IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

So we done it! Can't believe it really and still in shock. I know to you lot it's just little league one but after relegation from the league things could have got much worse but we came back so much stronger. Yesterday was one of the most dominant games I've ever saw and it really had the feeling to it that Accrington would slip up but so would we.

I guess now is the time to see if Wael is as good as we all hope, one thing is for sure and he can't do a worse job than Higgs managed! 

Keeping hold of DC will be key, he's not had the budget the likes of Buckle, McGhee and Ward had in league 2 and something like 16 of our squad were part of the conference squad and he built a squad that really played for eachother, and there was really no stand out players, everyone just worked their socks off and played for the shirt. 

So basically it's 2007/08 all over again with City being in the Championship and Rovers in League One. I feel we're better prepared for it this time but I would snap your hands off if we were offered 20th now. Your season will be interesting and I know it's way too early to be making predictions but if you recruit well I can see you having a good go next season. Both of us will be fending off offers for our top striker and you no doubt have the money to say no, I'm just hoping we do too now! 

• Like 9

You have to give them credit for winning 2 promotions after probably their most embarassing season in their history.

Is League 1 really that big of a step though? I would have to say no.

The big step is League 1 to Championship IMO.

As for Matt Taylor, he is just a poor mans Kemar Roofe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Are you going to be having an open top bus parade, for finishing third in League Two, ahead of Accrington Stanley on goal difference??

That is a given. It's the permission for a 'national' holiday to be declared in Kingswood, Staple Hill and Fishponds that's being finalised this morning.

23 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

So we done it! Can't believe it really and still in shock. I know to you lot it's just little league one but after relegation from the league things could have got much worse but we came back so much stronger. Yesterday was one of the most dominant games I've ever saw and it really had the feeling to it that Accrington would slip up but so would we.

I guess now is the time to see if Wael is as good as we all hope, one thing is for sure and he can't do a worse job than Higgs managed! 

Keeping hold of DC will be key, he's not had the budget the likes of Buckle, McGhee and Ward had in league 2 and something like 16 of our squad were part of the conference squad and he built a squad that really played for eachother, and there was really no stand out players, everyone just worked their socks off and played for the shirt. 

So basically it's 2007/08 all over again with City being in the Championship and Rovers in League One. I feel we're better prepared for it this time but I would snap your hands off if we were offered 20th now. Your season will be interesting and I know it's way too early to be making predictions but if you recruit well I can see you having a good go next season. Both of us will be fending off offers for our top striker and you no doubt have the money to say no, I'm just hoping we do too now! 

Isn't your 'star' striker out of contract though?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

You have to give them credit for winning 2 promotions after probably their most embarassing season in their history.

It's one of those divisions that if you prepare right you'll do well. I'll be amazed if they go down from league 1 next year.

5 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Probably not, certainly at the lower end as we saw in 14/15.

I think I could have a fair stab at the top ten for next season now; Bolton, Coventry, Blades, Peterborough, Charlton, MK, Bradford, Barnsley, Millwall,(one of those last three could go up though) plus Pompey if they get through the playoffs. There`s usually one that`s been average this season but will do well next - someone like Oldham or Southend probably.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Probably not, certainly at the lower end as we saw in 14/15.

I think I could have a fair stab at the top ten for next season now; Bolton, Coventry, Blades, Peterborough, Charlton, MK, Bradford, Barnsley, Millwall,(one of those last three could go up though) plus Pompey if they get through the playoffs. There`s usually one that`s been average this season but will do well next - someone like Oldham or Southend probably.

I wouldnt forget clubs like Gillingham, Scunny, Vale, Walsall and so on...

L1 is an incredibly tough league and with the promoted sides, Oxford/Northampton and maybe Portsmouth...

The one plus is they may finish 23rd, just above Swindle. So not all bad...

2 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

L1 is an incredibly tough league and with the promoted sides, Oxford/Northampton and maybe Portsmouth...

I dont think we appreciate how well we did last season its not easy to win any title. When you look at other teams in that league there is no reason why rovers shouldnt be in there competing.

On a side note lots of rovers about last night but everytime they tried chanting me and the boys quickly overwhelmed them with irenes a prostitute chant!

COYR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Most teams in that league with the exception of the `rich` ones like Blades rely on investing wisely after selling one good asset - Gillingham with Dack ,Southend with Bentley, Oxford with Roofe or Walsall with Bradshaw. Get that investment wrong and it all goes pear shaped - case in point, Port Vale had several chances to cash in on Tom Pope but let him run his contract down and leave on a free.

13 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

It's one of those divisions that if you prepare right you'll do well. I'll be amazed if they go down from league 1 next year.

They have money now and if they use it wisely I can see them doing really well. 

That said they have a shitty stadium and cabbage patch pitch so attracting better players will be difficult - just as its not so simple attracting players to us despite having money and a decent pitch and a redeveloped Ashton Gate.

its the fact that Bristol is seen in the football world as backwater and some players don't want to come here because of it.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Are you going to be having an open top bus parade, for finishing third in League Two, ahead of Accrington Stanley on goal difference??

It's unfair to frame the question like that. Achievement and success is always relative. We had an open bus top tour in 2006 for finishing second to S****horpe in League One. Hardly the Champions League.

They've done very well to turn around relegation out of the league with two successive promotions and I don't think it's unreasonable that they celebrate that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's unfair to frame the question like that. Achievement and success is always relative. We had an open bus top tour in 2006 for finishing second to S****horpe in League One. Hardly the Champions League.

They've done very well to turn around relegation out of the league with two successive promotions and I don't think it's unreasonable that they celebrate that.

Whilst you make a fair point it is fairly framed in response to and in the context of 'are you watching Ashton Gate?'

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Can't be too long now until footage emerges of Dopey in a shithole of a pub doing his "I'm just a poor boy from a poor family" routine.

Thunderbolts & lightning, very very frightening ?

Oh no wait....that was Wycombe, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That said they have a shitty stadium and cabbage patch pitch so attracting better players will be difficult - just as its not so simple attracting players to us despite having money and a decent pitch and a redeveloped Ashton Gate.

Thinking about it. Is there a crapper stadium in the 92? Maybe Luton, Accrington, Crawley and Stevenage. The eyesore that straddles the half way line looks pathetic. There can't be much more than 2k seats in the place.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't remember that - before my time. But again, it's a moment that got us into the playoffs, rather than actually achieving promotion. I don't think we've ever had a definitive one-kick-of-the-ball moment in quite the same way.

I suppose City's moment came back in 1965 when we played Oldham at home in Division Three and needed to overtake Mansfield for second spot when goal average was the calculation to separate those teams on the same points.

City had to better Mansfield score and by winning 2-0 we did end up with promotion. I remember the anxiety toward the end of the game in case Mansfield scored another one which would mean they would go up instead.

After the game I had to go to work driving a bus on the number 8 route, Southmead to Warmley so could not celebrate with a pint until the next day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Seen this photo a few times on Facebook, I think Dopey is getting done 'up the wrong un' by the grateful Saghead directly behind him.

image.jpeg

Definitely a prime candidate for Viz's 'up the arse corner'.

I think it's the bloke in the glasses who's 'giving' though.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Can't understand why you are on our forum when you've been promoted me old cocker. Why ain't you out on the piss with your mates. 

Just starting the hair of the dog piss up... yes, probably shouldn't have come on here after yesterday- but,to reiterate, you do have some decent fans on your forum and hard as it can be, sometimes the bait is just too much- interesting times for both clubs. Much as our owner has quickly been given hero status ( he's knocked off a few debts is all so far),  I await to see what he really can do for us....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, In the Net said:

#BristolRovers owner Wael Al-Qadi has given his players £100,000 to go an celebrate promotion in Las Vegas. Wow. #rovers @Official_BRFC

Saw that tweet, and the one after.... apparently THAT's what having a Billionaire chairman is all about, who knew .

8 minutes ago, In the Net said:

#BristolRovers owner Wael Al-Qadi has given his players £100,000 to go an celebrate promotion in Las Vegas. Wow. #rovers @Official_BRFC

Is that allowed?

It's at least been the case in the past that bonuses had to be registered with the Football Association at the start of the season...

• Like 1