Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Remind me, where was the original Fowlers ? I can't get past Temple Meads ! I know I'll go "'course it was" when someone reminds me !

I remember  Fowlers Bikes up in Kingswood, in Moravian Road. Bought my AP50 from there! Pretty sure they then moved to Temple Meads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Old Rascal said:

I remember  Fowlers Bikes up in Kingswood, in Moravian Road. Bought my AP50 from there! Pretty sure they then moved to Temple Meads.

Not sure it was ever Fowlers. It was Averys for many years. I used to play rugby with Gerald the son. Fowlers could of bought it guess but i cant remember that.

40 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

Not sure it was ever Fowlers. It was Averys for many years. I used to play rugby with Gerald the son. Fowlers could of bought it guess but i cant remember that.

Cheers, could of sworn it was Fowlers when I bought the bike in the late 70's. Wonder if they were bought out or merged?  As I remember I had to go down Temple Meads to make the make the final payments. 

Ken always had interesting stock especially in the early 70s, I bought a Honda CB72e from him after I passed my test on my trusty Triumph Cub, BAD 341 was the registration of that Honda, loved it, electric start 250cc and 100mph, then compulsory crash helmets came in!!!

• Like 1

There was Scamps too, next to Hofbrauhaus, Friday nights venue and there was Lourdes? on Fairfax street, by the time you got to the top of the stairs you were level with Union Street.

A bouncer once pushed me down the steps, but I was so drunk, I rolled all the way down and landed on my feet and walked off to the next club. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
23 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm going off at a complete tangent here, but does anybody remember the old Hofbrauhaus in Bristol back in the 1970s?

The rumour was that, rather than being imported in barrels from Germany, their beer was made by adding sparkling water to a powder/starter to make the 'infamous' beer.

Is there any truth to this or is it simply one of many apocryphallies from my youth? 

Wow!

Sorry to quote myself, and many apologies, but I went off at a 'slight tangent' and, two pages later, we seem to have covered practically all the pubs and clubs of our debauched youth - which brings us back to the Rovers. 

Just to bring this back on topic, what about that shithouse of a club called "The Doghouse" in the North Stand at Eastville. I have a fleeting memory of actually going there for some obscure reason. Probably a better set of facilities than they currently have at the rugby ground though.

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Chaplins, that's the bugger.

Nice one fellas.

Owned and run by Martin and Sue....big City fans.,(Sue being famous for proving she was a Bristol 'City' fan at the Mansfield game at Wembley a year later).  After losing the away leg at Hereford in the Freight Rover semi final, Martin promised champagne to the City players if we got to the final in the home leg. True to his word, straight after the game, back to Chaplins to celebrate with the players arriving around midnight. Remember having a long chat with David Moyes who was comparing our rivalry with the gas, with  Celtic/Rangers saying it was just as intense and David Harle being absolutely rat arsed! Think I remember getting home around 4am. a great night.

• Like 1

This is bringing back some great old memories. Unfortunately, my memory now is not that great! 

I can think of a couple of late night venues that I used to frequent but can't remember their names, so any input is appreciated. 

First one was next to the Hippodrome, Denmark Street I think. Late drinks and ladies. 

Second one was Prince Street, right next to the old Post Office. 

Both were brilliant. 

7 hours ago, Old Rascal said:

Shit, I bought my AP50 from there too!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, freezer said:

This is bringing back some great old memories. Unfortunately, my memory now is not that great! 

I can think of a couple of late night venues that I used to frequent but can't remember their names, so any input is appreciated. 

First one was next to the Hippodrome, Denmark Street I think. Late drinks and ladies. 

Second one was Prince Street, right next to the old Post Office. 

Both were brilliant. 

It was Chaplins above and next to the Hippodrome...they moved there from Fairfax Street. As a matter of interest, the Fools and Horses scene with the blow up doll was filmed at the back entrance to the club!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Shit, I bought my AP50 from there too!

i had a fs1e two/four dx. very last of the pre restricted ones.. ohm 468r.  used to love going to fowlers by the bus station dreaming of an rd250, the ones before the water boilers came out

• Like 1
On 13/01/2021 at 11:03, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm going off at a complete tangent here, but does anybody remember the old Hofbrauhaus in Bristol back in the 1970s?

The rumour was that, rather than being imported in barrels from Germany, their beer was made by adding sparkling water to a powder/starter to make the 'infamous' beer.

Is there any truth to this or is it simply one of many apocryphallies from my youth? 

I remember that place, but I was always already drunk before I entered there, so have absolutely no idea if the beer any good or not :laugh:

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Just to bring this back on topic, what about that shithouse of a club called "The Doghouse" in the North Stand at Eastville. I have a fleeting memory of actually going there for some obscure reason. Probably a better set of facilities than they currently have at the rugby ground though.

Me and Mrs Jacko went in there one time - only because it was free entry chucked in with the admission price to the greyhound racing.  No lasting memories of it, mind.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

i had a fs1e two/four dx. very last of the pre restricted ones.. ohm 468r.  used to love going to fowlers by the bus station dreaming of an rd250, the ones before the water boilers came out

I had a beat up popsicle fizzie...KDD78P. Also a 350 Elsie...HMR 656W (still around, but sorned, apparently). Both great bikes.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Anyone remember Maxims half way up Park St on the right, DJ had his decks in a white grand piano if I remember correctly.

Think I saw the Cortinas there. Deffo saw them in a club on Park Street anyway. 

anyone remember Chutes?  Near the Colston Hall. 

5 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I had a beat up popsicle fizzie...KDD78P. Also a 350 Elsie...HMR 656W (still around, but sorned, apparently). Both great bikes.

beautiful looking bike ,i can only remember white ones, did they do other colours