a bombscare at the slightest provocation.

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Sounds perfect for Matty Taylor then! Wasn't this the fixture last year when one of their defenders got sent off after clashing with Taylor?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

I can't believe we're still playing 1 up top at home so easy to defend and let's the opposition get a foot hold in midfield as Birmingham did tuesday. I've only seen us once dominate a game the whole 90mins at that was Swansea says alot about are play. I'd certainly start FD and AS against Leeds and put them on the back foot or will get punished. 

You don't know anything about football tactics do you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Sounds perfect for Matty Taylor then! Wasn't this the fixture last year when one of their defenders got sent off after clashing with Taylor?

The year before I think - Berardi?. MT got sent off too I think but it was rescinded later. Essentially he was sent off for being headbutted.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Johnson seems to change the tactics every 10 games or so, we probably have 3 games before he is supposed to changes it. He tends to try and be stable for 10 games at a time.

I think his final hand may come out over the next couple of games though as other teams seem to have figured us out towards the end of this block of 10/12.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The year before I think, but could be wrong.

Great to see semenyo come in and do so well.

but people wanting to see taylor play just for his ability to wind people up, what the hell?? He offers practically nothing on the pitch!

• Aubergine 1

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

A few who saw the game today mentioned a lack of spark from some players , probably due tiredness. If that’s the case then chuck him in . He could be the spark we need for the run in. 

******* right... bollocks to it, what have we really got to lose? Lets go for it!!!!!

It’s great to hear that he made a positive impact when he came on today. Well done young man! 

However, I doubt his 3 goals in League 2 so far this season, are going to cause Leeds too many sleepless nights in the build up to next Saturday..! 

Lets not start heaping pressure and expectation on him, eh..!

Semenyo looked promising today,  More of a number 9, Who can hold the ball up and is physical. Link up between him and fam was class. Looking forward to seeing more of him this season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It’s great to hear that he made a positive impact when he came on today. Well done young man! 

However, I doubt his 3 goals in League 2 so far this season, are going to cause Leeds too many sleepless nights in the build up to next Saturday..! 

Lets not start heaping pressure and expectation on him, eh..!

Love it how we all think we’re playing champ man these days... get the ******* lad involved, if he’s good enough, he’s old enough!!!