IGNORED

The emotions of football

cidered abroad

• Admin

Decent article, funny thing watching the celebrations etc over the past two evenings brings back memories for me of when City etc have had those moments

People often give football bad press, but it is amazing how people can unite of the success of a side

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48212786

Brilliant article from BBC sport journalist.

We've all been there with the wild joy and the desolate defeats. Lot of football fans feeling so many emotions in the last couple of days.

It's why one cannot ever give up on the beautiful game.

As the saying goes ` Those who require an explanation will never understand. Those who understand do not require an explanation.`

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Decent article, funny thing watching the celebrations etc over the past two evenings brings back memories for me of when City etc have had those moments

People often give football bad press, but it is amazing how people can unite of the success of a side

People (usually those who don’t follow football it never go to games) are always amazed that I go to games alone most of the time, but what other situation is it so easy for a guy to go out on his own, meet a whole load of like minded people and have a bloody good time - when we win of course?

Made lots of “friends” that I’ve kept in touch with mostly via social media after meeting them at a City match and having a few beers, then met up again at future games. It’s brilliant

On Radio 2 today a City fan was on a phone in with Jeremy Vine saying about how he cried at the Hartlepool play off game, think his wife had given birth earlier in the day !! Then they had an Arsenal "fan" on and he was asked if he had cried at a game and he said he had never been to a game !!

Good article. There’s nothing quite like the emotions football can create. Two City games in particular spring to mind:

The 2-1 win vs Man Utd. The explosion of joy inside AG when Smith scored the winner was incredible, encapsulated by the footage of LJ swinging the ball boy around.

The 5-4 win at Mansfield. We were 4-2 down in a rollercoaster game with about 3 minutes left. The home fans to our left were goading us. Some City fans left early. Then Tinnion scored a penalty to fairly muted cheers...surely it was too late to rescue anything from the game. Within moments Lita equalised to prompt wild celebrations and before we had a chance to catch our breath Roberts whacked in the winner. Mayhem in the away end with people falling over seats and strangers hugging. Unforgettable.

12 hours ago, Offside said:

The 5-4 win at Mansfield. We were 4-2 down in a rollercoaster game with about 3 minutes left. The home fans to our left were goading us. Some City fans left early. Then Tinnion scored a penalty to fairly muted cheers...surely it was too late to rescue anything from the game. Within moments Lita equalised to prompt wild celebrations and before we had a chance to catch our breath Roberts whacked in the winner. Mayhem in the away end with people falling over seats and strangers hugging. Unforgettable.

Oh yes. What a day. I still have a scar on my shin from wild celebrating and hitting it on the seat in front.  Only when we left the ground did a policeman point to my jeans. When I looked down my jeans were covered in blood... didn’t feel it, didn’t notice it til that moment 

So I know I'm covering old and controversial ground but it is nights like the last few that mean I can never understand someone leaving a game early. If you leave early you are almost guaranteeing that you will miss out on so many of the clubs greatest moments. Not only is it often selfish (as people amble out the ground slowly, blocking the view of others) and slightly cringe-worthy, but it's also, in my opinion, quite silly. All the last minute winners and equalisers over the years, missed out on. It honestly boggles my brain as the rush you get for a last minute goal is greater than that of even promotion imo.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/qvm895/so-you-want-to-be-a-football-fan-heres-what-you-should-know

This is an article on a similar theme that a friend of mine wrote back in those halcyon days of Summer 2018. Back when Kieran Trppier was a god amongst men and everyone thought waistcoats were cool.

Shameless plug of a mate's work I know.

Your mate's name is ludicrous. I can't imagine there's too many Dipo Faloyin's on this planet!

33 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

So I know I'm covering old and controversial ground but it is nights like the last few that mean I can never understand someone leaving a game early. If you leave early you are almost guaranteeing that you will miss out on so many of the clubs greatest moments. Not only is it often selfish (as people amble out the ground slowly, blocking the view of others) and slightly cringe-worthy, but it's also, in my opinion, quite silly. All the last minute winners and equalisers over the years, missed out on. It honestly boggles my brain as the rush you get for a last minute goal is greater than that of even promotion imo.

You wouldn’t leave a film before the ending was revealed, so never understood why you would leave a game early (emergency or one off exceptions)

My top 5 moments of sheer joy and bedlam.

5. Roberts winner, Hartlepool, Playoffs '04

The roar when that goal went in almost lifted the roof off.

4. Smith's goal vs Man U, season before last.

Just the opposition that one, and the timing - 90th minute!

3. Tinnion up at Anfield, FA Cup '94.

Almost broke a leg falling between two seats, we were all standing on them :laugh:. I was limping for days afterward, well worth it tho.

2. Mardon goal, Forest away League Cup semis, '89

All of us were squashed up like sardines on those old terraces. When the celebrations died down, I think I ended up 20 yards away from where I'd been standing. (I remember one bloke near me taking a slash where he stood at one point in the game - you just couldn't move, let alone reach the toilets!)

1. Louie "God" Donowa vs them, '91.

Nothing more need be said about that!

I guess for Mardon and Donowa (in the Eastend), standing on terraces at the time made a difference. For wild celebrations you can't beat it. Maybe one day - I can hope - new, even greater moments will rewrite this list. But these will always live long in the memory.

22 hours ago, weepywall said:

On Radio 2 today a City fan was on a phone in with Jeremy Vine saying about how he cried at the Hartlepool play off game, think his wife had given birth earlier in the day !! Then they had an Arsenal "fan" on and he was asked if he had cried at a game and he said he had never been to a game !!

Thanks Weepy, I assume your our resident Foot-bawl expert?.........................I'll get my coat

11 hours ago, harvey54 said:

I cried like a baby when City walked out at Wembley versus Bolton  in 86. 

21 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You weren`t alone mate. A hell of a lot of us had something in our eye that day - must have been the sand from the dog track.

I think I was too pissed that day to cry; slugging cider from 8am rather numbs the emotions. 

Sealand Road, Chester in 84 on the other hand, when Terry Cooper and the boys emerged in the directors box to salute us all on the pitch...well if you were there then you'll know what I mean. Intense! 

Stevie Neville against Hereford was one of my greatest memories. Martyn Hirst's goal against the gas was my first. Brilliant, at the time  we were the underdogs. Hartlepool, liverpool and Manchester United stand out but I'll never forget dancing around  a pool table when Soren Anderson scored against Sunderland. As Fergie said " football, bloody hell"

Archived