IGNORED

City to spend big in the summer

Major Isewater

I think it is possible that we may spend more this summer than normal.

That could be because of our FFP position and it could also be because I think we are going to have to increase our spending or lose our HC.

I am more and more convinced that Lee is starting to think that he cannot achieve his short / medium term personal goals here.

He is hugely ambitious and I think frustration may be getting to him.

I don’t think SL wants to lose him for a number of reasons so, FFP considerations taken in to account, I think he is going to authorize some, for us, significant spending.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

No......he (whoever he is..........:facepalm:)  will not have inside information. 

I seriously doubt LJ will have the budget to afford top Championship quality players, particularly strikers who’ll come with high wedge demands which SL won’t fund.

LJ will be working next season under the same restraints - unless City are promoted to the PL and then it’ll be all change..

Man who demonstrably has no inside knowledge accuses man of having no inside knowledge based on his gut feeling.

Just now, Robin1988 said:

Man who demonstrably has no inside knowledge accuses man of having no inside knowledge based on his gut feeling.

Nobody needs ‘inside information’ if, as I do they follow everything City related. It’s easily available online. Bugger all to do with gut feeling.

6 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Base my reason on Gregor on the fact he quotes football magazines and online equivalent rather than a club source etc. 

What ever he does next season is irrelevant, just stand back and look at the ground he has built , I know some will say it not the same ,poor atmosphere, soul less bowl etc ,but it is truly amazing. I’m sure the atayo will be incorporated into the bowl one day and will look totally amazing, we’re kind of use to it now but anyone coming for there first game always say the concourse has good variety and the fan zone is a good idea . We’re light years ahead of them down the road in every sense and they fxxxing know it ....

10 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Think it will happen like this. Feels like we’ve been building a good financial record so we are able to push next year. 

I actually agree and said as much a couple of months ago. I think we will see a busy summer and a fair wad of cash spent... especially if we finish in the play offs or 7th or 8th say.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Absolute rubbish.....my Dad was a sports journo - he had to get out there and talk to people to get stories - owners, directors, players, managers, fans, ex players etc etc....he put in thousands of miles a month to get info and feature material....nowadays? Google, cut and paste, never leave the desk....yeh, what a tough job....

Still doesn’t seem that long ago that I was buying an Evening Post to find out if we’d signed anyone!

8 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Think it will happen like this. Feels like we’ve been building a good financial record so we are able to push next year. 

Coincides with a few clubs having to massively cut down their wage bill’s next season due to losing parachute payments or their gambles not paying off for them, unless they manage to go up this season ie, Villa, Derby, Sheff Weds, Forest, Birmingham could all find themselves in trouble next season, I think if LJ gets this summer transfer window right ie keeping the core of this squad together, moving on some bit part players Watkins, O’Dowda to seems to be off, hoping we can persuade Kalas to stay, and strengthening where we need to then I really do think we can make a very good go of it next season, although this season is far from over yet.......

19 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Just a little thing I picked up on Robin’s on the Wire GM said that City will spend big this Summer regardless of the division we’re in .

Does he have inside information ?

Are we really going to finally step up in quality throughout the squad ?

We won't spend big

We haven't spent big in two January transfer windows when we have been in the top 6, we won't start now 

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Does anyone spend big in January?

I just don't see why the club would suddenly change direction and start spending big. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love them to invest in some real, proven quality

We have seen slow improvement season on season, so why would they change it?

I disagree with the  comments about stripping back the squad. One of the reasons we are still in and around the play off positions is because we have a much bigger squad this season and have been able to cope with injuries, fatigue, suspensions etc. 

19 hours ago, where's the joy said:

Be careful about what we wish for.

As soon as SL buys promotion he will sell the football club and we will end up in the hands of either a Far East, Middle East or American investor.

The only way he can recoup his investment is through selling 'the potential' from being in the premiership.

Quite why we have wasted money on one's for the future like engval, moore, eisa etc when that money would have bought a 20 goal a season striker is beyond me.

Cotterill was right to keep some of the subs places empty in his reign and to ask for proven quality, not quantity that 'might work one day'

Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Nicholas Eliasson were all ones for the future once. The Pauli’s signings were largely ‘established professionals’. Not saying You are wrong but quality can take a while to show through. 

3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I disagree with the  comments about stripping back the squad. One of the reasons we are still in and around the play off positions is because we have a much bigger squad this season and have been able to cope with injuries, fatigue, suspensions etc. 

Have we though ? 

The last months results disprove your statement a bit . Before the break we looked lethargic.

I wonder if we might just  bring in a bit more quality and use the talented U 23’s to bolster the match day squad.

Maybe ‘ spending big ‘ means signing the three Chelsea loanees on permanent deals and adding a Championship experienced striker .

We are surely going to see some outgoings as well.

I’d be very surprised if Frankie , COD or Baker are with us at the start of next season.

18 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

What ever he does next season is irrelevant, just stand back and look at the ground he has built , I know some will say it not the same ,poor atmosphere, soul less bowl etc ,

Never heard it called a soulless bowl, indeed it certainly is not in the style of Reading, Southampton etc.

Indeed all visiting fans and media always complimentary about the Gate, including most recently the U23 (or 21) who Commented on amazing  atmosphere generated. 

I've always been for pushing the budget a bit further, but given that we're not a million miles away from a playoff place this season, despite losing a number of key players, I think I'd rather see that money invested directly into our facilities and academy.

If given the choice - an extra £2-3m on transfers, or a Category 1 academy with top-tier coaching, which would you choose? If we're close to the playoffs this year I think I'd choose the latter.

Said for a while, don't think we'll diverge from the 'buying potential' strategy.

But as time goes on and some of those players realise their potential and make us money, we will go for (and be able to attract) a higher calibre of potential, which will cost more.

On 30/03/2019 at 15:45, BS4 on Tour... said:

Absolute rubbish.....my Dad was a sports journo - he had to get out there and talk to people to get stories - owners, directors, players, managers, fans, ex players etc etc....he put in thousands of miles a month to get info and feature material....nowadays? Google, cut and paste, never leave the desk....yeh, what a tough job....

That last sentence is very subjective. 

For lots of journalists it's incredibly tough to make any headway in the sporting world. Ex pros are now getting lots of the top jobs and so for an up and coming journalist, or even an experienced one, getting work and creating good content is very tough

On 30/03/2019 at 15:29, RedDave said:

Only need three players 

Is this based on the current squad? If so then we also need to consider who is going to be sold and who is not making their loan permanent.

Kalas - Most likely going to Celtic based on interest shown, although we already know he'll be hard to hold onto.
Dasilva - I thought he'd be a likely signing because of our agreement of a fee but from recent suggestions, he may not want to stay so he's 50/50.
Kasey Palmer - Another 50/50 although I think he'll go back to Chelsea either to be reloaned or sold.

Those 3 are very questionable, then you have:

O'Dowda - Highly likely to be gone in the summer based on having not signed a new contract
Webber - He's drummed up attention with his performances
Kelly - Rumours earlier this season, although I feel these may have cooled off after recent performances.
Pisano - Rumours that he'll be off
Maenpaa - Another rumoured to be off too

All in all I think we'll be pretty busy in the summer, especially if we want to have depth for next season.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

We won’t spend big as we won’t risk breaching ffp, espaclly now Birmingham have been deducted points

first thing we’ll do is retain players, then add 3 maybe

anyone thinking we’ll spend big is deluded

Spending big doesn’t mean overspending just a balancing of quality over quantity.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Is this based on the current squad? If so then we also need to consider who is going to be sold and who is not making their loan permanent.

Kalas - Most likely going to Celtic based on interest shown, although we already know he'll be hard to hold onto.
Dasilva - I thought he'd be a likely signing because of our agreement of a fee but from recent suggestions, he may not want to stay so he's 50/50.
Kasey Palmer - Another 50/50 although I think he'll go back to Chelsea either to be reloaned or sold.

Those 3 are very questionable, then you have:

O'Dowda - Highly likely to be gone in the summer based on having not signed a new contract
Webber - He's drummed up attention with his performances
Kelly - Rumours earlier this season, although I feel these may have cooled off after recent performances.
Pisano - Rumours that he'll be off
Maenpaa - Another rumoured to be off too

All in all I think we'll be pretty busy in the summer, especially if we want to have depth for next season.

I wasn't aware of that Spike, not that I doubt you at all. What's been suggested regarding JDS?

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I wasn't aware of that Spike, not that I doubt you at all. What's been suggested regarding JDS?

Just the wording around him staying, earlier on in the season it was very positive but recently it's been a bit more "if he stays" if you get me? Nothing concrete at all, just tone more than anything. I also wonder if his confidence is growing and he's getting a lot of attention, after all he's keeping Kelly out of the team quite often and Kelly is supposed to be the next big talent from us.

Archived