IGNORED

New badge - interview with the designers

lenred

they haven't updated the badge on the website yet - i would have thought the rebrand came with a strategy that meant it was updated everywhere possible at the same time?

or perhaps they will redesign the website to be in line with the font and branding?

Just now, Antman said:

they haven't updated the badge on the website yet - i would have thought the rebrand came with a strategy that meant it was updated everywhere possible at the same time?

or perhaps they will redesign the website to be in line with the font and branding?

The branding is not officially changing until after the season. As per the article that announced the new badge:

"The robin will become more prominent around Ashton Gate throughout the summer with the final changeover across all club assets to be ahead of the 2019/20 season"

54 minutes ago, Antman said:

The website and the badge branding are handled by two different agencies - Gibe and Mr B and Friends. To be honest, it's much better to roll this out gradually, because trying to coordinate a website build and a brand revamp concurrently is a recipe for disaster, during a time where the fans might already be annoyed by the change in design. If a redesign is happening, it'll probably be done during the summer.

I've worked in a handful of design agencies in Bristol, and one of the things that always annoyed me about them was the amount of self-congratulation that goes on. As I've said before, I don't doubt that the designers that worked on the new badge are very talented, but I would hope to see the club perform a public retrospective on the design process. For a football club, I'd say that a survey simply isn't enough to get a good gauge on what the fans want. I would've expected at least several focus sessions with key parts of the fan base with numerous options.

The more I look at the badge, the more I like it, but IMO the round badge makes it a bit too clean, and a bit too similar to the Man City redesign.

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

A consultation by the studio was carried out with fans as part of the design process — this included a survey emailed to season ticket holders, which received more than 3,350 responses, and a focus group crayon session with Jon and Mark.

If that's right, then we either we have a lot of season ticket holders that aren't bothered, didn't get their surveys possibly because they haven't updated their email addresses (or the new platform for match tickets mucked that up as well), or they can't read....

Personally, the more I see it the better it is.

2 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

The website and the badge branding are handled by two different agencies - Gibe and Mr B and Friends. To be honest, it's much better to roll this out gradually, because trying to coordinate a website build and a brand revamp concurrently is a recipe for disaster, during a time where the fans might already be annoyed by the change in design. If a redesign is happening, it'll probably be done during the summer.

I've worked in a handful of design agencies in Bristol, and one of the things that always annoyed me about them was the amount of self-congratulation that goes on. As I've said before, I don't doubt that the designers that worked on the new badge are very talented, but I would hope to see the club perform a public retrospective on the design process. For a football club, I'd say that a survey simply isn't enough to get a good gauge on what the fans want. I would've expected at least several focus sessions with key parts of the fan base with numerous options.

The more I look at the badge, the more I like it, but IMO the round badge makes it a bit too clean, and a bit too similar to the Man City redesign.

i hear you. (i was just wondering if they would actually manage to implement the font 'brand wide'  - has it been thought through to that extent)

the way the date is placed is my big bugbear, could have been done in so many other ways IMHO

I like it, but it is horribly similar to Brentford's badge in terms of the roundal and lettering

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

The branding is not officially changing until after the season. As per the article that announced the new badge:

"The robin will become more prominent around Ashton Gate throughout the summer with the final changeover across all club assets to be ahead of the 2019/20 season"

ah yes, thanks

note to self - read to the bottom of the page - gets me every time! ;) 

Saw this on LinkedIn and whilst the advertising agency need to self promote, it is good to see their approach to this. Buggered if I’ve ever heard of the fonts they used though!

As others have stated the design does grow on you, although I do miss the bridge, but the robin when used on its own may prove to be a powerful/recognisable symbol and because of the shape the bridge, probably, doesn’t work with it.

2 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Saw this on LinkedIn and whilst the advertising agency need to self promote, it is good to see their approach to this. Buggered if I’ve ever heard of the fonts they used though!

As others have stated the design does grow on you, although I do miss the bridge, but the robin when used on its own may prove to be a powerful/recognisable symbol and because of the shape the bridge, probably, doesn’t work with it.

Mind you could have been worse, here are a couple of pin badges from 1970’s, if not before!

4569046E-0584-4923-8561-DF8C87CE5354.jpeg

4 hours ago, Taz said:

If that's right, then we either we have a lot of season ticket holders that aren't bothered, didn't get their surveys possibly because they haven't updated their email addresses (or the new platform for match tickets mucked that up as well), or they can't read....

They may well be discounting the responses along the lines of "LJ is a tosser, I'm never going down again until he's gone", which I gather were quite numerous.

Archived