IGNORED

Forget Yesterday - Team for Tuesday

Davefevs

18 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I bow to your superior knowledge on the football stats front sir. It is more my gut feeling about him as a player. 

No need to bow, i’m 6’1” ? 

Don’t get me wrong, I've not been a fan of MT...but he has helped improve a series of HOME games this season, and get us results.  He ain’t top class, but he has an effect.  He deserved a start ahead of Semenyo, and my ‘gut’ says it’s time to give him a chance over Diedhiou if only for one game.  I think he deserves that.

As 17 of his appearances are off the bench that probably skews the numbers I suspect. We have often gone 60-70 minutes being poor then on come 2 subs (could be any combo not just MT) and we start playing and get a goal late on.

Yep, in some respects he’s coming on v tired players, but you could argue, so did Semenyo v PNE.  Johnson has improved his consistency of selection logic this season, but I see the odd weird one creeping back in.  At RB especially.

So MT's stats may be affected by that, as much as his personal impact on the team. Possibly?

As my earlier post, a goal every 51 minutes over the season.  Since the start of our unbeaten run it’s a team goal per 33 minutes.  Fam is the same good run is team goal per 60 minutes....although he has scored 8 himself (Matty just the 1).

At the end of the day LJ will not pick my eleven, so it’s a bit futile!  But give Matty a start...one start!

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'd probably make a few big changes for this one. I'd leave out Pack and Diedhiou and go for a small, sharp, technical side. Busy little bees as LJ likes to say. That would not include Palmer as I don't think he works hard enough. Morrell alongside Brownhill and go for Taylor and Weimann up top like earlier in the season. Think we have been found out in recent games with our current team. It's a gamble, but sticking with the same kind of team is in a way a gamble when we are playing so badly. Let's pass the ball and press high. 

Good shout.....like the sound of that , Morrell passes the ball really well and you know Weinman and Matty won't stop running .....and their movement in the box is the best in the squad. Fam - for all his work and strength and laying off - has really poor box movement, he is always waiting for the ball to come onto him and never gambles and pulls off his man into space.  Gary Linekar said he never knew where the ball was going to arrive but simply concentrated on finding space in the 6 yard box and if he was lucky and the ball dropped for him he'd have an uncontested shot......and usually a goal.

I'd be inclined to give fam a rest, playing on his own up front with limited support is a thankless task. But watching Ipswich last night, noticed that the usual left back knudsen is playing CB. Not the tallest or strongest, so instruct diedhiou to play off him. 

Brownhill looked knackered too yesterday, in fact thought both midfielders were, so maybe time to bring Morrell or Walsh in for him. 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

O’Leary

Hunt | Kalas | Webster | Dasilva

Pack

Weimann | Palmer (Morrell) | Paterson | Eliasson

Taylor

Hunt must come back in, at home he is our best RB.  LJ must stop thinking about the armband.

Palmer and Paterson - you must be mad!  Yep, possibly.  If not Palmer then Morrell...forget Walsh, Morrell deserves to be ahead of him.  We need to play on the front foot...we need to go into the break on a high, feeling confident about creating and scoring at home.  We have only scored >1 in 5 home games.  Home form is our Achilles heel, and will be what stops us getting top 6.

Weimann back in, no brainer...was one of only a very small number who could receive and give a pass.  Wright got it to him 4 times (4 more than he managed to COD in double the minutes).  He also got it into Pack with little give-n-goes.

Eliasson - deserves a chance.  COD’s form has dipped.  Simple as that.  Don’t think it was COD’s fault yesterday.

Taylor - just as simple as “must be given a go”.  Him and Weimann can float a bit if need be, but I fancy him to get on the end of an Eliason cross more than Fam.

So there you have it.  A bold team selection, but we need bold.  Derby at home v Stoke....chance to win, put pressure on them, if not overtake them and with Boro playing PNE, one / both of them is gonna drop points.

Be bold Lee!

Think Pack is suspended as has 5 bookings after Saturday.

Would be inclined to change shape as not sure Morrell (or Walsh) can play in a two with Brownhill. 

Would be tempted to go 3 5 2.

18 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Think Pack is suspended as has 5 bookings after Saturday.

Would be inclined to change shape as not sure Morrell (or Walsh) can play in a two with Brownhill. 

Would be tempted to go 3 5 2.

He’s on 9, so has to avoid getting one on Tuesday or Sheffield Utd.

Think we should go 2 upfront and really attack this

Max

Hunt .......... Kalas .......... Webster .... Da Silva

Weimann .... Pack ..... Brownhill .... Eliasson

Taylor .... Diedhiou

Leaving Paterson out could be a harsh call but think he could be a very good impact sub

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

O’Leary

Hunt | Kalas | Webster | Dasilva

Pack

Weimann | Palmer (Morrell) | Paterson | Eliasson

Taylor

Hunt must come back in, at home he is our best RB.  LJ must stop thinking about the armband.

Palmer and Paterson - you must be mad!  Yep, possibly.  If not Palmer then Morrell...forget Walsh, Morrell deserves to be ahead of him.  We need to play on the front foot...we need to go into the break on a high, feeling confident about creating and scoring at home.  We have only scored >1 in 5 home games.  Home form is our Achilles heel, and will be what stops us getting top 6.

Weimann back in, no brainer...was one of only a very small number who could receive and give a pass.  Wright got it to him 4 times (4 more than he managed to COD in double the minutes).  He also got it into Pack with little give-n-goes.

Eliasson - deserves a chance.  COD’s form has dipped.  Simple as that.  Don’t think it was COD’s fault yesterday.

Taylor - just as simple as “must be given a go”.  Him and Weimann can float a bit if need be, but I fancy him to get on the end of an Eliason cross more than Fam.

So there you have it.  A bold team selection, but we need bold.  Derby at home v Stoke....chance to win, put pressure on them, if not overtake them and with Boro playing PNE, one / both of them is gonna drop points.

Be bold Lee!

Big call to leave Brownhill out Dave....

You should win but this league throws all manner of surprises from start to finish.     A point at West Bromwich yesterday pleased a number of our support, seems we showed character and improved on other performances before it but given the state of affairs for much of the season maybe it's not really saying much.    We had important players out particularly in forward positions but then again their home record was very poor going into the game.    Did either side deserve to win ?   Maybe not but a point is useless to both.      (Fair enough any score was arguably irrelevant to us given the league position and games remaining)

You'll be playing a team with nothing to lose / play for : which is probably why we showed more creativity than usual at the weekend.   Not ideally who you'd want to face in a promotion race but still believe the venue should swing it your way.     We won't just be there to make up the numbers however.  

For me, it doesn't matter who we play tomorrow, the winning feeling and confidence has been burst; we'll draw 1-1 and the top six will soon fade from our thoughts.

We needed to pick up as many points as possible going into our tough April (on paper), and we've been found woefully short.

19 hours ago, Dolman Original said:

Don’t understand everybody saying drop Semenyo. He’s put the lad in against a team that will probably be promoted but you don’t  want him to play against a relegated side (almost anyway). Personally would give him another hour or so. 

Agree but play him in him best position and drop Pato until he learns to tackle - bloody useless, runs like a greyhound and panics at the thought of a challenge.

31 minutes ago, RedDave said:

O’Leary
Hunt. Kalas. Webster. Dasilva
         Brownhill Morrell
Weimann. Paterson. Elliason 
               Taylor

Would love to see this team tomorrow night. 

I think you’ll to have to carry on loving.....

9 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I can see him dropping O'Leary 

Depends why they got the Kiwi in, cover for Max or did Max play because it was too short notice for the new guy to get to know the team.

Oleary had one flap , not much else wrong that I remember.

28 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Brownhill has been off form for the last half-a-dozen games, giving the ball away cheaply and making poor decisions when he has got forward. I'd drop him for Morrell or Kelly, but LJ won't drop either him or Pack.

Paul Ince took a brave decision on Saturday and rested 9 of his first XI in a game against play off contenders MK Dons. I assume he has written this game off as a chance to get his first team up to scratch again in a relegation fight.

Time will tell of course as to the wisedom of this decision, to write off one game for the possible good of nine games, but it’s interesting none-the-less. 

40 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Paul Ince took a brave decision on Saturday and rested 9 of his first XI in a game against play off contenders MK Dons. I assume he has written this game off as a chance to get his first team up to scratch again in a relegation fight.

Time will tell of course as to the wisedom of this decision, to write off one game for the possible good of nine games, but it’s interesting none-the-less. 

Ince?

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c864075447a37644d

O' Leary

Hunt    Kalas    Webster    Da Silva

Pack   Brownhill

Eliasson      Palmer        Paterson

Weimann

Would like to see Weimann put in the middle again - feel like he's wasted out wide and is one of our best finishers/poachers.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Depends why they got the Kiwi in, cover for Max or did Max play because it was too short notice for the new guy to get to know the team.

Oleary had one flap , not much else wrong that I remember.

I still feel that the ball travelled long enough and slow enough from Ayling to be intercepted by O’Leary tbh. Don’t think it would have got to Bamford with Niki in goal. With the flap you have to assume he got a shout from Wright so not sure what that was all about!! I suspect he will be given another go though.

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

Paul Ince? 

O'Leary

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly

Eliasson Pack Brownhill Paterson

Semenyo Diedhiou

Morrell a must on the bench after the midfield's performance vs Leeds. Get at them early on. Instead of Wright and Dasilva I'd switch sides and go Hunt and Kelly.

Play down the right and get Eliasson the ball. Paterson will drift in for chances.

10 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Brownhill has been off form for the last half-a-dozen games, giving the ball away cheaply and making poor decisions when he has got forward. I'd drop him for Morrell or Kelly, but LJ won't drop either him or Pack.

Bit harsh imho....was my MOTM v Wolves, and was decent enough against Norwich, but....

....LJ said his players ran the most miles against the canaries since the Manchester games.  LJ also said Josh’s physical stats were down, but Josh himself said he was ok.

The last 3 games (half of half a dozen ?) have shown the physical stats were right, and LJ should’ve trusted them.  What he now has is a playing running on empty....and Josh is a player who needs to be “at it”.

No coincidence that we’ve looked leggy as a team when one of your energetic players is going through the motions, that’s not criticism, just what I think is happening.  He’s lost his spark.

To my mind, there is no point starting / playing him tomorrow if he really isn’t 100%.  We can not afford to carry anyone at the mo’.

Archived