Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

BessexRED

SIGNED: Sammie Szmodics

Been linked with him a few times, again today. I can’t imagine we’d want him if Palmer signs? He’d be another promising youngster from the lower leagues that doesn’t get much game time.

23 years old and 15 goals 7 assists from midfield though, not bad.

I don’t mind these transfers. Brownhill, Adelakun and Szmodics. They are low risk and high reward. Yes every bit of money counts for us but turning a free transfer or compensation into a 5-10m player is worth it. Brownhill when sold will cover 5 of these types of players. 

I haven’t seen much of him but as you said 15 goals and 7 assists is pretty good. Can easily have him and Palmer(or any AM signed) as he’d probably be on the old 12-18 months fast track. I reckon Adelakun would have featured much more without his injury so keep the faith in these transfers. Prefer them to the Engvall and Eisa ones anyway!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

His form is a bit in and out. 

Was thinking that. Colchester's form is streaky like ours has been under LJ, but it seems as though they only play well when Szmodics does.

I believe Johnson will want one, maybe two number 10s in the summer so we can go back to the 4411 of last season. Palmer may be one, and this guy may be the other. He certainly seems a Johnson type signing.

Sort of player who ends up at Peterborough before going for 3-4m to Derby.

• Like 1

He’ll be 24 in September. Looks like a good player but we’d have to hope he kicked on straight away otherwise some questions would be asked like Eisa

22 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Was thinking that. Colchester's form is streaky like ours has been under LJ, but it seems as though they only play well when Szmodics does.

Yeah far too spasmodic. Have they got a Bacon too?

🧥 

On 06/05/2019 at 19:16, BessexRED said:

Been linked with him a few times, again today. I can’t imagine we’d want him if Palmer signs? He’d be another promising youngster from the lower leagues that doesn’t get much game time.

23 years old and 15 goals 7 assists from midfield though, not bad.

We have to remember that this is league two though. Can you imagine what Palmer would do in that league, he’d rip it up! If we’re signing this kid from Colchester, we’ll be taking a gamble. 

2 minutes ago, swanker said:

We have to remember that this is league two though. Can you imagine what Palmer would do in that league, he’d rip it up! If we’re signing this kid from Colchester, we’ll be taking a gamble. 

Every signing is a gamble though, even if it's a proven player. Ask Man Utd about Sanchez. Or Barca about Coutinho.

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:02, chinapig said:

Every signing is a gamble though, even if it's a proven player. Ask Man Utd about Sanchez. Or Barca about Coutinho.

Or the s*gs about Nichols.

10 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Ok, someone help me out. How do you pronounce Szmodics?

Sam-me. That's how I'm going to say it anyway.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

When I’ve heard his name on the tv they were pronouncing it like there was no z, so Smod-icks 

30 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I'm sure I heard sky sports pronounce him as Simodic?

4 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

When I’ve heard his name on the tv they were pronouncing it like there was no z, so Smod-icks 

This is the correct way i believe.

Looks like a good bit of business on a free:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammie_Szmodics

From the clubs perspective....With LJ’s coaching skills he might mature into a quality player for us, if however he improves, but not  enough, we should be able to sell him on at a profit.

For him.....joining us provides a golden opportunity to demonstrate what he can do at a higher level.

56 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Looks like a good bit of business on a free:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammie_Szmodics

From the clubs perspective....With LJ’s coaching skills he might mature into a quality player for us, if however he improves, but not  enough, we should be able to sell him on at a profit.

For him.....joining us provides a golden opportunity to demonstrate what he can do at a higher level.

Possibly another Bradley Dack (without the unpleasant hotel room behaviour) that we won`t miss out on this time?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Sum-more-dics.

Wouldn't hurt if you say “please” too. 

6 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

He is aged 23 so it is a free transfer

I don’t know why I wrote that. I meant under 24. Apologies! 

7 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Not overly impressed by that montage.

As youtube videos go, that wasn't one of the best !

I'm sure there's more to his game than those brief clips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tangle Foot said:

I wonder, will his signing be on a free transfer, or will go to a tribunal?

A ‘sizeable compensation package’ is reported in the media.

39 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Large parts of L2 fan base have called him the best player in the league last year, judging from a twitter search rummage!

44 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

This was uploaded before the last two seasons where he has hit form

On 08/05/2019 at 15:11, stortfordred said:

Yeah far too spasmodic. Have they got a Bacon too?

🧥 

Spazmodics? Weren't they a Bristol punk band? Think I just about remember moshing at the fleece one night!

• Like 1

Not a really inspiring signing, think we need to be signing proven championship players to be in with a chance of automatic promotion. That being said, if he doesn't cost too much and we can take a punt (taken too many of those in the past few years) then why not I guess, just dont want us to piss the Kelly money away and not sign JDS and Kalas

2 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Not a really inspiring signing, think we need to be signing proven championship players to be in with a chance of automatic promotion. That being said, if he doesn't cost too much and we can take a punt (taken too many of those in the past few years) then why not I guess, just dont want us to piss the Kelly money away and not sign JDS and Kalas

I don't think we are going to have to pay £13m in compensation for an out of contract player fortunately.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I don't think we are going to have to pay £13m in compensation for an out of contract player fortunately.

yeah but its wages that are going on a player that we could be saving for a bigger striker, but I see your point

6 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

yeah but its wages that are going on a player that we could be saving for a bigger striker, but I see your point

He's not going to break the bank on wages either.

From what I have heard about him he could well be a Bobby Reid type player. He will need to get to Championship fitness levels though.

Edited by chinapig

i like the idea of getting the best players from the lower leagues but we have to remember we are in a very tough league and a couple of quality championship proven players is a must for me. 

• Like 4

If he's going to be cheap then no problem. A goal scoring midfielder is something we've been missing so if he can continue that then all good. Still need a couple of proven players to add some experience and leadership 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i like the idea of getting the best players from the lower leagues but we have to remember we are in a very tough league and a couple of quality championship proven players is a must for me. 

They are out there though if your scouting`s up to it. Ollie Watkins, Bradley Dack, Sam Clucas, Jarred Bowen and no doubt many others. Many of them players the club knew about and watched for a long time but didn`t actively pursue (with the exception of Dack who didn`t want to come).

Other clubs seem to be able to unearth these gems, why can`t we? Are we too risk averse?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Hunt, Baker, Weimann all proven championship players and certainly not our best players.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Hunt, Baker, Weimann all proven championship players and certainly not our best players.

Indeed, and how long have we all been whinging that we have been sat watching lower league players and watching them go to other clubs and pass us by. We should have bought Ollie Watkins ages ago for bugger all, if we wanted him now we'd have to be paying out 8-10 million quid. 

If we want the clout to sign proven championship players we need to be generating large profits on players that we pick up cheap. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They are out there though if your scouting`s up to it. Ollie Watkins, Bradley Dack, Sam Clucas, Jarred Bowen and no doubt many others. Many of them players the club knew about and watched for a long time but didn`t actively pursue (with the exception of Dack who didn`t want to come).

Other clubs seem to be able to unearth these gems, why can`t we? Are we too risk averse?

I thought that part of the problem was that he did exactly that....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Indeed, and how long have we all been whinging that we have been sat watching lower league players and watching them go to other clubs and pass us by. We should have bought Ollie Watkins ages ago for bugger all, if we wanted him now we'd have to be paying out 8-10 million quid. 

If we want the clout to sign proven championship players we need to be generating large profits on players that we pick up cheap. 

I would have liked Watkins too but LJ reckons they considerably increased what they wanted for him when we asked. I believe he went to Brentford for something like £1.8m. Imagine the uproar on here if we had paid a lot more than that for a League 2 player.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Judda said:

Spazmodics? Weren't they a Bristol punk band? Think I just about remember moshing at the fleece one night!

Remember seeing them at Ashton Court, probably late 80s? Plenty of energy back then but way pay past their best now, definitely not what our squad needs.

It's a no from me. 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I would have liked Watkins too but LJ reckons they considerably increased what they wanted for him when we asked. I believe he went to Brentford for something like £1.8m. Imagine the uproar on here if we had paid a lot more than that for a League 2 player.

Thats kind of my point By then it was too late, he had been on our radar for years before that, we are doing now what we should have done then, pick them up before they cost large sums of money, it means we will certainly get more wrong, but for every 1 we get right we can get 5 or 6 wrong.

2 hours ago, paul_fox said:

If he's going to be cheap then no problem. A goal scoring midfielder is something we've been missing so if he can continue that then all good. Still need a couple of proven players to add some experience and leadership 

I don’t mind transfers like this or Adelakun for example. Young but experienced. Costing less than 750k and probably on 5k or less a week. These I can live with. I’d like less of the Eisa, Moore and Engvalls. Not writing off Eisa or Moore but the higher investment means more pressure. 

Go and get 1 OOC lower league player a season but don’t spin it when he signs like he is a high level player from the start. We need top investment in 2-3 starters for us to continue to progress on the pitch. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don't think our quality of development of players we sign is all that consistent yet- some of it is good but some really is not.

Eisa and Adelakun- wasted a season of possible development. Now it maybe that they aren't good enough for us, but then loan them to a good League One side in January- at the least regular game time keeps their profile and value up.

Taylor Moore- I question. Bundesliga 2 club maybe would have been useful instead of Southend.

Even Ligue 2 given his time spent with Lens but Bundesliga 2 maybe a useful middle ground between lower Leagues here and Championship- closest of major 2nd tiers stylistically as well, probably stylistically- and again if not what we need, puts him in shop window for a wider audience.

OTOH those who come through our own academy- Kelly, Bryan, Reid and possibly we'll see on, Vyner. We develop them quite well it seems, but players we sign from elsewhere? More hit and miss for sure!

Eliasson though has progressed nicely, and Webster a revelation.

We can't get it all correct but I do question how well we can develop signings from lower Leagues...would Dack, Clucas, Watkins and Bowen have developed right here?

• Like 1