IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Ok that is a bit over the top if true.

But where do you draw the line when it comes to offence? Many of our fans when at Brighton a few years ago sang a lot worse, I know it may be a different time now but there is no offence meant by most football songs. When will we not be allowed to sing "who ate all the pies", "you fat b******", call a managers mother a "lady of the night", abuse players with whatever is made up on the spot etc etc. It is mainly banter in a stand and is forgot about when the whistle goes and you leave. Too many people are offended on behalf of others (who they do not even know and certainly do not know that persons point of view). Won't be long before you get given a song sheet of songs you are allowed to sing the way it is going.

Ban those songs just like the Boxing ring women and darts walk on girls - who were happy in their job and earning good money, all because some other women didn't like it.......

I get it. Some were taking offence at our own Kasey Palmer song recently, dissecting it line by line for true meaning by saying “I’d let you shag my wife” implied  you own her......when in reality it’s just words that rhyme with the song, nothing more and nothing less. Unfortunately we live in a world where if someone is offended by what you say then it’s automatically deemed an offensive comment!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Ok that is a bit over the top if true.

But where do you draw the line when it comes to offence? Many of our fans when at Brighton a few years ago sang a lot worse, I know it may be a different time now but there is no offence meant by most football songs. When will we not be allowed to sing "who ate all the pies", "you fat b******", call a managers mother a "lady of the night", abuse players with whatever is made up on the spot etc etc. It is mainly banter in a stand and is forgot about when the whistle goes and you leave. Too many people are offended on behalf of others (who they do not even know and certainly do not know that persons point of view). Won't be long before you get given a song sheet of songs you are allowed to sing the way it is going.

Ban those songs just like the Boxing ring women and darts walk on girls - who were happy in their job and earning good money, all because some other women didn't like it.......

Going slightly of topic for a moment, I see that the sixties classic "Melting Pot" by Blue Mink has been banned after ONE complaint!  :grr:

What next?   "Do they know it's Christmas" offensive to starving Africans

"Goodnight Irene" offensive to wife beaters. 

9 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Going slightly of topic for a moment, I see that the sixties classic "Melting Pot" by Blue Mink has been banned after ONE complaint!  :grr:

What next?   "Do they know it's Christmas" offensive to starving Africans

"Goodnight Irene" offensive to wife beaters. 

Plenty of posters get banned due to one complaint as well, there was one in the London Underground a couple of months ago. Don't worry that tens of thousands have seen it and think nothing of it at all, but one complaint and it's gone.

Another good one declined for the Underground (banned for showing bacon, butter, eggs and jam in a picture):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47444107

Edited by Guest
Added to description

I believe the sags have Burton Albion on Saturday. So I won't be surprised if one of the fu c wits have some derogatory comment about them, like they did for Cheltenham " a village club" in the cup.

They could learn a lot from the way Burton as a club is run. Let's wait and see . . .  

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

Plenty of posters get banned due to one complaint as well, there was one in the London Underground a couple of months ago. Don't worry that tens of thousands have seen it and think nothing of it at all, but one complaint and it's gone.

Another good one declined for the Underground (banned for showing bacon, butter, eggs and jam in a picture):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47444107

Transport for London (TfL) said it was up to advertisers to make sure any items featured were "high fat, sugar and salt (HFSS)-compliant".

Oh ffs.

Though as this is the thread dedicated to all things Rovers I will forebear from further discussion.

2 hours ago, wood_red said:

I really don't want to stick up for the poor sags, but rightly or wrongly, these "homophobic" chants were just "we can see you holding hands". If there were more unsavoury ones then fair enough, but I was told by 2 saggies that is all that was sung. The Brighton fans then sung back about them being too ugly to get a boyfriend (or along those lines). Seriously is that really now classed as homophobic, will the Brighton fans come under scrutiny for calling other fans "ugly"? 

I honestly don't see anything offensive in any of that, and if it was sung by our lot I certainly wouldn't take any offence to it. 

** Has the World gone totally PC bonkers,  **   or is it just me not  seeing anything in that? Will anyone be getting kicked out for singing "you fat ******" in the near future? 

... ** World gone totally PC bonkers  **  .... really? 

..bet our @JulieH will have something to say about that! . (could be part of Boris's police recruitment drive I guess) 

Edited by WhistleHappy

7 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Transport for London (TfL) said it was up to advertisers to make sure any items featured were "high fat, sugar and salt (HFSS)-compliant".

Oh ffs.

Though as this is the thread dedicated to all things Rovers I will forebear from further discussion.

So you can't advertise butter, table salt or Tate and Lyle sugar then? 

The world is full of ridiculous contradictions and pointless PC exercises.  This week I was being lectured to by someone about the use of disposable plastic, after they'd just returned from their 4th holiday abroad of 2019.

Fat people will always find fat sugar and salt to eat wherever they are, adverts or no adverts. It's what they do. We've got the most PC approach to food advertising we've ever had and the fattest population to go with it. 

If any of them stayed at my place for a month and only ate what I ate they wouldn't be the same size afterwards. None will take me up on the offer to prove my point. Fair enough. 

Edited by CotswoldRed
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Oh ffs.

FFS! ? That has to be a wind up?

I'm so glad I'm old enough to not give a damn about political correctness.

• Like 5

Hi guys, hope you don’t mind a bit of outside input on this subject! I’m from Scotland but currently living in the south west for work and I’ve been taking in as many games at as many different grounds as possible while I’m here. On Tuesday I came down to Bristol and stood on the north terrace. Thoroughly enjoyed the game, was gutted for you when Brighton got the winner and loved the celebrations at your (superb) equaliser!

However, I was pretty taken aback by the homophobic chanting to be honest. It was widespread, sustained and varied. I was surprised just how many people joined in and seemed to think it was ok. In Scotland there is a severe issue with (predominately) Rangers and Celtic fans singing ridiculous sectarian stuff and every time it happens it’s major news. Even when one or two idiots at a smaller team come out with an odd daft chant it becomes an issue. If most of a busy terrace joined in with three or four different homophobic songs repeatedly over an entire half of football you wouldn’t hear the end of it for months. It as pretty grating to the e@r of an outsider.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Unan said:

Hi guys, hope you don’t mind a bit of outside input on this subject! I’m from Scotland but currently living in the south west for work and I’ve been taking in as many games at as many different grounds as possible while I’m here. On Tuesday I came down to Bristol and stood on the north terrace. Thoroughly enjoyed the game, was gutted for you when Brighton got the winner and loved the celebrations at your (superb) equaliser!

However, I was pretty taken aback by the homophobic chanting to be honest. It was widespread, sustained and varied. I was surprised just how many people joined in and seemed to think it was ok. In Scotland there is a severe issue with (predominately) Rangers and Celtic fans singing ridiculous sectarian stuff and every time it happens it’s major news. Even when one or two idiots at a smaller team come out with an odd daft chant it becomes an issue. If most of a busy terrace joined in with three or four different homophobic songs repeatedly over an entire half of football you wouldn’t hear the end of it for months. It as pretty grating to the e@r of an outsider.

'Busy terrace'? That's where it's proven to be lies. There was no bugger there on Tuesday so the terrace would hardly have been 'busy'.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

'Busy terrace'? That's where it's proven to be lies. There was no bugger there on Tuesday so the terrace would hardly have been 'busy'.

Perhaps he is used to supporting one of the pub teams in Scotland who have small attendances, so maybe by his own experience, that was busy!!

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Perhaps he is used to supporting one of the pub teams in Scotland who have small attendances, so maybe by his own experience, that was busy!!

True Taz. It could also be some random 14 year old gashead making shit up. That would be so unlike them though. ?

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The world is full of ridiculous contradictions and pointless PC exercises.  This week I was being lectured to by someone about the use of disposable plastic, after they'd just returned from their 4th holiday abroad of 2019.

Definitely.

The link I put up was basically for a supermarket that sold everything, yet their comment on the ban sums it up - Farmdrop boss Ben Pugh said: "Our ad was a mixture of balanced wholefoods, while McDonald's Happy Meals and chicken burgers are HFSS-compliant under these rules. It's crazy."

The people lecturing about plastic is pretty typical isn't it from my experience. Lewis Hamilton will have a pop about climate change, then will happily fly his dog half way around the World on a private jet. Leonardo Dicaprio is the same hypocritical buffoon too. Pretty much the same as the sags, if their players, managers, owners have a dig at anyone they are legends, yet anyone has a go back and it is is disgusting behaviour!!

12 minutes ago, TomF said:

Look who's trying to defend it - the man with the most encrypted hard drive in Bristol. 

Many people have sung the "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" chant at Brighton fans; IMO it's about as homophobic as other fans singing "You're Welsh and you know you are!" at us is racist.  That is: not at all.

If it was somebody shouting "effing poufs" that would be very different and would betray a hatred (if not an unfounded fear, which is actually what a phobia meant prior to the hijacking of the language).

There is a point where you genuinely can say that it is just banter.

It's shading it but I would say "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" as a general song is funny whereas "We saw you holding hands" sounds a bit accusatory even if sung in jest.  Though who rules on such things?

As per the "Championship footballer coming out as gay" thread I would take it as read that most people on OTIB do not dislike people for being gay, so there's absolutely no need to pop up to say that, and that the minority who do would be keeping quiet about it as it's against the rules of the forum.

3 hours ago, wood_red said:

I really don't want to stick up for the poor sags, but rightly or wrongly, these "homophobic" chants were just "we can see you holding hands". If there were more unsavoury ones then fair enough, but I was told by 2 saggies that is all that was sung. The Brighton fans then sung back about them being too ugly to get a boyfriend (or along those lines). Seriously is that really now classed as homophobic, will the Brighton fans come under scrutiny for calling other fans "ugly"? 

I honestly don't see anything offensive in any of that, and if it was sung by our lot I certainly wouldn't take any offence to it. 

Has the World gone totally PC bonkers, or is it just me not seeing anything in that? Will anyone be getting kicked out for singing "you fat ******" in the near future? 

The law is crystal clear on this.

Homophobia (as with race or disability) is a discrimination issue. Calling somebody fat or ugly is not. Put simply, the former is bigotry aimed at a whole group of people in the population.

To allow ‘less bad’ homophobic chants while condemning the rest would be hypocritical and impractical so ‘red lines’ are drawn on that basis. I’d say that’s fair.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

The law is crystal clear on this.

Homophobia (as with race or disability) is a discrimination issue. Calling somebody fat or ugly is not. Put simply, the former is bigotry aimed at a whole group of people in the population.

To allow ‘less bad’ homophobic chants while condemning the rest would be hypocritical and impractical so ‘red lines’ are drawn on that basis. I’d say that’s fair.

That is half the trouble. I bet there are fat people who couldn't give a toss what is said about them and others that will absolutely hate it - but that's ok. The same goes for the so called homophobic chants, do you honestly believe someone shouting "we saw you holding hands" in a football stadium has everyone in the other terrace offended or indeed any of them? I doubt a single Brighton fan would be offended by that (or any football fan in the land). It also isn't a "less bad" homophobic chant - it just isn't homophobic at all imo.

Basically you can abuse any player/fan/manager for being ugly or fat, yet if he is out as gay and you say "I seen you holding hands with your bloke" you can be up in court for a "hate" crime - I assume that is what it comes under? If that is correct then I really do find the World we live in crazy and ridiculous.

Ah, I see, it all makes sense now - the “10” they awarded themselves was on the Dennis Nilsen measurement scale.

Meanwhile, the Gash venture to Burton tomorrow yet to pick up a point or score a goal on their travels - they’ll really need to pull their Bristol Sport socks up.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Believe it or not even the Gash get respectable attendances compared to clubs like Dundee, St Johnstone, Hamilton. Much bigger catchment area though so it’s still pathetic.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

As usual I’ll make a small attempt to stand up for Scottish football, and I know @Robboredis in total agreement with me!

I think clubs in Scotland have relatively good support given the population of the whole country is just over 5m people and there are 42 clubs in the main four divisions before the non league clubs are considered. Also, there are some clusters of clubs all fighting for condensed local support - eg there are six clubs within the Dundee postcode alone.

People down here are quick to dismiss Scottish clubs as ‘pub teams’ (as you did) yet there was a significant clamour on here recently to sign a player from Aberdeen - why would we want to sign a player who plays in a ‘pub’ league for a ‘pub’ team?!

Anyway, just my regular attempt to stick up for the game North of the border - as you were....

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, wood_red said:

That is half the trouble. I bet there are fat people who couldn't give a toss what is said about them and others that will absolutely hate it - but that's ok. The same goes for the so called homophobic chants, do you honestly believe someone shouting "we saw you holding hands" in a football stadium has everyone in the other terrace offended or indeed any of them? I doubt a single Brighton fan would be offended by that (or any football fan in the land). It also isn't a "less bad" homophobic chant - it just isn't homophobic at all imo.

Basically you can abuse any player/fan/manager for being ugly or fat, yet if he is out as gay and you say "I seen you holding hands with your bloke" you can be up in court for a "hate" crime - I assume that is what it comes under? If that is correct then I really do find the World we live in crazy and ridiculous.

That’s the point though, all homophobic chants are aimed at gay people in the population. It’s the same for race or disability. Surely it’s not difficult to see the difference between chanting on these lines when compared with being fat etc.

And yes, the holding hands chant is obviously homophobic. It’s also cringeful to hear.

Whether the Brighton fans were offended is irrelevant.

Edited by Andre_The_Giant
  • Like 4
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Many people have sung the "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" chant at Brighton fans; IMO it's about as homophobic as other fans singing "You're Welsh and you know you are!" at us is racist.  That is: not at all.

If it was somebody shouting "effing poufs" that would be very different and would betray a hatred (if not an unfounded fear, which is actually what a phobia meant prior to the hijacking of the language).

There is a point where you genuinely can say that it is just banter.

It's shading it but I would say "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" as a general song is funny whereas "We saw you holding hands" sounds a bit accusatory even if sung in jest.  Though who rules on such things?

As per the "Championship footballer coming out as gay" thread I would take it as read that most people on OTIB do not dislike people for being gay, so there's absolutely no need to pop up to say that, and that the minority who do would be keeping quiet about it as it's against the rules of the forum.

I'm sure I remember playing Brighton and they replied to the generic 'does your boyfriend know you're here'? with 'does your boyfriend know we're here'? I thought it was a very humorous reply at the time and fair play to them. The days of what is perceived as 'banter' appear to have gone, no doubt sarcasm will be next which is the majority of British humour going with it. 

Football used to be a release, nowadays it appears you can't enjoy a bit of friendly regional stereotypical stick without upsetting some snowflake. At some point, someone will be offended by being called a Wurzel FFS or clubs will ban the 'XXXX is a shithole, I wanna go home' because it's offensive to some absolute hovel somewhere. Sad times.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

That’s the point though, all homophobic chants are aimed at gay people in the population. It’s the same for race or disability. Surely it’s not difficult to see the difference between chanting on these lines when compared with being fat etc.

And yes, the holding hands chant is obviously homophobic. It’s also cringeful to hear.

Whether the Brighton fans were offended is irrelevant.

100% correct, you can’t compare singing songs about fat people to singing songs about gay people, a ridiculous and ill informed comment.

The offence caused or not caused is irrelevant as you say, it’s the song intent that matters

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

100% correct, you can’t compare singing songs about fat people to singing songs about gay people, a ridiculous and ill informed comment.

The offence caused or not caused is irrelevant as you say, it’s the song intent that matters

I honestly do not see what the difference is. If singing "I see you holding hands" is classed as homophobic and offensive why the hell is calling someone a fat ***** not? If I am ill informed then please educate me because I really do not see how one is ok and the other is not.