Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

42nite

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

My memory is probably wrong, but I thought the first year of the play offs saw a 'to be' relegated side playing a 'to be' promoted side.

Which, imho, is a much better way of deciding things.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

My memory is probably wrong, but I thought the first year of the play offs saw a 'to be' relegated side playing a 'to be' promoted side.

Correct and we were involved in one when we played Sheff U and beat them then lost to Walsall .

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I'd disagree with that. By playing (assuming we don't finish in the top 2!) Other divisional rivals we would likely have a much better game plan than if we were thrown in against a Newcastle (or Chelsea as the Prem stands) and would suggest promotion is achieved by being the best of the rest, than trying to be better than one of the worse from the league above.

20 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Seriously though, only the Gas could claim that taking 1400 fans one and a half hours up the road as travelling ‘on mass’ (?) 🤣

Obviously one of the many Championship clubs who aren’t actually envious of their ‘bonkers’ away support is us as we clearly travel in larger numbers. Think that’s worth pointing out again.

419C8D41-3AEB-4E23-831B-B678308D588F.jpeg

what a ******* *****

Edited by Jim Davey

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

I doubt South Yorkshire plod would agree given the aftermath of us relegating Blades that night.

IIRC it was one of the main reasons the format was changed - the theory was if a side got relegated via the playoffs trouble was almost certainly going to happen but if a side only failed to go up it was less likely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

No chance of that I’m afraid. Quite a few gullible City fans on here who obviously hang around with Sagheads in the pub on a Saturday night and totally believe their bullshit about away support. Doesn’t matter how many facts and examples you show them.

St Andrews isn’t even a ‘new’ ground for most of our supporters, we go there every year. That 1450 yesterday for the Gas included their day trippers who only bother with the bigger stadiums 🤣

I think a few have forgotten to factor in miahs numnut mates who rocked up at the ricoh waiting til 5.30 for the gates to open

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

but if a side only failed to go up it was less likely.

Wallsall being an obvious exception .

• Haha 4

Following their goalless start to the season, a shock new survey reveals most Gash fans are no longer interested in spending a good night with Irene.

Most of them would settle for being on nodding terms with Annette.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Meanwhile .....

Graham ‘Gung Ho’ Coughmoan has revealed the Gas’s transfer and development policy moving forward

F634594C-2809-4A91-8458-89B503BFA451.png

Buy? That implies spending money.

• Haha 1

Meanwhile .....across the river

City fans are debating their new young signing from Monaco

and concluding that his potential £8 million fee represents good value for money .......

#MINDTHEGAP 

“However win lose or draw Rovers are painful to watch at the moment and I can see attendances dropping rapidly if we have to endure this dross.”

So, how does this fit in with the “loyal and true” mantra?

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Meanwhile .....across the river

City fans are debating their new young signing from Monaco

and concluding that his potential £8 million fee represents good value for money .......

#MINDTHEGAP 

#Mind the chasm

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Got, got, got, need, got, got, need, need

Knowing the Fewers, they'll swap 3 players for one 'shiney' as they must be better, and then they'll be 3 players short.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, weepywall said:

Correct and we were involved in one when we played Sheff U and beat them then lost to Walsall .

...and we had a crowd of more than 25k at both our home games in those play offs - amazing for a div 3 side back then .. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

“However win lose or draw Rovers are painful to watch at the moment and I can see attendances dropping rapidly if we have to endure this dross.”

So, how does this fit in with the “loyal and true” mantra?

Can they drop much further?

Could we be seeing crowds of under 1k come the end of the season if the decline is so rapid?

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I would love to see this revived. Bottom two go down and op two from league below go up. Third bottom in the higher league plays third top in the lower league home and away two-legger for the third spot. 

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

I would love to see this revived. Bottom two go down and op two from league below go up. Third bottom in the higher league plays third top in the lower league home and away two-legger for the third spot. 

Still happens in the Scottish leagues. From memory I think it was stopped in England after trouble between Chelsea and Middlesbrough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...and we had a crowd of more than 25k at both our home games in those play offs - amazing for a div 3 side back then .. 

I think we took about 4k up to Sheffield for a night game, always remember Wednesday fans out on the streets applauding us as we left Sheffield.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Congrats to the GasGirls for their battling 1-1 today against the mighty Merthyr Tydfil

Don't knock them too much, if they get better Lansdown will be buying them anyway :)

• Haha 1
  • Aubergine 1

6 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I think we took about 4k up to Sheffield for a night game, always remember Wednesday fans out on the streets applauding us as we left Sheffield.

It was rather surreal. I remember driving down a dual carriageway back to the motorway in convoy with the supporters` coaches and there was some sort of club high up on one side with a huge outside area which was filled with Owls fans cheering and waving us on our way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Meanwhile .....

Graham ‘Gung Ho’ Coughmoan has revealed the Gas’s transfer and development policy moving forward

F634594C-2809-4A91-8458-89B503BFA451.png

I remember the bring and buy sales from Blue Peter. Sadly Blue Peter changed his colour to red and scored against the Gas in the last league derby to date at AG in Dec 2000.

29 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Don't knock them too much, if they get better Lansdown will be buying them anyway :)

Would this be after you lot withdraw their funding again?

Edited by BCFC11
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It was rather surreal. I remember driving down a dual carriageway back to the motorway in convoy with the supporters` coaches and there was some sort of club high up on one side with a huge outside area which was filled with Owls fans cheering and waving us on our way.

I saw them outside the Crucible .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

I saw them outside the Crucible .

Is that where The Crucible is and was that what it was? I`ve never been but I always imagined it to be in the city centre.

9 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Seriously though, only the Gas could claim that taking 1400 fans one and a half hours up the road as travelling ‘on mass’ (?) 🤣

Obviously one of the many Championship clubs who aren’t actually envious of their ‘bonkers’ away support is us as we clearly travel in larger numbers. Think that’s worth pointing out again.

Where on earth do they find these deluded cretins?

He/she/it is factually correct on one thing for a change in mentioning "gas" and "spark" in the same sentence and hopefully do us all a favour and in doing so get rid of all that methane quickly.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Wearing unique jester-style boxing shorts, Bristol bantamweight Duane “The Gasman” Winters fights defending British title holder Kash Farooq. Briefly. Can’t seem to stay away from canvas, that lot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/49384788

Ahhh, Farooq had the advantage. He didn’t have a horse mask on. 

Would’ve been a different story otherwise...

18 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Tinman knows .20190818_063746.thumb.jpg.a6f5a84060becbfbe828cab83fe9f726.jpg

So who can rightfully and genuinely claim to have first used and coined the wonderful expression of “mind the gap”.

Not a challenge or knock down, but just intrigued to know if we can actually identify and thank who created (OK London underground might have a shout here) when they first used the accurate and amusing analogy between ourselves and the Gas?

12 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

IIRC, after we played, extremely well, at the Etihad a couple of years ago, there were a couple of gasheads that went straight on to the Man C forums slagging us off and saying they 'would have taken more fans', 'much better club', 'love us more than them gurt 'teds' etc only to be embarrassed by the Man C collective. It made for great reading on the long trip home as I remember it. 

Like Man C fans give a shit! 

I think it’s a fair assumption that Rovers would take more to Manchester, on a Tuesday night, than they get at home games..! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Wearing unique jester-style boxing shorts, Bristol bantamweight Duane “The Gasman” Winters fights defending British title holder Kash Farooq. Briefly. Can’t seem to stay away from canvas, that lot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/49384788

So after a lot of hype, ‘out’ in the first round! Sounds oh so familiar.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Judah_Eskendar_Tafar said:

So after a lot of hype, ‘out’ in the first round! Sounds oh so familiar.

To be fair, he was never going to win that fight. It really was a case of fighting in the last chance saloon.

18 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They are all at it. The cockman claiming they had half the support in a crowd of 6976. Deluded.

FC3CCFF4-937F-498D-9EA3-016CAE83632F.jpeg

19 minutes ago, edada said:

They are all at it. The cockman claiming they had half the support in a crowd of 6976. Deluded.

They had 20% of the crowd.  Maths has never been a gas strong point. 

23 minutes ago, edada said:

Ah, but surely there were only about 3,500 Coventry fans? The Gas may only have taken 1,400 but the rest of the crowd was made up of Brum fans there to support them because they are universally loved by the fans of all other clubs. QED.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, weepywall said:

What I remember most about this match apart from the imperial Joe Jordan coming on as sub and running the show was the very, very late arrival of most of their supporters.

I naively thought that there weren’t many there considering the importance of the match and then two minutes before kick off  the ground turned red and very noisy.

Proper club the Blades and top support. 

I finally got around to watching the EFL highlights last night, and thought I'd take a rare dip in to the League 1 highlights to see this "immense" and "bonkers" support that is "the envy of most Championship clubs".

Turns out that all I saw was a half full stand with lots of people sat around looking bored and occasionally abusing their own players after a goal... 🤔 Must have missed something!

48 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What I remember most about this match apart from the imperial Joe Jordan coming on as sub and running the show was the very, very late arrival of most of their supporters.

I naively thought that there weren’t many there considering the importance of the match and then two minutes before kick off  the ground turned red and very noisy.

Proper club the Blades and top support. 

I remember our brilliant away support , Shutts diving header , a young Peter Beadle and spending most of the game stood balanced on a barrier behind the goal (1980s safe standing !)

Brilliant night

• Like 2

4 hours ago, edada said:

They really don’t help themselves do they? From the top of that club to the dregs they all come out with the same shit, it’s like a disease they all suffer from.

...but apparently we’re the deluded ones