IGNORED

Tonight’s score watch. Completely unofficial!

REDOXO

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough - you’re happy with the borefest we watch every game at the moment I assume....each to their own....

What I see is a team at least trying to play football and up until the last couple of games they have been doing a pretty good job of it.  Presumably you were looking the other way when it was going well. Every time I have watched Preston play under that man, I have felt like the life has been sucked from my body and the joy I get from watching football has been slowly drained from me.

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

Always lots of posts on here in recent years saying how overrated the premier league is, especially whenever premier league teams were knocked out of Europe. That same premier league has just beaten the Bundesliga 17-3 over three ties. 

That said, Barcelona Messi and Juventus Ronaldo are still looking very strong in the Champions League this season, and Ajax looked resurgent against Real Madrid last week. Should be some decent quarter final ties.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Platini’s FFP rules to stop English dominance, may not have worked.  Ignoring flouting of the rules by his country’s dream team PSG, has meant the likes of Man City and Barcelona etc have just matched it, and there’s nowt they can do about it.  It’s perverse, but can be hypocritical!

With Rotherham’s win away tonight, Brum just 2 points above relegation zone when they lose their 12 points!!! ?

Barcelona haven't yet flouted FFP, Man City may have through fixed 3rd party deals..player sales play an increasing role in their (by which I mean Barcelona's) continued compliance (for now) though. I hope Ajax win it tbh.

Could this be the year Birmingham finally drop?? All that money spent and for what! :D

As for tonight's games. Big opportunity lost this week! Birmingham, Hull, Middlesbrough' and Nottingham Forest all lost. Derby drew- yes Middlesbrough and Nottingham Forest losing meant that Aston Villa and Preston won but also yeah Brentford lost last night.

A win last night would have put that little more heat on the chasing pack and Middlesbrough too.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for tonight's games. Big opportunity lost this week! Birmingham, Hull, Middlesbrough' and Nottingham Forest all lost. Derby drew- yes Middlesbrough and Nottingham Forest losing meant that Aston Villa and Preston won but also yeah Brentford lost last night.

A win last night would have put that little more heat on the chasing pack and Middlesbrough too.

Top 4 assured in my opinion.  5th and 6th to play for....no team actually requires a stellar run anymore....it’s all bunched up.

As for the CL. A very impressive round for the English clubs. First time in a while we've seen it at this level so a big step forward.

The trade off, and there are always trade offs, is that the competitive balance in the PL deteriorates further. Post Leicester's glorious miracle of a title, the top 6 have reached new heights. It's the top 6 and then a lot of fairly interchangeable sides now...just 3 years ago as well as Leicester, Man Utd finished 5th, Liverpool 8th.  In between Southampton 6th, West Ham 7th- Chelsea 10th?? Oh yes!

How times change.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Top 4 assured in my opinion.  5th and 6th to play for....no team actually requires a stellar run anymore....it’s all bunched up.

True, tend to agree. Don't think WBA will catch top 2 personally, think it's 2 of 3 who are increasingly proving themselves the best 3 this season IMO. WBA likely 4th but Middlesbrough and Derby definitely vulnerable.

Still feel we had to win last night though.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True, tend to agree. Don't think WBA will catch top 2 personally, think it's 2 of 3 who are increasingly proving themselves the best 3 this season IMO. WBA likely 4th but Middlesbrough and Derby definitely vulnerable.

Still feel we had to win last night though.

We all said must win.  In reality it wasn’t, but boy, would it have lifted the mood going into the break.

think villa will nick that 6th spot unfortunately though it's still in our hands so you never know with city, we could just as easily spark back to life, but oh! I wish Lee would try something a bit different and stop being so predictable with his tactics team selection and subs.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I quite fancy Sheffield Wednesday and PNE for the play offs....PNE with their already successful manager who is younger than LJ, has managed less games than LJ yet has two promotions on his CV, including taking Norwich into the premier league - yet some on here still say LJ is ‘inexperienced’.....

LJ wouldnt get away with the poor runs he goes on at any other club.Mr lansdown said he will be manager until he wants shot and that would include relegation and that is a terrible thing for lansdown to say

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

If you want to sit and watch anti-football for ever more it is. 

Would argue Neill more of a pragmatist. Since mid Jan they have in general increased possession, chances and goals- but he picks his matches in which to do this...vs us most definitely spoiling tactics. Vs varied other sides? Not so much.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would argue Neill more of a pragmatist. Since mid Jan they have in general increased possession, chances and goals- but he picks his matches in which to do this...vs us most definitely spoiling tactics. Vs varied other sides? Not so much.

I have no idea, I can only go by the evidence of my own eyes, and I wouldn't watch Preston play other than against us, if they were playing on the green outside my house. The statistics can tell you such a different story from the actuality anyway.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have no idea, I can only go by the evidence of my own eyes, and I wouldn't watch Preston play other than against us, if they were playing on the green outside my house. The statistics can tell you such a different story from the actuality anyway.

True...his Norwich side were quite watchable though. They set up vs us that way I believe because they know very well that isl how to beat us (most of the time). Some sides set up differently for different opposition- great when it works, but LJ has often been criticised on here for doing similar.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True...his Norwich side were quite watchable though. They set up vs us that way I believe because they know very well how to beat us (most of the time). Some sides set up differently for different opposition- great when it works, but LJ has often been criticised on here for doing similar.

Oh don't get me wrong I love a good defensive performance, we had a few last season. But I am on about the pushing the legal aspects of the game.

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for the CL. A very impressive round for the English clubs. First time in a while we've seen it at this level so a big step forward.

The trade off, and there are always trade offs, is that the competitive balance in the PL deteriorates further. Post Leicester's glorious miracle of a title, the top 6 have reached new heights. It's the top 6 and then a lot of fairly interchangeable sides now...just 3 years ago as well as Leicester, Man Utd finished 5th, Liverpool 8th.  In between Southampton 6th, West Ham 7th- Chelsea 10th?? Oh yes!

How times change.

Impressive indeed! Given UEFA an almighty headache tho, as all 4 English teams could draw foreign opposition, beat them and we'd end up with all English semis and final. What price all 4 English teams drawing each other? I can see/hear UEFA practising the draw again and again and again.....

29 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Impressive indeed! Given UEFA an almighty headache tho, as all 4 English teams could draw foreign opposition, beat them and we'd end up with all English semis and final. What price all 4 English teams drawing each other? I can see/hear UEFA practising the draw again and again and again.....

Depends what you want though- PL has a worse competitive balance than ever I'd say. Certainly in PL era...as for CL, two real outsiders in this draw though, Ajax and Porto. Ajax reproduce form that saw them thump Real Madrid, even against a Real Madrid on the wane and there's only one real gimmee of a side (Porto). Strong last 8 this year- and yet in some ways an open one too.

Big 6 pts v the other 2/3 of the League, higher than ever. Maybe GD too- will have to look.

To win 6 away games on the spin you have to dig in sometimes and ride the storm, waste time, break up the game. None of our fans give a damn about this. We'd rather be nasty in that sense and take the points, and not be pushovers.

We have good players but teams like us with smaller budgets don't have the technical players to waltz into other Championship grounds and play people off the park for 90 minutes. We have to do the dirty side of the game well.

As it happens, the majority of fans have very much enjoyed Alex Neil's football since he joined. We press teams high up the pitch, score quite a lot of goals and go for the win when it's evenly balanced, rather than settling for draws which was Grayson's mentality usually.

8 hours ago, pnefcok said:

To win 6 away games on the spin you have to dig in sometimes and ride the storm, waste time, break up the game. None of our fans give a damn about this. We'd rather be nasty in that sense and take the points, and not be pushovers.

We have good players but teams like us with smaller budgets don't have the technical players to waltz into other Championship grounds and play people off the park for 90 minutes. We have to do the dirty side of the game well.

As it happens, the majority of fans have very much enjoyed Alex Neil's football since he joined. We press teams high up the pitch, score quite a lot of goals and go for the win when it's evenly balanced, rather than settling for draws which was Grayson's mentality usually.

I wish we were better at the gamesmanship side of things. 

On 13/03/2019 at 22:51, Port Said Red said:

Every time I have watched Preston play under that man, I have felt like the life has been sucked from my body and the joy I get from watching football has been slowly drained from me.

..... PNE on fire! Six away wins in a row and now four wins and a draw from their last five fixtures....their ‘anti football’ (as you called it) under Mr Neil is reaping rewards, they have charged past us....and their ‘gaffer’ has previous in getting promoted from the championship into the premier league....despite Alex ‘anti football’ Neil having managed in less games than our ‘inexperienced’ head coach....for ‘anti football’ read ‘streetwise’ which ultimately equates to ‘successful’....

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

..... PNE on fire! Six away wins in a row and now four wins and a draw from their last five fixtures....their ‘anti football’ (as you called it) under Mr Neil is reaping rewards, they have charged past us....and their ‘gaffer’ has previous in getting promoted from the championship into the premier league....despite Alex ‘anti football’ Neil having managed in less games than our ‘inexperienced’ head coach....for ‘anti football’ read ‘streetwise’ which ultimately equates to ‘successful’....

But I watch football to be entertained. I couldn't bear our football under Pulis or Osman and would find numerous excuses not to go to games. Whats the point?  If you are so enamoured with Preston and Alex Neal, I suggest you are currently supporting the wrong team.

Anyway, they have "stormed past us" by playing two more games than us and are only 2 points ahead of us. As far as away form is concerned, they have played two more away games than us yet have accumulated one less point from those games. 6 away games in a row is worthy of praise, as worthy of praise as a 9 game winning streak, but I don't remember you being so enthusiastic about our run as you are being about another teams, strange that.

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But I watch football to be entertained. I couldn't bear our football under Pulis or Osman and would find numerous excuses not to go to games. Whats the point?  If you are so enamoured with Preston and Alex Neal, I suggest you are currently supporting the wrong team.

Anyway, they have "stormed past us" by playing two more games than us and are only 2 points ahead of us. As far as away form is concerned, they have played two more away games than us yet have accumulated one less point from those games. 6 away games in a row is worthy of praise, as worthy of praise as a 9 game winning streak, but I don't remember you being so enthusiastic about our run as you are being about another teams, strange that.

You don’t remember me being enthusiastic about our long unbeaten run? Amongst other things, I posted the table on here showing we we were the team in Europe with the best form etc....suggest your memory is a bit selective...strange that...but I actually agree with you in some ways. Even when we were doing well, I posted on here about the lack of entertainment and how some weren’t happy with the way we were playing. It was very turgid and boring and we weren’t being entertained....but I will never scoff at teams who play differently but are more successful...Cardiff last season and PNE this season....seem to get saddled with the ‘anti football’ tag by you and many others, but they are more streetwise and do better than us...

27 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You don’t remember me being enthusiastic about our long unbeaten run? Amongst other things, I posted the table on here showing we we were the team in Europe with the best form etc....suggest your memory is a bit selective...strange that...but I actually agree with you in some ways. Even when we were doing well, I posted on here about the lack of entertainment and how some weren’t happy with the way we were playing. It was very turgid and boring and we weren’t being entertained....but I will never scoff at teams who play differently but are more successful...Cardiff last season and PNE this season....seem to get saddled with the ‘anti football’ tag by you and many others, but they are more streetwise and do better than us...

As much as their football gets results, it is incredibly turgid and is very much anti-football in many respects. 

I know some people would rather watch their side pick up points through playing boring football, but I go to be entertained, and warnocks Cardiff And Neil’s Preston don’t always provide quality entertainment...

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

As much as their football gets results, it is incredibly turgid and is very much anti-football in many respects. 

I know some people would rather watch their side pick up points through playing boring football, but I go to be entertained, and warnocks Cardiff And Neil’s Preston don’t always provide quality entertainment...

But, as my post said, even when we were on that fine unbeaten run, there wasn’t much entertainment, it was boring most of the time and there was considerable debate about that on here at the time. Yes, we were getting results, but we weren’t being entertained...so, we were doing whatever it took, and whatever suited our players to get results - just like Cardiff and PNE - you say those two don’t provide quality entertainment....but neither do we....unless you feel you are being ‘entertained’ with an isolated lone striker with little or no support up there...

I’m pretty entertained when we win .

Losing every week whilst playing exciting football is not my idea of fun, more like soul destroying.

There is no law which says you have to do one or the other though .

For what it’s worth I believe that many of our problems are to do with this myth of City playing beautiful football.

We could  out play many sides in the lower divisions because we generally had the best players  but to progress we need to be more pragmatic because we can’t have a team of players better than the bigger clubs who pay more wages .

LJ appears to have addressed this by going to one up front and packing out the midfield but then when we hit the top six he comes over all Barcelona and we start getting done over by better teams.

I just want to see our lads giving 100% on the pitch .

I actually quite enjoyed watching Cardiff last season.  Plenty of penalty box action, players like Hoilett turning full-backs inside out.  They got it forward quick, and although they did have some games that were like head-tennis, in the main they were entertaining by creating chances, something to get off your seat for.

I’ve seen less of Preston, but they aren’t dissimilar in terms of getting the ball forward.

As for us, we have been less entertaining (at home anyway), but personally I quite like a game that is a bit chess-like.  We have t been exciting throughout a 90 minutes at Ashton Gate all season imho.

Anti-football / dark arts, winds me up, but that is predominantly weak refereeing....but because teams employ that does not correlate to being boring to watch.  It’s about stopping your opponents, and they make it work.  When they gave the ball it us very different.

Archived