Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

BessexRED

SIGNED: Sammie Szmodics

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Remember seeing them at Ashton Court, probably late 80s? Plenty of energy back then but way pay past their best now, definitely not what our squad needs.

It's a no from me. 

They'd still put fear into the opposition though!

• Flames 1

On 07/05/2019 at 16:23, stortfordred said:

His form is a bit in and out. 

Sounds a bit like my sex life but with more of the 'out' 

• Haha 1

We edge closer and express interest and Bournemouth just go and sign the player they want. I really hope we get the players we are after early and don't delay and lose out.

22 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

We edge closer and express interest and Bournemouth just go and sign the player they want. I really hope we get the players we are after early and don't delay and lose out.

The problem is that we probably have an A-list of first choice targets who will have the most options and take their time deciding. It maybe that names on our B-list and C-list could be easier to sign but then we give up on the main targets. It is a difficult balancing act at this time of year but I would prefer to wait for a top target if we have a chance. 

• Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That's just a summary of the Mirror article from the weekend.

I see. Just confident of this one being genuine.

It’s the exact type of player I’d expect LJ to be interested in.

On 19/05/2019 at 12:58, Mr Popodopolous said:

OTOH those who come through our own academy- Kelly, Bryan, Reid and possibly we'll see on, Vyner. We develop them quite well it seems, but players we sign from elsewhere? More hit and miss for sure!

Isn't that the point tho. We have a model where we go for quite a number of players like this that are low risk financially so we can afford for it to be hit or miss. Go for 10 and if 2 or 3 come off then it wont have cost us too much.

The problem is some on here will focus on the failures and use it as evidence of bad recruitment but it isn't an art. We're gonna make mistakes just hopefully more cheap ones like Eisa or Walsh rather than expensive ones like Tomlin or Engvall.

• Like 1

Yes this signing could be different but for me  this signing is no different to Eisa and Adelukun - they’re going to take time to make the step up, if at all. 

I personally feel that LJ is holding out on his contract talks to make sure he’s getting the backing he wants. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Got a feeling this lad will be a gem based on the local press guys in Colchester. Not only has he proved his ability at lower levels L1 & 2, his character is exactly what LJ looks for in players

They all reckon he’s ready to step up to Championship standard so let’s see if this transfer does become reality and LJ has unearthed a diamond

9 minutes ago, Saunders87 said:

Yes this signing could be different but for me  this signing is no different to Eisa and Adelukun - they’re going to take time to make the step up, if at all. 

I personally feel that LJ is holding out on his contract talks to make sure he’s getting the backing he wants. 

This signing would cast a bit of a cloud under Paterson as well, as they seem quite similar players.

I would be more than happy to get another 4-5 quality loan players from the prem clubs this season. It's worked in the past (Huddersfield), and Derby has used it well this season as well.

Our three from Chelsea were some of the main drivers; for us getting close to the playoffs this season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Got a feeling this lad will be a gem based on the local press guys in Colchester. Not only has he proved his ability at lower levels L1 & 2, his character is exactly what LJ looks for in players

They all reckon he’s ready to step up to Championship standard so let’s see if this transfer does become reality and LJ has unearthed a diamond

I get the same feeling but LJ needs to use him if we sign him. Ok he sees people in training but they need to have a platform to train well. 

I’d like to see players like Szmodics(if he signs), Adelakun, Semenyo and Vyner on the bench rather than Watkins, Baker and Taylor. Cheaper and will be more keen to impress. Let them be your impact subs along with 1-2 starting XI types(Eliasson, Weimann, Wright). 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I get the same feeling but LJ needs to use him if we sign him. Ok he sees people in training but they need to have a platform to train well. 

I’d like to see players like Szmodics(if he signs), Adelakun, Semenyo and Vyner on the bench rather than Watkins, Baker and Taylor. Cheaper and will be more keen to impress. Let them be your impact subs along with 1-2 starting XI types(Eliasson, Weimann, Wright). 

Szmodics could possibly step right in ahead of Paterson.

A no brainer for free or even if we have to pay compensation. Need goals from midfield.

Not sure how anyone could complain about this - clearly a good footballer.

Looks a whole of a lot less raw than Eisa or Adelakun are or were.

Edited by Keith Welch

2 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I've got a feeling this could be a real gem of a signing. 

Hope so, and obviously never seen him play, but im sure people were saying something similar after adelakun and eisa signings last year. If lj is saying anyone coming in has to be capable of playing premier league football, then the chances of colchester players being at that level wouldnt seem to be high

13 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

A no brainer for free or even if we have to pay compensation. Need goals from midfield.

Not sure how anyone could complain about this - clearly a good footballer.

Looks a whole of a lot less raw than Eisa or Adelakun are or were.

It’s still league 2 - good footballer or not there is still an element of a risk. 

As you said for free then it makes sense to bring him in, I just hope that we aren’t putting all our eggs in one basket for this position.

25 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Paterson was pretty poor for most of last season. Judging on his performance against Ipswich at home my mother in law could step ahead of him!

• Like 2
  • Unicorn 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Paterson is more of a left sided player though in LJs preferred system

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Paterson is more of a left sided player though in LJs preferred system

The only real current midfielder that plays the number 10 role though.

Am I right in saying that he's had a couple of broken legs in recent seasons? If so, is it a worry?

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Am I right in saying that he's had a couple of broken legs in recent seasons? If so, is it a worry?

He's only got a couple..........it's a no from me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Haven't read the whole thread, but what sort of bunce are we talking ?

Out of contract.

Compensation only.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mozo said:

Good news - he can't have more than a couple of broken legs!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Good news - he can't have more than a couple of broken legs!

Played 45 games last season so I guess hes overcome any fitness issues

11 hours ago, mozo said:

I broke my leg when I was 18.

It didn't affect me after I recovered and started playing again.

I was still crap!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Seen this from the Supporters Page. They’re usually pretty reliable.

Isn't he out of contract?

£750k sounds a lot of money to avoid a tribunal.

Paid a lot less for Adelenkun, who performed in a higher division.

I'm not saying he's not coming. Just that price doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Agree.  Sounds a strange comment, but hey-ho.  I like the look of him.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  Sounds a strange comment, but hey-ho.  I like the look of him.

He really does look quality doesn't he. Yes it's only the good bits. But it shows us what kind of player he is.

10 hours ago, TammyAB said:

Seen this from the Supporters Page. They’re usually pretty reliable.

Looks like Bobby Reid if Bobby could score from outside the box. 

RE: the cost, he's been at Colchester since he was a school boy, the compensation system places a value on that, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fair bit. We may also be looking to pay more now to limit sell on fees to Colchester if we think he's going to be a good player at the higher level

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He really does look quality doesn't he. Yes it's only the good bits. But it shows us what kind of player he is.

6 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Looks like Bobby Reid if Bobby could score from outside the box. 

RE: the cost, he's been at Colchester since he was a school boy, the compensation system places a value on that, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fair bit. We may also be looking to pay more now to limit sell on fees to Colchester if we think he's going to be a good player at the higher level

He looks quick, he is also sturdier than I thought from the other videos. Good balance, gets his head up and thinks quickly. If that all translates to a higher level then he should be good competition for Patto and freshen up our midfield. 

• Like 1

Looking at that vid.

Yes, they only show the good bits and yes, it is against lower league opposition but it's obvious that he has very good technical ability and is quite pacy - he aint raw thats a fact. If the fee is under 1m it could be a good bit of business imo.

• Like 1

Looking at his stats, 14 goals from midfield is impressive, but 9 assists even more so, looking at some of the chances missed by his team mates you would like to think he would do even better with better players.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Looking at his stats, 14 goals from midfield is impressive, but 9 assists even more so, looking at some of the chances missed by his team mates you would like to think he would do even better with better players.

I’ll try and build some Lg2 data over the next day or so. Be interesting to see his xA data vs actual assists. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yep I was thinking he does some great things in some clips and his teammates then let him down

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

So at that price you don't think he should, COME ON DOWN!!!

• Haha 2

Weren't we linked with Szmodics a few years ago? Might have been summer before the promotion season, although he'd have only been about 18/19 at the time.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Wouldn't bet on Diedhiou to miss any less after some of his last season 😁

Who would he replace in the team? Guessing he'd be a no10 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Wouldn't bet on Diedhiou to miss any less after some of his last season 😁

Who would he replace in the team? Guessing he'd be a no10 

looks it doesn't he? Although I seem to remember ColU fans saying he does his fair share of tracking back too and a lot of those clips show him coming from deep with the ball.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep I was thinking he does some great things in some clips and his teammates then let him down

He'll feel at home with us then 😂